TL;DR? Scroll down.

After playing metal with a "strat" through a 10-watt starter amp for 6 years, I do believe it's time for an upgrade.

My mom is letting me pick out an entire new rig for my 16th (bring on the flaming..) birthday because she feels bad that my brother got handed down a car. Emotional women. Whatever, it gets me good gear.

She was under the assumption that a good guitar and amp would run her $5000, give or take. I...corrected her. Before she told me, I was looking for a setup that was about $500. Bad guitar + bad amp. Yay. Now I have around $1000, with lots of leeway. She says she doesn't care how much it costs, but I'd be loaded with guilt if I ran her pockets.

There's a few guitars that I'm looking at, all around the $799 range. I understand that most of the sound comes from the amp, I've been lectured on that here many times. I don't care. First is the Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR , but I read on a UG review that it had a thick neck. That's not exactly what I want, considering that I play this "strat" with a neck that feels somewhat like a 2 by 4...The 2nd is the LTD MH-1000 FR.

TL;DR, GO HERE.

Now after the wall of text that nobody is going to read, I need to find an amp and/or pedals that that don't break my budget. No, I will not cut down on the guitar. No, I will not save up money for a half-stack unless it's cheap AND good for it's price. I need a metal tone, not really sub-genre specific - just metal. I'm not the biggest fan of having every single effect you can get on a guitar; all that stuff on the Line 6 spider amps..completely unnecessary for me. All I'd like, if anything, is reverb. From what I know, metal distortion can't be obtained from a simple cheap amp, so it'd have to be a pedal. Then again, I AM completely ignorant when it comes to amps.

Oh, one more important detail. My amp rarely goes over 3 volume, so it doesn't need to be able to shatter the neighbors windows.

Sorry for the wall of text, guys. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Aturaya at Sep 4, 2010,
get a little tube amp and a boss pedal....or i love my line 6 pedal.

I really didnt like the solo 6 i played........but ya know different strokes for different folks.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
Last edited by Its HypnoToad at Sep 4, 2010,
You could pick up an older Peavey Ultra Plus or Triumph easily in your budget, they'd be great for your needs, and leave you a little extra for a guitar, or you could get a 6505+ 112 combo for about $600 if you dont want to go used.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 4, 2010,
Blackheart HT-5 gets thrown out a lot here for small tube amps.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by derpdragon at Sep 4, 2010,
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by Koshman32
Blackheart HT-5 gets thrown out a lot here for small tube amps.

I've never tried them,have you.....just curious

i like the vox ac15 aswell for a small tube.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by littlephil
No.
In his budget he can easily do a lot better than the Spider, and he wont need a distortion pedal either. Plus neither of those pedals are particularly good for metal.

No, no, you must be misreading. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but...

$1000 with leeway - $800 guitar. By leeway I mean, it can actually move anywhere it wants, but the higher it goes, the higher my guilt goes as well.

The Blackheart BH5 seems to be pretty nice, but I'm gonna be a little careful with this.
Unless you've dealt with a double-locking floating trem like on both the guitars you posted, you'd be better off going with a fixed bridge guitar. My best suggestion is an LTD EC-401VF and a Peavey 6505 60w combo.

With the Labor Day Sale coming up, you'll end up paying (max) $1200 for the whole set-up

Last edited by LoudLove5150 at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Its HypnoToad
I've never tried them,have you.....just curious

I haven't, but I've heard some good things about them on here they get recommended quite a bit (from what I've noticed). I was actually thinking about having one ordered in, until I tried out my MESA and loved that thing.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Aturaya

$1000 with leeway - $800 guitar. By leeway I mean, it can actually move anywhere it wants, but the higher it goes, the higher my guilt goes as well.

The Blackheart BH5 seems to be pretty nice, but I'm gonna be a little careful with this.

You'd be better off to spend a bit more on the amp and less on the guitar. You can get some really nice guitars for less than $800, and the amp is what will make the most difference to your tone.
Quote by LoudLove5150
Unless you've dealt with a double-locking floating trem like on both the guitars you posted, you'd be better off going with a fixed bridge guitar. My best suggestion is an LTD EC-401VF and a Peavey 6505 60w combo.

Trust me man, the time I spend retuning my guitar right now will be a fraction of the time I'll spend pissing around with springs.
Quote by littlephil
You'd be better off to spend a bit more on the amp and less on the guitar. You can get some really nice guitars for less than $800, and the amp is what will make the most difference to your tone.

