Hey guys, I'm very much considering to get a wah-wah pedal. Problem is, I don't really have any knowledge on wah-wah pedals. What should I look for in a wah-wah? Do you guys have any idea which wah-wah's out there are any good?
Help would be appreciated!
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
I play a lot of classic rock (Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, the Stooges, etc.), but also stuff like Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age (which my guitar tone resembles most). Also, the more modern version classic rock (Baroness, Mastodon, Kylesa, etc.). My budget isn't much of a problem, I always save lots of money to get the exact stuff I want.
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
The "Standard" crybaby will cover classic rock with ease.

The one I have is the 535Q, it's pricey compared the the standard, and to be honest I never really tweak the settings that much, mainly out of lazyness, but if I ever need a distinct wah sound I can get it easy enough.
Hmm, the 535Q is considerd a jack of all trades. Should do a decent enough job covering all those. The heavier stuff you'll be better off with something like a morley, but i don't think that'll do any of the more classic rock type stuff, though really my experience is limited. I don't know a great deal about higher end wah's, but there are guys on here who do and from what I understand if you can afford a bit more cash there are some great wah's out there (RMC/Fulltone/Budda etc) But I couldn't tell you much about those. Sorry
Quote by ProgFolk12
Hmm, the 535Q is considerd a jack of all trades. Should do a decent enough job covering all those. The heavier stuff you'll be better off with something like a morley, but i don't think that'll do any of the more classic rock type stuff, though really my experience is limited. I don't know a great deal about higher end wah's, but there are guys on here who do and from what I understand if you can afford a bit more cash there are some great wah's out there (RMC/Fulltone/Budda etc) But I couldn't tell you much about those. Sorry

I'm not into the whole death metal scene, but the 535Q can handle Metallica and the likes pretty well.

Edit: That being said, Kirk use to use the standard Crybaby. I believe Satriani used the 535 before getting with Vox, and he used a fair amount of gain.
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Sep 4, 2010,
The Budda Budwah is good fo high gain I heard, though I've never tested it myself.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I don't think you are going to beat a fulltone clyde deluxe for the styles you are asking about. I have one for sale too pretty cheap if you are interested.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
i have the 535q and im not that keen on it, i had the slash wah before but it packed in so i decided on the 535q but for some reason i cant get a sound im realy happy with, the slash wah gave me the sound i was after straight out the box
Quote by DeadlySurfer

Edit: That being said, Kirk use to use the standard Crybaby. I believe Satriani used the 535 before getting with Vox, and he used a fair amount of gain.

Nope. Kirk used a modded Dunlop back in the day before the DCR came out. Satch used a custom built thing in a Dunlop case. IIRC Teese made it for him. That was then incorporated into his signature wah.

TS, if you can spend a bit more than most here, check out stuff from Teese, Fulltone, Area 51, Keeler, etc. I use a Teese RMC3 and love it. Extremely versatile and very nice sounding. The Fulltone is almost as versatile and also nice sounding. I owned both and went with the Teese as it was a bit quieter and I liked the tweakability. The Area 51 is also extremely versatile and nice sounding. The Keeler is probably the least versatile of all and I still haven't gotten to try one but clips make it sound very nice. The others would probably be better for your situation though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would stay away from Dunlop Wahs, they don't sound great, and they brake all the time. I would try the Ernie Ball 6185 Wah. I have tried all wahs, and this thing sounds great with high gain. It is extremely reliable, I am not to nice to my pedals. Not to big, its the same size as my Volume JR by Ernie ball. I would %100 get it. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-6185-Wah-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-104305214-i1402432.gc
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by kracdown
I would stay away from Dunlop Wahs, they don't sound great, and they brake all the time. I would try the Ernie Ball 6185 Wah. I have tried all wahs, and this thing sounds great with high gain. It is extremely reliable, I am not to nice to my pedals. Not to big, its the same size as my Volume JR by Ernie ball. I would %100 get it. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-6185-Wah-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-104305214-i1402432.gc

Dunlop wahs to tend to sound crap but most I've seen are solid as a rock. If they're broked it's typically user error.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
MXR/CAE Wah is my personal favorite under $200. It doesn't have that annoying high end brittle-ness that you normally get with crybabies.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.