Hey,
I've come somewhat out of tune with guitar gear, and I need advice for a compressor.
I have a Washburn x50 Pro FE (EMG pickups) and a Blackstar HT-5. No effects are used.
I want a compressor, as tapping sounds really weak, even on full volume.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Budget?
Want to go used?

Used is fine. I guess no more than £100 unless needed.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Used Barber Tone Press
Used Retro-Sonic Compressor
Used Diamond Compressor
Maybe a used Keeley 2-knob if you can find one.

Thanks for the input. Are any better than the others?
Cheers.
the tone press got a lot of love in my recent compressor thread. haven't grabbed one yet.

the keeley got a lot of hate for being so expensive. nevertheless, i have one on the way.

i grabbed a cheap $50 used Visual Sounds Comp 66, so far i don't hate it. been messing with it for 2 days.

i also have a mxr compressor coming, never played that one so no idea yet.
Do you think a compressor will help?
Tapping sounds fine on my Squire Strat/Fender Bullet amp, but I don't use them.
It sounds really quiet on my amp, which is on full volume/gain. I can upload sounds if people want.
Sounds like your technique is lacking. A compressor is going to squash your signal and reduce dynamics. Softer things will sound louder and louder things will sound softer, but if the technique isn't quite there a compressor isn't going to fix it. The HT-5 has plenty of gain on tap even without an OD in front of it.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Sounds like your technique is lacking. A compressor is going to squash your signal and reduce dynamics. Softer things will sound louder and louder things will sound softer, but if the technique isn't quite there a compressor isn't going to fix it. The HT-5 has plenty of gain on tap even without an OD in front of it.

I'm not sure whether it is my technique. It sounds fine on my other gear, even with less gain. It could very well be the guitar.
Quote by jacobparker
Do you think a compressor will help?
Tapping sounds fine on my Squire Strat/Fender Bullet amp, but I don't use them.
It sounds really quiet on my amp, which is on full volume/gain. I can upload sounds if people want.

'
I used a Diamond Compressor for a music performance for school a couple of nights ago and it worked great for two handed tapping.
Barge concepts RC3
http://www.bargeconcepts.com/rc1.html

It's on sale for $125 right now. I like that it has a detented pot for the decay speed so you can mess with the settings, or you can easily put it back into the stock Ross setting. They are comparable to Keeley compressors in quality and tone but they're much cheaper. It's worth checking out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I have a Maxon CP101 and I like it a lot because it's very transparent.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I love my HBE compressor retro.......killer ross clone.....if money is tight the mxr super comp is pretty good...
I have more news on the tapping. I tried it on my friend's Marshal MG, and it was clear (for an MG :P). I used it with my Washburn guitar, so it must be my amp.
i would scratch the tone press off your list. its great for cleans but overdriven sounds all it will do is slightly lower the volume and add noise. i had one for 4 years.

id say first step to more pronounced tapping is back off the gain.
Quote by gregs1020
the tone press got a lot of love in my recent compressor thread. haven't grabbed one yet.

the keeley got a lot of hate for being so expensive. nevertheless, i have one on the way.

i grabbed a cheap $50 used Visual Sounds Comp 66, so far i don't hate it. been messing with it for 2 days.

i also have a mxr compressor coming, never played that one so no idea yet.

Wh-..... Wha-..... Why the **** are you going to have 3 different compressors????? haha
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Stretch your budget and get a Philosopher's Tone, and prepare to be blown away.

Nah, heard a lot of horror stories about that one. Clipping inputs, lots of noise.
Quote by simpleben09
Wh-..... Wha-..... Why the **** are you going to have 3 different compressors????? haha

just want to be thorough.

i'm getting them cheap, i'll flip whatever i don't want. it takes a bit to see what works on my amps etc. i like to side by side stuff. i'll never find a store that has the different ones i want in order to try them side by side, with all my shit.

i'll have 4 od pedals again soon, for the same reason.

doesn't everyone do that?

