Page 1 of 2
I use a '59 Bassman LTD and a Russian Big Muff, and my SG is WAAAAAY too friggin' muddy with it (P90 p'ups and all ) So, I'm selling my Ibanez for $550, and I'm looking to buy a guitar with a max budget of $600.

I play dirty hard rock and some "metal" (Chrome Division, Godsmack, Motley Crue, Black Water Rising, like that)

I'm looking for something with active pickups, as I tried out an EC-1000 the other day, and the EMGs are just so raunchy through my big muff. Plus, the EMGs seem to be the only pickup that responds well to it, other than the Ibanez I'm selling. Unfortunately, the EC-1000 VB is WAAAAAY out of my budget.

I looked at the PRS SE Paul Allender sig, and it is really a nice guitar, though I know most people look like tools when they play a signature guitar.

So, $600, active pickups, preferably a mahogany body (not required, though). What do you guys recommend?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
EC-401? Not sure what it would be in America though.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
EC-401? Not sure what it would be in America though.

The lowest price they offer stateside is $649

Quote by sammo_boi

That's a good one, I'll definitely look into it on my next trip to GC

What else you guys got?

Oh, I should elaborate:

FIXED BRIDGES ONLY PLEASE floating bridge is the reason why I'm selling my Ibanez.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 3, 2010,
Fixed bridges only, please

Quote by LoudLove5150
Fixed bridges only, please

Damn, should've said that. Um...well, you could always throw Blackouts in an SG. I see you mentioned your current SG's pups are P-90s. You could either buy another SG or just replace your pups with Blackouts.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Fixed Bridges. I know Floyd Rose guitars better.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Damn, should've said that. Um...well, you could always throw Blackouts in an SG. I see you mentioned your current SG's pups are P-90s. You could either buy another SG or just replace your pups with Blackouts.

Edit: Sorry, I'm too familiar with Fixed Bridges. I know Floyd Rose guitars better.

Why do you think blackouts are so awesome?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I'd prefer to not go the SG route this time around. It's been a love/hate relationship Plus, I'd have to rout my guitar for the pickups. P-90s are slimmer and longer than humbuckers.

GC has a Paul Allender SE in stock for $549, which has caught my eye, and the trem seems fairly stable on it (strat-style) and I've also been looking at the ART300. I'd kill for the EC-1000 VB, but it's way out of my range.

Quote by sammo_boi
Why do you think blackouts are so awesome?

It's a more organic tone that EMGs. They offer more gain from the pickup with less noise. Except I'm not looking for all out gain, plus I prefer the tone of EMGs.

Quote by LoudLove5150
It's a more organic tone that EMGs. They offer more gain from the pickup with less noise. Except I'm not looking for all out gain, plus I prefer the tone of EMGs.

I was just curious as to why this guy thinks Blackouts are the be all and all of pickups. I personally prefer blackouts over EMG's, but passives are better than both so
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Seconding this, my mate has one and it kills, could always be his set-up though.

Also, any Schecter ever made, lol. Most of their models come in a EMG'd variant, so you should be able to find one you like. Mahogany everything and hardtails are almost their trademark tbh. Great workhorses.
Quote by sammo_boi
I was just curious as to why this guy thinks Blackouts are the be all and all of pickups. I personally prefer blackouts over EMG's, but passives are better than both so

Try getting a good tone with passive from a Big Muff

What about this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Solo-Elite-Electric-Guitar-584543-i1503923.gc

I'm trying to avoid the C-1/superstrat shape.

Quote by LoudLove5150
Try getting a good tone with passive from a Big Muff

What about this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Solo-Elite-Electric-Guitar-584543-i1503923.gc

I'm trying to avoid the C-1/superstrat shape.

Ahaha I was just saying

Give that one a go when your at the shop next time. It fits what you want so I'm sure it will be great. Schecter make some great guitars!
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Ahaha I was just saying

Give that one a go when your at the shop next time. It fits what you want so I'm sure it will be great. Schecter make some great guitars!

I'll definitely try out a bunch and see if they have a Solo Elite in stock. Thanks guys

I don't know why this hasn't been said yet, but an EC-1000 isn't at all over your budget. Ebay and Craigs List are your friends.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why not try hunting through the used market for an EC?.There are some amazing deals to be found if you know what to look for and have a bit of luck.

I got my JSX combo for $450 and the only problems were a small tear in the tolex and a blown tube,I threw in a new 12ax7 and saved about $1200 compared to buying new.

Edit: This fella beat me to it ^

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92
I don't know why this hasn't been said yet, but an EC-1000 isn't at all over your budget. Ebay and Craigs List are your friends.

Nobody on Craigslist around here has them, and I don't do Ebay. I prefer face to face transactions. Sure, it limits my options, but there's less shit to go wrong.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Why not try hunting through the used market for an EC?.There are some amazing deals to be found if you know what to look for and have a bit of luck.

I got my JSX combo for $450 and the only problems were a small tear in the tolex and a blown tube,I threw in a new 12ax7 and saved about $1200 compared to buying new.

Victorinox told me about you he used to be my roommate hi there.

Quote by LoudLove5150
Victorinox told me about you he used to be my roommate hi there.

I'm glad to see that my reputation proceeds me even after a year or more of inactivity on UG .

Vic was a good man,shame he ended up catching a ban hammer with his face .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'm glad to see that my reputation proceeds me even after a year or more of inactivity on UG .

Vic was a good man,shame he ended up catching a ban hammer with his face .

Idk why he talked me into coming here, but oh well. This place needs some revamping, by the looks of it. Not as lively as it used to be. I'll probably end up the same as him

Quote by LoudLove5150
Idk why he talked me into coming here, but oh well. This place needs some revamping, by the looks of it. Not as lively as it used to be. I'll probably end up the same as him

We all get banned eventually,it's just that some go sooner than others.I just hang around and occasionally give helpful advice/sarcastic nonsense to those in need.

