Hello, De Pitt. I'd like to apologize for the useless thread, but I need some advice.

I leave for a residence room in Uni tomorrow, and Ive just learned my parents won't let me take my guitar (Gibson SG Special) saying that I should wait until I know it's safe for it. I do have another guitar, but it's a piece of crap (Stratocaster knockoff that. Needless to say, I can't take that god forsaken piece of junk. Any suggestions on how I can convice my parents otherwise?

TL;DR - my parent wont let me take my good guitar to uni, only my awful one. help me convice them!
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^
It's an SG Special. No one's going to steal it.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
You're going to uni, so I'm assuming you're 18, which means it is your possession, and they can't stop you.
how do you know your parents are wrong? do you already know if it is safe or not?
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Um, how OLD are you? Why are your parents still calling all the shots if you're going to college/uni? It's your shit, how can they stop you?
Quote by PlayMadness
It's an SG Special. No one's going to steal it.

this. it's a what, 800 dollar guitar? Not exactly a unique, priceless piece of art.
Quote by CoreysMonster
this. it's a what, 800 dollar guitar? Not exactly a unique, priceless piece of art.

True. If you have a decent TV or computer in your dorm, I doubt any thief is gonna concern itself with your moderately expensive musical instrument.
Say that it's your guitar, they should understand that.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
You're going to uni, just take it along with the rest of your stuff, its not like they'd notice. And if they do, they can't really do anything about it, you're at uni.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Up to you if you take it
If your worried, stick it in it case under your bed etc
That way, no one going to touch it
Seriously though, I'd be more worried about someone messing around and braking it then getting robbed
Epically after a few drinks lol
Quote by CaptDin
True. If you have a decent TV or computer in your dorm, I doubt any thief is gonna concern itself with your moderately expensive musical instrument.

especially since the resale value of a guitar like that is pretty low. I doubt anyone would get more than 600 out of it.
Quote by CoreysMonster
especially since the resale value of a guitar like that is pretty low. I doubt anyone would get more than 600 out of it.

I doubt that anyone robbing him would know anything about it's true value tbh, but it probably looks worth a dime or two.

However, I agree with the others: it's yours, so take it.
It's your guitar, use it when you need it!

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by CaptDin
Um, how OLD are you? Why are your parents still calling all the shots if you're going to college/uni? It's your shit, how can they stop you?

wait a second how could two early cuylers live in the same space time continum. its a goddamn conundrum.
Quote by zgr0826
It's your guitar, use it when you need it!

Clever.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I'm assuming they bought it and don't want it ****ed up, I know I wouldn't.

Buy a cheap one to stand in for a while or mod your strat.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000csb.html Probably $250 with shipping

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-500-Carved-Top-Gloss-Black_p_920.html That could be a little less.

One of those or ebay some parts of fix up your strat. I'm probably going to get a junker guitar and a POD for college so I won't have to bring my gear.

EDIT: And to all the hXc rebels saying to just take it, his parents are probably paying for all of his education, and probably paid for the guitar. They still have some hold over him. I don't act like an asshole to my parents just because I'm 18.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I doubt anyone would get more than 600 out of it.

Last time I check $600 was a pretty good chunk of money...
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm assuming they bought it and don't want it ****ed up, I know I wouldn't.

Buy a cheap one to stand in for a while or mod your strat.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000csb.html Probably $250 with shipping

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-500-Carved-Top-Gloss-Black_p_920.html That could be a little less.

One of those or ebay some parts of fix up your strat. I'm probably going to get a junker guitar and a POD for college so I won't have to bring my gear.

EDIT: And to all the hXc rebels saying to just take it, his parents are probably paying for all of his education, and probably paid for the guitar. They still have some hold over him. I don't act like an asshole to my parents just because I'm 18.

though I agree with your posting of the Agile guitar, some people also pay for their own education, have jobs on the side and dont have shit shoved up their ass all the time. If that is the case with TS, then he earns the right to take his guitar.
I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but, consider perhaps that your parents might be making a wise choice here. feel out the situation first. Are you going to have a roomie/roomies? See what type of person they are and whether or not there will be a lot of people in and out. See if there is a secure place. Your folks have been in the world quite a bit longer than you, listen to what they have to say.

I am going to make 2 BIG assumptions here, pardon if i am incorrect.

