Hey guys, recently I've been aving a problem in holding my pick consistently with Lead to Rhythm transitions. For instance: I'll be playing some kind of Palm Mute intensive, Thrashy rhtyhm, and that will be going fine. Eventually, when I try and play Lead, The pick will be turned at some really awkward angle, and effects my over all lead technique. I've tried to tighten up my grip on the pick, but my Right Hand balls up too tight, and starts to feel tense and a tad painful. If I try playing too light, the pick doesn't want to keep a solid position.

I'm really stumped here atm, if I'm honest. Any ideas?
Grip your pick harder?

I usually grip my pick fairly hard with my thumb on the top and index finger on the bottom. I tend to hold my pick slightly off of a 90 degree angle. I've found that I rarely have any trouble with my pick moving. Or with picking in general. In fact, since I've been holding it tight in the manner I described, I've had zero issues. Been doing that for like 4 years now.
Quote by Faded Grey
Hey guys, recently I've been aving a problem in holding my pick consistently with Lead to Rhythm transitions. For instance: I'll be playing some kind of Palm Mute intensive, Thrashy rhtyhm, and that will be going fine. Eventually, when I try and play Lead, The pick will be turned at some really awkward angle, and effects my over all lead technique. I've tried to tighten up my grip on the pick, but my Right Hand balls up too tight, and starts to feel tense and a tad painful. If I try playing too light, the pick doesn't want to keep a solid position.

After 15 years of playing I still have the same problem sometimes. I play rhythm holding the pick slightly differently from how I play lead. Changing between the two sometimes ends up in my dropping my pick on the floor.

To combat this I have taught myself to play rhythm with just my fingers, holding the pick in my mouth. Then I play lead with the pick.

I realise that this might not be the best solution if your rhythm playing consists of a lot of palm muting and Thrash rhythms. It sounds like you want to develop a grip that works with both rhythm as well as lead. Some sort of compromise grip. In my experience you get used to a new grip very quickly.

Hope this helps somewhat,
Willem
Quote by Faded Grey

The part I bolded makes it sound like you don't really have control over your pick when you are playing rhtyhm. (unless I misunderstood).

There's definitely not one right way to grip the pick. Everybody's different. And yeah the last thing you want is a tense hand.

Maybe examine your technique at various tempos and find out how, when and why the pick turns to strange angles. You might be able to fix it if you can isolate the problem by making some slight adjustments.

Also using picks with good grip surfaces can help control. I use Dunlop maxi-grips... they feel like sand paper (but I still manage to drop them sometimes)