I stated that I've been lectured countless times about that. :P
I don't want to come off as arrogant or anything. I'd like a guitar that I can keep for quite a while, one that will stay with me. Unless ultimate-guitar is full of drama queens, anything BUT a FR-1000 or OFR won't do that. I understand that the amp carves most of the tone, but I can rarely find cheaper guitars that fit my expectations/wants.
Quote by Koshman32
I haven't, but I've heard some good things about them on here they get recommended quite a bit (from what I've noticed). I was actually thinking about having one ordered in, until I tried out my MESA and loved that thing.

oh ok,yea I've seen em online and wondered too.....but didnt see any set up at GC last time I was there.

But I'm pretty happy with my Jr. for a bedroom amp.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
I would say deff get a nice amp and go try those guitars if you haven't. Cause I hated the wide flat neck on the Solo 6...nice looking guitar though.

But GL with finding what you want.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
Honestly, your best idea with the deal you have going on with your mom, is to go to a music store, and try everything out! Test out guitars, find one that feels comfortable and is playable in your hands (and is in a resinable portion of your budget, try and keep it under the halfway point of your budget). Then once you've found the guitar, start trying out amps with that guitar. Using the rest of the budget you have set for yourself band this is where, if you feel the need to, to bring the budget up to get a better sound. Don't settle for something. If you feel bad about having your mom spend more money, tell her you'll pay a portion of it back to her.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
He's going to ignore us and buy whatever the hell he wants, dude. So just look forward to a thread about him whining at some point in the future

Quote by LoudLove5150
He's going to ignore us and buy whatever the hell he wants, dude. So just look forward to a thread about him whining at some point in the future

UG has helped me make a lot of previous decisions, so..
And moving from a Fender starter kit to a rig that runs ~$1000-1200 isn't exactly going to produce something that will make me whine.
Quote by Its HypnoToad
oh ok,yea I've seen em online and wondered too.....but didnt see any set up at GC last time I was there.

But I'm pretty happy with my Jr. for a bedroom amp.

I'd still like to test one out, just to see what they're like for a small amp. I'm more than happy with my MESA. Can switch it to 5 watts when I'm in my bedroom, then back up to 30 watts when I'm out jamming (or when no one else is in the house and I feel like rattling the windows
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
-Peavey 6505 1x12 or Egnater tweaker combo

- Ibanez S series ( shredable necks and the ZR trem which is great IMO)

- Pup swap for the Ibanez and an OD/distortion pedal of some sort

That would be my suggestion,but meh,I've only been playing for 8 years so what do I know about gear hahah.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Aturaya

the Blackheart BH5 is NOT a metal amp. Look at the BLACKSTAR HT-5 not the BLACKHEART.

If it's only for home use, the Blackstar ht-5 with an OD pedal or a Blackstar ht-20 is good also.

For guitar, dont get a guitar with a floyd rose tremolo if u change tunings. It's really annoying to change tunings on a floyd rose guitar. Check out an ESP LTD h-1001nt or a MH-1000NT.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
the Blackheart BH5 is NOT a metal amp. Look at the BLACKSTAR HT-5 not the BLACKHEART.

If it's only for home use, the Blackstar ht-5 with an OD pedal or a Blackstar ht-20 is good also.

For guitar, dont get a guitar with a floyd rose tremolo if u change tunings. It's really annoying to change tunings on a floyd rose guitar. Check out an ESP LTD h-1001nt or a MH-1000NT.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Blackstar not blackheart. I actually spent a couple minutes pondering back and forth if it was blackstart or blackheart. Guess I should have taken 15 seconds and googled it.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
if youre not playing in a band the blackster th-5 could be good enough (ive never tried it though).

i sort of agree with the TS...he might as well have a god guitar and spend less on the amp seeing as he doesnt gig or jam. while the HT-5 is more than $200 much more would have to be spend on an amp of the same quility with higher volume
A Jackson would be a good guitar to look at in your price range. Try this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-868342-i1447149.gc

It has good quality stock pups, certainly looks the part and the compound radius neck is a dream to play. Even with one of the more expensive paint jobs it's still bang on the money you want to spend.

As an alternative, and as someone has already suggested, look at an Ibanez 'S' series. I know what you mean about locking trems other than OFR but it's not always the case. Sure, the Ibanez Edge III is a terrible trem system but an 'S' series guitar uses the ZR locking trem and that is widely regarded as one of the best you can get. What's more, the Wizard II neck is super thin and fast. It even makes my Jackson feel thick! I would suggest looking at this as an alternative to the Jackson I suggested:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S570DXQM-Electric-Guitar-105916183-i1499770.gc

The guitar looks beautiful, is light and fantastic to play with a superb trem. The only weakness is the stock pups but for what it's costing you can afford to buy whatever upgraded pups you want and then you're tailoring it to exactly the sound you want.

