Hey guys, so im kinda stuck in a situation and i could use some opinons. So im a bassist (duh lol) and also a lyric writer, but sadly i dont have any of the tools to really help me out with either of those right now. What im wondering is should i get a new bass first, or a new laptop and guitar pro 6? (I like wriitting stuff on there and it helps me think of lyrics.)

I havnt been able to play bass much lately cuz i had to sell my bass and amp to be able to pay my dad rent a few months back, so im kinda rusty, but i cant really think of any interesting songs or anything when im just messing around on my bass by myself. And my computer just broke about a week ago so i was thinking of getting a new one and getting guitar pro 6 with it (i had the demo and gp5 on my old comp) and when i mess around on gp, i feel like i can come up with alot better stuff, cuz if i have drums and guitar at my disposel it makes writing so much easier for me, but i cant actually practice those songs or anything.

I just got a job so within a mont or 2 i can get everything, but im not sure which to get first. I already know what bass i want and i dont have to get an am right now, i can wait a nother few weeks or months, and im pretty sure what laptop i want to, so pretty much its a decision of weither i should practice my skills playing what i already know and most likely not make any songs for awhile, or make songs and not be able to actually play them for awhile.

Tl;dr, should i get a bass first to practice what i already know and regain some of my skill or a laptop and continue my songwriting for alittle while without being able to actually play what i make.

Thank you
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Well do you need a laptop for anything else? If you need a new computer for something like school or work or any necessary or practical application other than Guitar Pro, get the laptop. If you have access to a computer (I assume you do since you're posting this) and it will suffice for any computer related needs for now, then get the bass.

It should come down to which one you need more. Will you get more use out a new computer than the bass, or can you get your computer-related needs done for a little while, allowing you to buy a new bass?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Well actually im posting this on my droid lol. But ya, for the most part the laptop will mainly be used for gp, but for the rest of my family normal computer stuff until they can get there own (i want this laptop to be actually MY computer once im able to move out) and even then it will just be a computer when i need to do stuff on the internet, but maily for writting music.

I think i would get more use out of comp/gp atm. I have some lyrics on my phone i have been dying to make music for, but when i try to write with just my bass, i get nothing. When i eventually get in a band again though that wont be as much as a problem, its easier for me to write with other people. But also i want the comp to have my own stuff made and maybe be able to show a band what i can do, or show a band im in a new idea
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Well it sounds like you've answered your own question there

You should get the laptop if you'll get more use out of it. I think the bass community here will agree with me in the fact that we all love seeing a NBD, but sometimes there are other priorities that need attending. A bass won't do you much good if you need to surf the web or print something out, and you can see if you can borrow a bass if you desperately need one.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Ya, i guess i did lol. Ill just get the laptop first and then a few weeks later get the bass, and then a few weeks after that get an amp and by the time all thats done hopfully i should be have afew songs written and be back to playing how i did before i sold my old bass lol. Well thanks tostito lol, i just wish i could get paid more and fast to get this all together sooner >_<

~Zanascross

XD epic win
I don't really get the problem.
If I had absolutely nothing, the first thing I would buy, would be a bass.
10-20 years ago, none of the great songwriters used laptops or gp.
But maybe that's just me...
if it helps your creative juice following, then I would say get a laptop first as well. Then you can write a song about how your dad made his son pay rent to live under his roof; rather than letting his son live w/ him out of pure love.
^i know, really XD we were both going to the same technical college at the time though and we both had a job there through a program at the school and he said while im living there i have to pay rent or get out <_> its all good though, im with my mom now =p but now its time to savee up for my own place lol

~Zanascross

XD epic win
And i know what you mean cranky, but i just cant write anything good when its just me and my bass. I will be able to get a bass just a few weeks after the laptop, so its not like im only gonna be writing stuff just on gp for years then finally pick up a bass again. And plus my family needs the computer to so i guess it just makes more sense to get the laptop first

~Zanascross

XD epic win