My band finished recording our EP and now we want to play shows and I've read that we need a PA system and I'm a bit confused about some things.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a PA system is supposed to make the whole band louder so the audience can hear us? If that's the case why not just buy louder guitar amps( and bass amps, vocal amps)?

Also what kind of venues usually have PA systems? We're going to call ahead of time and ask if they have one but a general list of places that usually have PA's would help.

One more question, if you have PA do you need a vocal amp or can you just plug in directly to a mixer?
Quote by avafreak252

Correct me if I'm wrong but a PA system is supposed to make the whole band louder so the audience can hear us? If that's the case why not just buy louder guitar amps( and bass amps, vocal amps)?

1-your drummer can be miced up
2-you can use the breakup from a smaller tube amp at a louder volume
3-you can control overall volume.

Quote by avafreak252

Also what kind of venues usually have PA systems? We're going to call ahead of time and ask if they have one but a general list of places that usually have PA's would help.

most larger venues have them, however calling ahead would indeed be wise.

Quote by avafreak252

One more question, if you have PA do you need a vocal amp or can you just plug in directly to a mixer?

you CAN run a mic directly into a channel of the mixer, however if you wanted to you could also run it through its own EQ/effects and such.
mojostompboxes.com
a proper PA system will include a powered mixer so that everything you put into it is mixed properly with the right volume levels etc, as for micing all the drums and amps etc it largely depends on the size of the venue and whether you are using monitors

a vocal amp is a PA amp btw (public address amp)