everytime i sit down to try to create a song i get stuck, i end up with a bad headache and kinda irritated. i dont write, im trying to to write instrumental.
any advice on how to write songs?
When you get stuck, stop. Go do something else. Come back to it later. I'd say this'll prevent your headaches and irritation really. But it's best when you get stuck to set it aside for a bit.
My writing process is to just pick a key and play. Once I have a few riffs that seem to go together, I write them out in Guitar Pro so I don't forget. Then being a lead guitarist, I try to write solos and lead before the piece is even finished, and that's when I get frustrated, lol.
I always write in my head & then work it out on the guitar or piano or whatever, try doing that? What I found when I tried to write at the instrument is I would get stuck in a boxy way of thinking and churn out pretty generic stuff, but when I write in my head everything comes out more interesting. I usually figure out the entire song in my head, like the arrangement, the bassline, the chords, the solo... it ultimatley saves a lot of time writing and recording your stuff.

Give it a try, you'll find that your head is like a 16-track recorder and you can bring up a song at will and work on it in a quiet place provided you've really drummed the riff or chord progression or whatever into your brain by repeating it. I often tweak my songs when I'm outside having a cigarette, walking the dog, or even having a shit!
Start simple!

Pick two chords, and try and make something nice of this.

Composing is most about having momentum. When I'm on my game I can write large pieces quickly where the ideas seem to flow. Dont wait for inspiration, but work in bite size chunks. You are trying to hard to write down your opus every time you play. Go in with the mindset thinking "no one will hear this but me, so what's on my mind?!"
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I always try to write one riff at a time. get that under your fingers and see if you can feel or think your way around to what comes next. If you can't set it aside. Be patient, work on other ideas until you find ideas that can be connected.
Whenever you get irritated stop and do something else. You're not going to be able to write well if you are in a bad mood. Be patient, and write stuff down either on paper or on a program like power tab.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

I may not be able to speak for everyone when I say this, but you can't just say you want to write something and sit down and write it. When you force composition is when it starts to sound crappy and uninspired. Maybe you'll come up with something while noodling or jamming or something. Maybe you'll get a line in your head as you go through your day. Sit down THEN and work it out.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by brenton393
everytime i sit down to try to create a song i get stuck, i end up with a bad headache and kinda irritated. i dont write, im trying to to write instrumental.
any advice on how to write songs?

What do you know about music and writing instrumentals, that would allow you to write them?

Best,

Sean