I wanted to get a left handed guitar but use it as a right handed guitar because I like the way it looks with the pickguard on top.

Like Jimi Hendrix had and CC Deville plays one at one point during the I Want Action video and the guitarist from LA Guns uses one in the Ballad of Jayne video.

I just wanted to know if anyone has a guitar like this and if you would need to modify it somehow. I heard I would have to change the nut around or sand it down? If theres anyone out there that could help it would be greatly appreciated
Exactly what you have to do depends on the guitar you have. At the least you’ll have to cut a new nut entirely. You’ll also have to do a variety of stuff down at the bridge, but that will all depend on what particular bridge you have.
nonsense, just flip the nut, and then take it in to the shop for a tune up.
Quote by Seanstrom
all you'd have to do is flip the nut. that is all.

You can’t flip a nut. The slots are cut angled down in the direction of the strings and they sit on the angles apex; filing it down to work in reverse will drop the strings too low and they’ll ring against the frets.
i flipped the nut on my bass and it works just fine, if you're talking about an angled head stock i'd understand. but if its a normal non angled head stock then that problem does not exist.
Quote by Seanstrom
nonsense, just flip the nut, and then take it in to the shop for a tune up.

thats not all you will have to do. the bridge is intonated and adjusted for strings going low to high in the other direction. this means you will have to adjust the bridge, most likely just the saddles. and as mentioned before, you cant really just flip the nut, you will probably need a new one.

it isnt overly difficult to do, but it isnt as simple as just flipping the nut.
Quote by jof1029
thats not all you will have to do. the bridge is intonated and adjusted for strings going low to high in the other direction. this means you will have to adjust the bridge, most likely just the saddles. and as mentioned before, you cant really just flip the nut, you will probably need a new one.

it isnt overly difficult to do, but it isnt as simple as just flipping the nut.

that'd be why i said take it into the shop for a tune up, get the intonation done, the action too, and get all tuned up, new strings if you need em. then all should be set assuming you don't have an angled head stock.
If you're buying a strat it would need to be a rhythm guitar for sure. I've tried playing a right handed stratupside down and could barely get past the 14th fret because of the cutaway. It also made for some interesting sounds when I kept accidentally moving the volume/tone pots whilst playing

I've seen quite a few people wanting to try this lately though. Maybe if it becomes a fad we'll see some interesting new guitars from Fender next year
Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna just buy a cheap strat and try it out when I get the money