I'm thinking about building a guitar sometime in the near future, been looking around for places that sell necks as I don't think I'd be able to make one. Every site was way too expensive for me, then I saw this in the mall!

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=4211104&category=Guitars&catalog=Online&tab=1#more

It's first act so it obviously pretty shitty, but for 50 bucks would the neck be useable enough?

Thanks in advance for any help
my advice is to see if you can try one out before you buy it, if you like how the neck feels, go for it
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
I honestly doubt it, you might get lucky with one but chances are it will have sharp and uneven frets among other problems. Check out guitarfetish though, 30$ necks for the most part same with pickups and very cheap hardware so give them a look.
Mate Ill be honest with you. Ive built two guitars including the necks, one being a neck through. If you take your time and always follow the measure twice cut once and be gentle shaping it you can make a neck easy. But yeah you get what you pay for but ultimately its up to you
The ones I have played are not good. The frets were not good, not even playable. But I can't speak for all of them, I have only played 2 or 3 strat knock-offs. I would also try Guitar Fetish.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Useable yes. Quality no.

Quote by Shashing
I honestly doubt it, you might get lucky with one but chances are it will have sharp and uneven frets among other problems. Check out guitarfetish though, 30$ necks for the most part same with pickups and very cheap hardware so give them a look.

I have ordered neks from guitarfetish. Twice.
My reccomendation is to get the Finished neck. I got one Blank headstock(unfinshed) and 1 finished Tele style neck.
the Blank unfinished one had tons of fret tearout, sharp ends, you name it. The filler they used didn't even match the Maple colour.
I think I have a link in my signature, for my Oak Telecaster. May have taken pictures of blank neck.

For me, for what the shipping was worth(Had to get EMS Express, which isn't really express because it took a week to ship 600 miles) I could've gotten the 100 dollar neck from Musicians friend(Shipping was free from MF, but on Guitarfetish, it's 45 dollars or something ridiculous like that)
I rant alot
..I was watching my death.
^Maybe it would be better to get from ebay. I have seen necks like Fender and Jackson necks go for a very reasonable price on there. Sometimes under 100, and those are good necks.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
necks arent nealy as hard to make as people think. i made a pretty nice one from flamed walnut with nothing but a bandsaw, rasps, and a benchtop belt sander. i never got around to the fretboard though because my build pretty much fell through. but i still have that neck.
Quote by Invader Jim
necks arent nealy as hard to make as people think. i made a pretty nice one from flamed walnut with nothing but a bandsaw, rasps, and a benchtop belt sander. i never got around to the fretboard though because my build pretty much fell through. but i still have that neck.

Your Ghetto drill press wasn't used here?

I agree. I have not built one yet, but I carve stuff. Using rasps, and knives, and rough on the bandsaw.
Mainly toy swords for my litle brothers birthday present(No money present idea. Just use scraps from your guitar building )

eBay is a decent source for guitar necks. But, there's always the chance that the seller is an absolute dipshit, and doesn't mail the product untill 5 days after you ordered it, except you needed it 2 days ago, and paid for express shipping.
So... That would be a warning for you.
..I was watching my death.