I'm in the market for a new amp and I recently found a pretty good deal on a Carvin Legacy VL212. This will primarily be used for bedroom playing. Unfortunately it's 100w of tube, but can be switched to 50w. Is 50w of tube too powerful? Will the volume be down too low to get the real tonal value of this amp? If it is a poor choice could you recommend me a similar all tube amp? Something along the lines of Steve Vai, Satriani tones, more progressive rock tones.
Quote by ACDCfrontman
I'm in the market for a new amp and I recently found a pretty good deal on a Carvin Legacy VL212. This will primarily be used for bedroom playing. Unfortunately it's 100w of tube, but can be switched to 50w. Is 50w of tube too powerful? Will the volume be down too low to get the real tonal value of this amp? If it is a poor choice could you recommend me a similar all tube amp? Something along the lines of Steve Vai, Satriani tones, more progressive rock tones.

In all seriousness... volume knob
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Good amp choice first of all! But to answer the question, 50W tube is more than enough to play large venues with full bands, and much to powerful to get the amps full potential in bedroom situations. That being said, It doesnt mean that you wont be able to get a good if not great tone at bedroom levels with that amp. If you know how to use the amps eq and features properly, you will certainly be able to achieve a fantastic tone at a low volume. I play my 6505+ stack in my room every night, and its 120w tube. If you will use the amp for shows, or just love the amp, go for it. If your just getting an amp soley for bedroom use, but still want tube tone, look at the 5-20w combo's or even mini stacks (ie. krank rev pro jr, egnator, marshall even has some, blackstar...etc.)
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I'm sorry but most of you guys aren't understanding the question, thank you to the few that do.

I don't mean is it too loud, I know there's a volume knob.

Tube amps work best cranked, at low volumes sometimes they're comparable with solid state. Will I be able to get a good tone out of it even at low volumes.
Last edited by ACDCfrontman at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by ACDCfrontman

Tube amps work best cranked, at low volumes sometimes they're comparable with solid state. Will I be able to get a good tone out of it even at low volumes.

Tough call. I have to put my Valve King on about 7 with the gain at 9'o'clock for the tubes to start over-driving. I don't have a decibel meter...but it's pretty facking loud.

It's a 50 Watt combo through a homemade quarterstack if that helps.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
An attenuator down the track is also an option.

+1

Crank the amp to get your sound, then use a Power Attenuator to keep it reasonable.
It WILL be too loud. I have a 30 Watt Laney Tube amp and it jumps in volume from almost too low to hear to VERY loud and then keeps climbing steadily. :/ I doubt you would get that amp low enough to play without killing yourself. :/ But you could always get an attenuator.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
I don't see why anyone would want amazing tone at bedroom use unless you absolutely know that you will never be able to crank it at least a little bit. I have a 6505+ 112 and it's horrid at bedroom levels. Still better than most ss amps I've tried, but defintely not anywhere near it's potential. Getting a decent tone out of it requires at least the post gain on 4 which is LOUD. For sure, too loud for regular bedroom use, and even enough for small venues.

Personally, I'd say if you have any thoughts of getting a band in the near future, 30w or more would be your best choice, IMO.
Quote by ACDCfrontman
I'm sorry but most of you guys aren't understanding the question, thank you to the few that do.

I don't mean is it too loud, I know there's a volume knob.

It really depends how low you're talking. The Legacy is a LOUD amp, I used one for about a year. The amp sounds smoother and smoother the more you crank it. It's usable at bedroom levels, but it's not going to sound full. The Legacy doesn't get progressively louder, it goes from 0 to LOUD. Running it at 50 watts won't make much of an audible difference in volume. You'll be running fewer tubes hotter.

Great amp, but not a bedroom amp.
Quote by Guitarmiester

Great amp, but not a bedroom amp.

this.

try a tweaker, or if you are a hardcore satch fan, find a jsx mini.

but i thought the mini sucked. ymmv
Master volume........also you can unhook 1 speaker.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Even cranking a 15 watt amp to its full potential will be loud, but much more reasonable.

yea but it sounds better at lower volumes, which is the basis of the thread. i have to get the tweaker to barely audible levels before it starts to sound thin. (which I would expect...)

i live in a condo full of blue haired volume nazis, and have never had a complaint.

my 12 watt deluxe clone has a more spastic volume pot. it does ok at lower volumes, but the tweaker is much better there.

but TS - choke the **** out of 100 wattr if you want. It's your call.
It won't sound as good as when it's cranked, the speaker won't be travelling very far for starters, but with some EQ'ing it will sound fine turned down. I used a JCM900 4102 that way for years. Why do you need perfection in the bedroom? All you need is for it to be useable surely? Trying to get Satch tones at speaking levels is ludicrous, you have to move the speakers to pull that off.
What matters is how it sounds when you drag it out in front of a crowd next to a drummer. Get the amp that is best for that and just live with the tone you get when playing with yourself in the bedroom. It'll be fine. If you need to be really, really quiet, just get an Amplug. Even a 5W Champ will wake the people in the next room if you play it loud enough to sound it's best.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There's no such thing as too much power. Get it, and make sure the entire neighbourhood can hear you playing.