^ I'll check out that barge concepts comp too.
Quote by gregs1020

\

No.

Anyway TS, I got a Roctron Reaction Compressor because it's true bypass, and it was on sale for like $50 I think. They go for $80 new.

No complaints. It does exactly what I need it to (I got it for almost exactly the same reason as you - tapping). I also use it as a solo boost, so it's a really good piece to have in your chain, imo. Any compressor though, whichever one you decide, they're just really cool tools.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
No.

Anyway TS, I got a Roctron Reaction Compressor because it's true bypass, and it was on sale for like $50 I think. They go for $80 new.

No complaints. It does exactly what I need it to (I got it for almost exactly the same reason as you - tapping). I also use it as a solo boost, so it's a really good piece to have in your chain, imo. Any compressor though, whichever one you decide, they're just really cool tools.

Yea, I will probably use it for sweeping too. I just wanted some recommendations.
Anyone agree with any posts mentioned here? I would rather listen to you guys over reviews- they are how I ended up with a Spider III.
Quote by gregs1020

To be honest, if I had the money, yeah, i would
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
To be honest, if I had the money, yeah, i would

it's really the only way i can side by side the options i want on my stuff. i'm supposed to get the CP101 today.

TS - also, maybe put up a poll so people can vote on the ones they like?
Quote by gregs1020
it's really the only way i can side by side the options i want on my stuff. i'm supposed to get the CP101 today.

TS - also, maybe put up a poll so people can vote on the ones they like?

I can't add one directly. I could just count votes, though.
Hate to bump an old thread, but it's better than making a new one. Christmas is coming up, and I need some stuff to put on it.
Quote by surface54
i would scratch the tone press off your list. its great for cleans but overdriven sounds all it will do is slightly lower the volume and add noise. i had one for 4 years.

id say first step to more pronounced tapping is back off the gain.

You must be doing it wrong. I loved my barber and only sold it when I realized I was starting to rely on it.

But +1 to practice/technique over new toys. You should be able to tap fine without any kind of compression
Quote by denied
You must be doing it wrong. I loved my barber and only sold it when I realized I was starting to rely on it.

But +1 to practice/technique over new toys. You should be able to tap fine without any kind of compression

Well, I can. It is just a lot quieter when switching from playing with a pick to tapping.
I've just ordered a Diamond Comp from the sole distributor in the UK (based on Penny Lane, Liverpool - GASfactory).

It's over your budget, but I've heard great things about this pedal.

I'm firmly of the opinion that a Compressor is an effect that should only be noticed when it's turned off. I'm not really looking for anything that really DOES too much to my signal if you get me.

For people who want that kind of thing the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone has a lot of features to it. Not used one myself but people who like to fiddle around a lot seem to have fun with this one.

Honestly, I think pushing your budget a bit might be a good idea. Comps are a vital and underrated piece of kit.
This is a great source for info on compressors-

http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

Compressor reviews is the link all the way down at the bottom.

I am not affiliated with this site at all, I just found it one day and it has great info.
Quote by Grawgos
This is a great source for info on compressors-

http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

Compressor reviews is the link all the way down at the bottom.

I am not affiliated with this site at all, I just found it one day and it has great info.

Thanks for the link. A lot of reviews though. Any more suggestions on which ones to look at?
stay away from the soul preacher... I used that thing for all of 20 minutes, and returned it. Not so much a compressor as it was a hiss generator. Sounded absolutely horrible. No matter how i set the knobs, whether I used battery of power supply, it sounded like ass.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
might an overdrive be a better idea? I'm inclined to think it would be...

or heck, £100 would buy you the tonerider overdrive and compressor both (though admittedly you could probably get a higher quality single pedal for £100, however the tonerider ones are very nice for the money).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bogg808
As I have probably stated before, you should really look into the Diamond Compressor...

Am doing. Cheers.

Quote by Dave_Mc
might an overdrive be a better idea?

I have overdrive on my amp.
Last edited by jacobparker at Dec 12, 2010,