Anytime time I pick up my guitar to play my thumb and palm start to ache within seconds of picking it up. I've changed postures,chairs,stools,different fretting pressure and setting my guitar but nothing helped. So I finally decided maybe its time for a new guitar. Budget is below $700 USD and my current guitar is a MIM HSS Strat.

Budget:700 USD
Style:Classic Rock and Cleans
Quote by Tubyboulin
Apperently thats called rape Who knew?
Last edited by Kletus92 at Sep 3, 2010,
within seconds? thats not good there is seriusly something wrong with your hand
I had that going on once, I just chilled for like 5 days, and it kinda disappeared. If you do feel that you HAVE to play, then just don't do anything super technical, and stick to chords.
Perhaps you should just play with another guitar first to make sure it's not your hand, and it is in fact the guitar. To me it sounds like you might have a pinched nerve. My friend has nerve damage to his hand and he described it as a shooting pain from his palm through his thumb. Kind of sounds similar to what you described. But as for a guitar below 700...Ibanez would be a good way to go simply because they have more options than most guitar companies do at the price range you said maybe an Epi or a fender...
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Sep 3, 2010,
go to the closest store and try other guitars and see if it dissapears
by the way do you feel the pain on the picking hand or on the fretting hand?
Send me the $700 and I'll ship you an invisible guitar, guaranteed not to hurt your hand...
You're changing the guitar because of " hand aching " ?
IMO changing chairs and stools isn't really the best way to fight hand aches ...
Don't use a lot of force when you're picking, no excessive thumb pressure just to make sure the pick doesn't fall off your hand, press it lightly but not too light
The palm : are you always palm muting ? it's pretty common for guitarists to have palm aches after hours and hours of practice...

Did you start to play guitar recently ? If so, that's pretty normal it'll go away
Just give your hand a couple of days of rest and use a hand bandage
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
It's my fretting hand, It goes away when i switch guitars and it actually gets worse with chording.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Apperently thats called rape Who knew?
You need to go to the doctor...like someone said, you probably have a pinched nerve, and should get that fixed ASAP
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by Kletus92
It's my fretting hand, It goes away when i switch guitars and it actually gets worse with chording.

In that case you better go see a doctor, but I don't understand how does the pain go away when you switch guitars, are the MiM necks that horrible ?
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
Maybe its the shape of the Neck causing the trouble.

I had aproblem similar to that once....

I just got a Girl Friend and my Aching Palm went away. LOL
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder