I ordered a Carvin a few weeks ago. Completion date is within a few days. Pickups seem like a divisive issue though. In case I end up hating them as well, I want to have a backup set to swap in, and as I'm likely to be picking up/ordering for what's not available in-store a shitload of stuff soon with my employee discount, I figure I'll get some pickups that, if I like Carvin's, I'll just return, but if I don't like them, I can take it to a shop, have them swap them out, and only lose a day or two of playing time plugged in.

I'm pretty much set on the neck and middle pickups, but I'm not sure what to go with on the bridge humbucker. To sum up what I'm looking for without going rambling, I'm looking for a good Les Paul bridge pickup, but with a bit more power for getting the amp and pedals to go up to eleven with the sonic insanity when needed.

EQ-wise and ramble-quality detail, I'd like something with decent mids; I don't want a huge load that override everything, but I detest scooped mids with a passion. Bass I want a decent amount of, but at the same time, it's going to have a mahogany body, so I don't want to get so much bass it'll go muddy. Treble, I'm looking for something similar to old, vintage stuf that was used in the mid-late 60's and on things like Zeppelin, Cream/Beano album Bluesbreakers/Gibson-era Clapton in-general, Hendrix and Sabbath that gave birth to metal; present and punchy when needed, but generally bitten-back so it doesn't cut your head off with top-end.

The reasoning behind each;

Air Norton - I like how descriptions make this sound. That said, I can't find many quality demoes of this that are playing anything like what I would play in the bridge position.

Mo'Joe - I'm a fan of Satch, and every review I hear of this pickup seems perfect for my needs; Good cleans, great distorted sounds, punchy, but reserved. Same time though, a lot of artist signature things like pickups seem like they try to make any guitar just sound like the artist, and while I like Joe, his tone's not what I want from my guitars.

PAF Joe - DiMarzio's pickup picker recommended this, and it seems like the Mo'Joe, but closer to what I want, being as it's lower-output, and it's described as a vintage-style PAF mixed with a more modern humbucker's snap. Plus being Joe's neck pickup alleviates some of the concerns of sounding like a copy in the bridge position. However it suffers from the same lack of good demoes as the Air Norton.

Rambling over, usual thanks to any responses and those who read my madness, and best wishes.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Mo'Joe sounds good for you mate. Don't worry, you won't get satched "sound" with it, that all comes from his other gear but the pickup is very good, I have changed my Les Paul's stock pickup with this and it has a very warm almost "woody" sound with a fairly high output.
I have a Mo Joe and PAF Joe and the Mo Joe is very unique, it's clean and bright In a good way, doesn't get muddy, has decent mids (NOT Scooped) and even all around. Kinda vintage, I really like it, I use it in the bridge, but to bring out the good harmonics, you gotta have ALOT of distortion (In my opinion). Also very expressive.

The PAF Joe has a very vintage Gibson humbucker feel to it, it is a bit Fat, almost muddy, good for expressive lead playing and great mild overdrive/clean sound. Notes kinda blur together, so cleaning up the sound would kinda be necessary. Harmonics aren't the best, but there doable. Though it has that bassy strat neck pickup sound to it, also unique.

I'm not to sure about the Air Norton. I haven't tried it, but supposedly it's a big fat sound that isn't muddy and with good harmonics, not to sure about the vintage specs.

Well, that's my opinion.

Then again, I was playing through a JS100, Maple Neck, Basswood body, Rosewood Fretboard, Edge III Kinda low Pickup height.

Saying the guitar you have, or all the woods used in it would help.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Mo'Joe sounds good for you mate. Don't worry, you won't get satched "sound" with it, that all comes from his other gear but the pickup is very good, I have changed my Les Paul's stock pickup with this and it has a very warm almost "woody" sound with a fairly high output.

Alright, thanks for the opinion mate.

Quote by LolCatGuitar
I have a Mo Joe and PAF Joe and the Mo Joe is very unique, it's clean and bright In a good way, doesn't get muddy, has decent mids (NOT Scooped) and even all around. Kinda vintage, I really like it, I use it in the bridge, but to bring out the good harmonics, you gotta have ALOT of distortion (In my opinion). Also very expressive.

The PAF Joe has a very vintage Gibson humbucker feel to it, it is a bit Fat, almost muddy, good for expressive lead playing and great mild overdrive/clean sound. Notes kinda blur together, so cleaning up the sound would kinda be necessary. Harmonics aren't the best, but there doable. Though it has that bassy strat neck pickup sound to it, also unique.

I'm not to sure about the Air Norton. I haven't tried it, but supposedly it's a big fat sound that isn't muddy and with good harmonics, not to sure about the vintage specs.

Well, that's my opinion.

Then again, I was playing through a JS100, Maple Neck, Basswood body, Rosewood Fretboard, Edge III Kinda low Pickup height.

Saying the guitar you have, or all the woods used in it would help.

Hmm...from your accounts it sounds like I'd be happier with the Mo'Joe then. And it'd be a mahogany strat-shape with a mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, a hardtail, and the pickup height I have no idea beforehand.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Another 2 to check out would be the Air Zone and AT-1. I have an Air Zone in the bridge of a guitar I built (Mahogany body, Korina/Wenge neck) and its a really great pickup. Its not scooped sounding, not too high output either, and its a great warm sounding pickup and not too bright.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 4, 2010,