The question is the title. I've been looking around, and lots of people seem to to favor using an eq pedal such as the Boss GE-7 for a boost. How well does this work in live situations? This would be used with a Valveking's overdrive channel, gain set on 1-2.

Lastly, a bit of confusion: when the term "clean boost" is used, it just means that it boosts the volume without adding gain?
first: yeah, that's a clean boost.

actually the GE7 works pretty well for boosting. but remember to put it in the effects loop of your amp. otherwise you will gain noise
What?
How does the Danelectro Fish 'n Chips compare to the GE7? It'd save me about $70, which I very much like the idea of.
almost every pedal-based eq would do the trick.
but keep in mind that stage use requires sturdiness.
look on craiglist or ebay for a used GE7, shouldn't be more than 50 bucks
What?
Yeah the dano is worth getting more than a boss or you could save up for the MXR M-M108 instead. If you want a clean boost then buy a overdrive pedal like a bad monkey to boost your tone if thats what you need or both. The EQ will just make it stand out more.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
I run an MXR Micro Amp through my FX Loop and it works out rather well. No real change in my tone at all. Just pure, all out boost. An EQ would have the advantage of giving you more top end bite or mid-range for your leads, depending on how you set it, of course.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by blything09
Yeah the dano is worth getting more than a boss or you could save up for the MXR M-M108 instead. If you want a clean boost then buy a overdrive pedal like a bad monkey to boost your tone if thats what you need or both. The EQ will just make it stand out more.

well you're a little wrong.
the eq can lift the volume of the whole signal (when it's in the effects loop).
when you put it in the direct signal it will also boost your gain.
BUT! for a gain boost, I would definetly recommend a good overdrive pedal (like an ibanez ts or a maxon od) also the mxr micro amp does quite a good job.
but this all depends on the way you wanna boost it.
so, in short:
for just a volume boost: EQ in effects loop.
for gain (and volume) boost: EQ or (better) overdrive in the direct signal path.

also a nice thing i discovered recently:
when you're using other effects in your loop and you want to kick them in together with a volume boost, you should take a look at the boss line selector, it has a knob to lift the signal.
btw: that's how i boost my signal
What?
Last edited by jesus3000 at Sep 3, 2010,

But, in terms of reliability how does the Danelectro compare? I've got a Chili Dog (love the way they name these things) which seems sturdy enough, but I suppose it depends on how big a difference plastic vs. metal really makes.
Quote by Frank_Black
But, in terms of reliability how does the Danelectro compare? I've got a Chili Dog (love the way they name these things) which seems sturdy enough, but I suppose it depends on how big a difference plastic vs. metal really makes.

when you move on stage like the dillinger escape plan, you should use metal
but when you're a more relaxed kind of stage type, plastic will do the trick
What?
when you move on stage like the dillinger escape plan, you should use metal
but when you're a more relaxed kind of stage type, plastic will do the trick

Thanks, I'm probably gonna go with the Danelectro. I'm more of the "stand there and stare at my shoes" type of person, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Honestly, if you know what your doing with an EQ, it can do everything an overdrive does as a boost plug more. Basically the OD has a set eq that you can adjust much, but the eq you can adjust the frequencies that you want to cut or add. Seems just better to me to use an eq if your only looking for a boost.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I went to a used music store and got a Washburn EQ for $40, and this thing sounds GREAT. When in the effects loop it'll do just the volume boost, but when in the direct signal it gives an amazing overdrive sound, and by boosting the bass and treble frequencies more then the mids, it starts getting into fuzz territory. I kind of wish I had two now so that I could run one in the effects loop and use the other as an overdrive, but that'll have to wait.