1) you are a student, traditionally students don't have a ton of extra cash, were it to be stolen, replacement would be difficult.

2) The fact that they want you to leave it makes me think that they may have paid for it and don't want to see it stolen, nor do they want to loan/give you the money for a replacement.

Perhaps everything will be OK, but I know that when I went off to school, i only took my squire and SS marshall, I could still play all I wanted, but didn't have to be concerned with losing it due to typical college irresponsibility.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by CoreysMonster

The average thief will take it.

Just tell them there are locks on doors at Uni so as long as you keep your door locked you'll be fine.
I wasn't trying to incriminate the TS. I was mostly trying to say that people who act like they're so big because they're 18 look like idiots.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I wasn't trying to incriminate the TS. I was mostly trying to say that people who act like they're so big because they're 18 look like idiots.

ok that I totally agree with

Quote by Craigo
The average thief will take it.

Just tell them there are locks on doors at Uni so as long as you keep your door locked you'll be fine.

true, but if he has his guitar in a case under his bed, I really doubt an average thief would take it. Thieves usually take items that are universally considered valuable such as phones, jewelry, computers, video game systems and televisions. Most thieves would look at a guitar case and forget about it instantly.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 3, 2010,
I dont understand why everyone's assuming he's 18. Unless he specifically pointed out he was, which he may have, there's absolutely no evidence or reason that he should be 18. I moved into my residence hall 2 weeks ago, and there are multiple kids who are still 17. Even my GF who's in college is 17...
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Hell I'm taking my Schecter Hellraiser, American Strat, Valveking and an 6 effects pedals with me to uni. I'll have them covered on insurance but even so, if I catch anyone stealing that sh*t from me they are going to regret it!

Seriously though, the halls will have security. If I wanted to steal your guitar I would have to get into the halls, probably by security card or something similar, get into your room by either using your key or breaking the lock, and get the guitar out of the building without looking suspicious or bumping into anyone who knows it's yours.

Pretty difficult I would say.

Also most people are going to steal things like TVs and laptops as they can be sold easily. Guitars would most likely be stolen to be used, which would be pretty obvious
Quote by CoreysMonster
Most thieves would look at a guitar case and forget about it instantly.

Not true at all. Any good thief will check the case before dismissing it. And they'll probably take it even if it looks expensive.

That said, lock your door TS.
Quote by mental_zer0
Not true at all. Any good thief will check the case before dismissing it. And they'll probably take it even if it looks expensive.

That said, lock your door TS.

My house got burgled a couple of years back, they stole a 47" TV, two clocks, a phone, an ipod, car keys and a watch. They didn't touch any of my gear in the front room, probably because they had no idea that combined it was worth more than everything else they took, and even if they did they would have a much harder time selling a guitar than a widescreen TV.

Not that this applies to everyone, but I doubt that the average thief would know the difference between a Squire Strat and Eric Clapton's Blackie.
Quote by RPBiohazard
Hello, De Pitt. I'd like to apologize for the useless thread, but I need some advice.
You came to the Pit for advice?

Quote by Dreaminmusic
I dont understand why everyone's assuming he's 18. Unless he specifically pointed out he was, which he may have, there's absolutely no evidence or reason that he should be 18. I moved into my residence hall 2 weeks ago, and there are multiple kids who are still 17. Even my GF who's in college is 17...
Even if he is 18, if his parents are paying for his schooling this semester, that might not mean shit. If your parents pay, you follow their rules. That's how most kids whose parents pay for college have to do it. Well, most kids whose parents give a shit about rules.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by Random3
My house got burgled a couple of years back, they stole a 47" TV, two clocks, a phone, an ipod, car keys and a watch. They didn't touch any of my gear in the front room, probably because they had no idea that combined it was worth more than everything else they took, and even if they did they would have a much harder time selling a guitar than a widescreen TV.

Not that this applies to everyone, but I doubt that the average thief would know the difference between a Squire Strat and Eric Clapton's Blackie.

Actually, with all of the scratches, dings, and missing areas of paint on Blackie, they'd probably take the squire first.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Thanks everyone. We've come to an agreement that I dont take it immediately, but they'll bring it to me within the first month.
Oh and I'm not a major yet, 2 years to go (it's 19 where I live).
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^