I've had my Fender Strat for over two years and always loved it but I noticed how hard it has been to play.
I recently played my friends LP and it was worlds apart. Nothing required any effort at all, everything was smoother, I could go on for hours and not tire out at all.

Both guitar were in standard tuning and have .10 strings, why is the Strat so much harder to play? (Strings are stiffer, pick doesn't slide over the strings as easily, bending and vibrato cost a lot of energy)
The LP would probably be 24.75 scale, while a strat is 25.5'', which makes for naturally higher tension on your guitar. That, and maybe he uses another brand of strings?
Quote by Våd Hamster
The LP would probably be 24.75 scale, while a strat is 25.5'', which makes for naturally higher tension on your guitar. That, and maybe he uses another brand of strings?

It's a she and I bought the strings for her, we have the exact same brand.

So what, I'm just gonna have to deal with always having this much more tension?
Quote by Våd Hamster

This. You might benefit from putting some 9's on your guitar.

On LP's it is possible to play with 12's in standard whereas I never go above 10's with strats
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
i like some tension in my guitars. maybe try putting some .9s on your strat or getting it professionally set up.

Edit:^he beat me to it.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Sep 3, 2010,
I had a lespaul w .10s, and later when I got the strat 25.5 scale, I felt the same way so I changed to the hybrid (slinky top- medhvy botm) ernie ball hybrid slinky= 9,11,16,26,36,46. prob fixed, so you're not alone. Wait, I should mention I tune to Eflat now. Still.... Hybrid slinky is one option...
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's a she and I bought the strings for her, we have the exact same brand.

So what, I'm just gonna have to deal with always having this much more tension?

Oh apologise to her for me then

And no, you should definitely buy some thinner strings- Personally I'd recommend some light tops and mid/heavy bottoms- 09 11 13 24 34 48 would be my choice, but a simple 09 set will do you fine
Would a guitar like a Mockingbird be of the 24.75 variety?
Something like this?
I used to use 13s in D Standard tuning and I'd like to be able to keep the heaviness but also have it stay smooth and I've been needing/wanting/hoping for a new guitar forever now.

http://www.thomann.de/at/bc_rich_mockingbird_archtop_onyx_bk.htm

Quote by Våd Hamster
Oh apologise to her for me then

And no, you should definitely buy some thinner strings- Personally I'd recommend some light tops and mid/heavy bottoms- 09 11 13 24 34 48 would be my choice, but a simple 09 set will do you fine

Yeah, she's hot and has daddy issues too, maybe I can get you something out of it

The sound looses so much chunk though with 9s
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Sep 3, 2010,
Typically 24 fret guitars are 25.5'' or above, so I don't think so. And I'd still say, if you want heavy but smooth, customise your string sets- heavy bottom and light highs, for tight and heavy riffing and smooth solos.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Yeah, she's hot and has daddy issues too, maybe I can get you something out of it

The sound looses so much chunk though with 9s

My type of girl right there!

Not much chunk on the plain strings anyway though?
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by Våd Hamster
Typically 24 fret guitars are 25.5'' or above, so I don't think so. And I'd still say, if you want heavy but smooth, customise your string sets- heavy bottom and light highs, for tight and heavy riffing and smooth solos.

My type of girl right there!

Not much chunk on the plain strings anyway though?

Eh, I'll go grab two packs of strings next week and mix 11.s with 9s again.
Have you tried tuning down a half step to Eb Standard? This lets you keep the chunk of heavier strings and lowers the tension, making bends and vibrato easier. I personally also find it to sound a bit better tuned down but of course that's personal opinion.
Really? I have light top heavy bottom on my Edwards and they feel a bit loose sometimes in standard (just a bit, but I like it like that XD)

How often do you play? I'd think it's standard for most guitarists (who've built finger strength) to have enough strength to handle that tension. (10s on a 25.5" scale)

If you really can't handle it what about 9s for the top 3 and 10s for the bottom 3?