Also,look at this:

Agile AL-3100

A flame top LP style guitar with EMG pups and some other nice features.Agile is a brand where you definitely get the most out of your cash.I've never heard anyone trash them,and I know more than a few people on here that adore them.

Quote by Pr0gNut
We all get banned eventually,it's just that some go sooner than others.I just hang around and occasionally give helpful advice/sarcastic nonsense to those in need.

Also,look at this:

Agile AL-3100

A flame top LP style guitar with EMG pups and some other nice features.Agile is a brand where you definitely get the most out of your cash.I've never heard anyone trash them,and I know more than a few people on here that adore them.

I'm over on The Open Jam on a regular basis, and it's near impossible to get banned there, so I'm a little off the beaten path in terms of limitations

I like Agiles, but I'm wanting to just walk in, buy what I need, and go home. I don't like waiting for shit to ship here, y'know? Plus, living in an apartment building, I can't exactly trust them to leave a package sitting around

That is a really sexy guitar, though

Quote by LoudLove5150
I'm over on The Open Jam on a regular basis, and it's near impossible to get banned there, so I'm a little off the beaten path in terms of limitations

I like Agiles, but I'm wanting to just walk in, buy what I need, and go home. I don't like waiting for shit to ship here, y'know? Plus, living in an apartment building, I can't exactly trust them to leave a package sitting around

Hmmm,I see your point.I live in an area with like no music stores,so all my gear gets shipped in .You could have them hold the package for you at the local post office or something like that,but yeah,waiting for shipping is a pain in the ass.

Trying to deal with the post office in North Carolina is like trying to get the DMV to convenience you in the slightest possible way.

Okay, I'm seriously considering that Agile now. Thanks Pr0gz_Nutz

Quote by LoudLove5150
Trying to deal with the post office in North Carolina is like trying to get the DMV to convenience you in the slightest possible way.

Damn,that sounds rough.

Hmmm,what about this?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper300FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584499

Edit: Haha,yeah,the Agile is a damn fine guitar.IMO it would be worth going through the annoyance of shipping and delivery to get such a good deal .

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Sep 4, 2010,
I think it could be your big muff. Those things are muddy as **** all in my experience. Not bad if that's what you're looking for but I don't think it is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Damn,that sounds rough.

Hmmm,what about this?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper300FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584499

Edit: Haha,yeah,the Agile is a damn fine guitar.IMO it would be worth going through the annoyance of shipping and delivery to get such a good deal .

I already own an SG, and I don't particularly care for the looks of the Viper. To me, the Viper is to an SG what the J Bass is to a Fender, except the J Bass is an amazing piece of work.

First thing Monday morning, I'm going to order that Agile

Quote by oneblackened
I think it could be your big muff. Those things are muddy as **** all in my experience. Not bad if that's what you're looking for but I don't think it is.

Unless you've heard active pickups through a muff, then you really don't know. It unleashes a whole new world of tones. Edgy, snarly, raunchy, beefy tones. Exactly what I'm looking for

Quote by LoudLove5150
I already own an SG, and I don't particularly care for the looks of the Viper. To me, the Viper is to an SG what the J Bass is to a Fender, except the J Bass is an amazing piece of work.

First thing Monday morning, I'm going to order that Agile

Nice

I'm not sure how fast they ship,but I've never heard any complaints about Rondo as far as costumer service and what not is concerned.Be sure to post a NGD thread when you get it .

Quote by Pr0gNut
Nice

I'm not sure how fast they ship,but I've never heard any complaints about Rondo as far as costumer service and what not is concerned.Be sure to post a NGD thread when you get it .

Well, this is all assuming I can sell my Ibanez by then. Let me rephrase. I'll order it as soon as I sell my Ibanez

Quote by LoudLove5150
Well, this is all assuming I can sell my Ibanez by then. Let me rephrase. I'll order it as soon as I sell my Ibanez

I hate having to sell old gear to buy new gear

It seems like nobody ever wants to buy your sh*t when you actually want to sell it.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hate having to sell old gear to buy new gear

It seems like nobody ever wants to buy your sh*t when you actually want to sell it.

I'm not having a problem with people wanting to buy it, it's people giving me shit offers. It's an Ibanez Prestige RG2610E that I bought off Vic a while back Thing retailed for a grand. I'm asking $600, and people are trying to badger me into $400, thinking I'm going to take it

Quote by LoudLove5150
I'm not having a problem with people wanting to buy it, it's people giving me shit offers. It's an Ibanez Prestige RG2610E that I bought off Vic a while back Thing retailed for a grand. I'm asking $600, and people are trying to badger me into $400, thinking I'm going to take it

Solution:

1.Fill a squirt gun with AIDS

2.Spray into the eyes of people who make bad offers

3.Travel back in time and bang dinosaurs

I can't see how that could possibly go wrong,it's f*cking as bullet proof as robo-cops taint.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Solution:

1.Fill a squirt gun with AIDS

2.Spray into the eyes of people who make bad offers

3.Travel back in time and bang dinosaurs

I can't see how that could possibly go wrong,it's f*cking as bullet proof as robo-cops taint.

Dinosaurs are too scaly, and they have really powerful kicking legs

Quote by LoudLove5150
Dinosaurs are too scaly, and they have really powerful kicking legs

Ok then,new plan...

1.Get a cape and a fake mustache.

2.Put them on.

3.Rape EVERYTHING!

There,no dinosaurs involved in that one.

Quote by Pr0gNut

Ok then,new plan...

1.Get a cape and a fake mustache.

2.Put them on.

3.Rape EVERYTHING!

There,no dinosaurs involved in that one.

HELL YES!

Page 1 of 2