I just got a MusicMan Sterling stingray. Great guitar, love the smaller body and the preamp and such. I bought it used and took it too a guitar shop to have it cleaned and set.

I get it back, it sounds amazing and I love it.
Then I have to go on a camping trip for five days. I place the bass on my shelf, strings facing towards the ceiling, and leave. I come back 5 days later and I find that the strings(DR Black) are so close to the frets that, not even when a string is played open, no sound comes from the bass, just a percussive slap.

Please help.
Adjust the relief on the neck. Go take a look in the FAQ at the top of the page about setting up your bass, it should tell you everything you need to know
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
NEVER leave guitars lying around in the open. Temperature changes will warp the body and neck. At least keep it in a gig bag! Avoid sun beams, radiators, any other heaters, etc.
let me guess you took it from your nice warm house, out into the cold out doors then by a warm fire, then back out in the cold out doors, fire, out doors, hot cold back and forth for five days, and now your wondering why the neck is warped?

either way a truss rod adjustment will fix it, you're bass isn't ruined. its a simply (but intimidating) fix that isn't too hard. If you're too nervous take it to a local guitar shop and they'll sort it all out for like 30-50 bucks.
no sir away a papaya war is on
How about reading the guy's post before being a smartass... He said he left it on his shelf facing up. Anyway, maybe when you got it set up they adjusted the neck and the adjustments hadn't settled when they gave it back to you.
I would take it back to the shop that set it up and have them look at/fix it.
Turns out, my dumbass roommate left the window open. Were talking eight degree days and 50 degree nights. With alot of humidity (if it matters). I just ****ed around with the truss a bit. Problem solved.

THANKS GUYS!
Quote by zeroncali
How about reading the guy's post before being a smartass... He said he left it on his shelf facing up. Anyway, maybe when you got it set up they adjusted the neck and the adjustments hadn't settled when they gave it back to you.

looking back on my post I was being rather dickish and I guess I did misread TS original post. That you for calling me on it.

glad it got sorted out TS and sorry for calling you an idiot in a roundabout way.
no sir away a papaya war is on