As for an amp, I'd agree that you look at the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and you won't need any pedals to give you the distortion you want. It should be OK for home use, though certainly not quiet, and be plenty loud enough for a gig, especially if you mic it or hook it up to a 4X12.

Hope that helps.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
You have a $1,000.00 budget? Here's my advice on what to get. First of all, I would look into the Epiphone G-400s which are IMO, great guitars for the price. I own one and once they're setup properly, they'll last you a lifetime and are perfect for Metal. After all Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath plays SGs and he invented Heavy Metal, so if they're good enough for him, well I think you get my drift. The Peavey Vypers are the best amps going today IMO, for Solid state combos and have some really great distortion not to mention all of the effects that are built into them. Of course the Sampera pedal will cost you an extra 99 bucks but it's worth it. They are much better than anything Line 6 or Marshall's MG series has to offer.
Quote by Aturaya
UG has helped me make a lot of previous decisions, so..
And moving from a Fender starter kit to a rig that runs ~$1000-1200 isn't exactly going to produce something that will make me whine.

It will if you spend $1000 on shit. If you want better tone, first get a better amp. a 6505+ combo is $600 new and then you can get a nice Ibanez RG or S series used for around $400. That'll make for a good metal setup. If you need a lower wattage (i.e. bedroom) amp, the Blackstar HT-5 is a good choice.
Quote by jeffo46
You have a $1,000.00 budget? Here's my advice on what to get. First of all, I would look into the Epiphone G-400s which are IMO, great guitars for the price. I own one and once they're setup properly, they'll last you a lifetime and are perfect for Metal. After all Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath plays SGs and he invented Heavy Metal, so if they're good enough for him, well I think you get my drift. The Peavey Vypers are the best amps going today IMO, for Solid state combos and have some really great distortion not to mention all of the effects that are built into them. Of course the Sampera pedal will cost you an extra 99 bucks but it's worth it. They are much better than anything Line 6 or Marshall's MG series has to offer.

I don't mean Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne metal. I mean full blown modern metal/core, Lamb of God, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red..etc. And I'm morally against Epiphones.
Quote by 1201ZJ
Look into Roland amplifiers.

/thread

lol no.

+1 on the 6505
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Last edited by adj209 at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by adj209
lol no.

+1 on the 6505

Out of curiosity, why not?

The cube series has a clean channel modeled after one of the best clean amplifiers of all time (sounds exactly the same to my ears)

And It also has a nice Rectifier distortion setting. Not perfect, no, but still great sounding to my ears (and others, because if it weren't for the help of UG, I wouldn't have purchased mine)

Anybody suggesting the 6505 must not have noticed that the guy wants only for his mother to spend $1000 The 6505 runs about $600. AND he said he was looking at new guitars, and from what I can infer, he wants a $700 guitar.

If he really wants to go as high as $600, I'd recommend the Bugera 333XL combo.
Clarification time.

I went to guitar center, all they had on display was a couple Marshall Combos, Line 6 spiders, and some Vypyrs. The Line 6 150 watt was hogged by some kid playing the same deathcore riff for an hour, the smaller ones seemed to have trash tone and fake as hell distortion, and the Vypyr had too much effects for me to care. It sounded better than the Line 6 though. I would have checked out the Roland Cube 60, but none were on display.

The MH-1000 is only available online, I tried a couple similar ESP guitars and they were pretty comfortable. I found a Schecter Guitar very similar to the one I linked to, only it was a strat shaped guitar. It was pretty nice.

Now I'm looking at a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo or whatever it is. I'm just wondering whether or not it'll give me the distortion I need. Just to clarify, again, I don't play metal like Sabbath/Ozzy. It seems pretty nice, and if it lacks the balls I need, I'll just run a distortion pedal before it.
The 6505+ has more gain than you'll ever need. Most people who own them (me included) keep the gain at no more than 5 or 6. Even for the most brutal stuff.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Quote by Aturaya

I'd recomend against that. I have the bh5 and its got amazing cleans but nothing near metal. I'd say get the ht-5 and a bad monkey overdrive.
The thing is, I play cleans sometimes. It all depends on my mood, but I don't care if they're lousy. The guitar has coil tapping, so that will help, but my cleans can be sub-par for all I care.

I've only recently gotten into cleans because my metal setup is sounding less like metal and more like buzzing with a tone. Cleans are the only thing I can get to be moderately good with my setup. But I really don't care for them.

The 6505+ seems like it's gonna do it for me. An EMG 81 running through that seems like it's gonna be more than enough.