I was wondering, how would oak-wood for a body turn out in terms of sound and feel?

Basically, just the fretboard part and the top side of the body.

And for the finishing, no colors or anything. more sort of like Satin/Matte (not the glossy/shiny type) finish that looks like the inside of an oak tree.

As well, how would the following parts work out in terms of sound & sustain (mainly for the tuners, lock-nuts, and the tremolo system: Gold, Silver, and Titanium.
I'm not sure how Oak would sound as a body, but I have heard of it being used for fretboards.

If by Gold, Silver and Titanium you mean actual solid pieces of those metals for parts, Gold would be absolutely useless, I'm not too sure about Silver, and Titanium would be good, but all 3 will be extremely expensive.
Oak would be heavy, a guitar made from it would be like trying to play an anvil with strings.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Well I'm using oak for my build, link in sig lol.
What I would say is that:
Yes it does splinter, but only if you're silly with it. Using normal woodworking rules about the grain (i.e. never go against it) I have absolutely no tear out splinters in my build.
As for the hardness and difficulty to work, it's also not that bad. If you keep your tools sharp it will plane nicely, it does take patience to do any chiselling but it's fine. Gives a lot more potential for accuracy than a softer wood.

For a satin finish use an oil, like tung oil for example.

Titanium hardware is the only one that would be durable enough, the precious metals are too soft. Using google I found this: http://www.tisonix.com/shopping/main/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66
The prices are crazy though, you'll have to spend a lot to get what you need, and they don't do tuners.
Titanium IS hard to work if you are an amateur metalworker. It has to be cooled extremely well as it will stop cutting properly at higher temperatures, and the cuttings are liable to catch fire =S

I would strongly recommend just sticking with standard chrome, gold or black chrome plated hardware, for economy reasons.

EDIT: oh and that place doesn't do tremolos
Last edited by lozlovesstrats at Sep 4, 2010,
I've never heard of an oak fretboard, but as a bodywood it carries similar properties as ash.

And just stick with standard hardware, as everyone's already said it either won't work or will be very expensive for little gain.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
I have heard that laqure on oak can turn blue for some reason though, so test it first if your gonna do that.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by C/ruel
I've never heard of an oak fretboard, but as a bodywood it carries similar properties as ash.

And just stick with standard hardware, as everyone's already said it either won't work or will be very expensive for little gain.

this, and this

and from what i've seen (In the US atleast) Ash is much cheaper. I got enough ash for two HUGE neck-through bodies at about $3.80 per board foot, and i got like $20 worth.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
About the titanium, you might not need to make your own if you dont want to.

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/

Found out about that page one day a long time ago. BUT its crazy expensive!!!!!! An oversized titanium sustain block, only the block. 200$. Thats not much, is it? A set of titanium saddles (6). Only the saddles. 795$ yep. Thats CRAZY! insane... Dont know if they are worth the prize.

Anyway thought Id let you know, go check out the page I thought it was intresting.

Cheers
Jonathan
So... I should just stick with the usual stuff then? Mahagony body? Would it be possible to give the Mahagony a natural Satin/Matte look & feel resembling that of the inside of a wooden log?

I'm probably going to end up selling the guitar once it's done so I'm not as concerned about how expensive it'll turn out.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the inside of a log' but hey. Mahogany is probably your best bet if you want to sell it, people know and love mahogany.
What I would say is though, if this is your first build, you will make mistakes, and a customer will see them, and you can't really demand a high price for it. Stick to a budget and get some practice first, keep the first one, make a couple for some friends at a reasonable price, then you can start to sell to strangers.
TLDR: You'll probably make a loss if you use hardware that expensive.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I would not use oak... It is extremely hard, splintery, and VERY hard to work with.

Depends what type.
I don't get where your getting the splintery part from.
When I made my Tele, there was no splinters at all.
I used English oak, And I've also worked with white oak before. No splinters.

Oak sounds warm.
See the tonewood thread. Pretty much same sound as Swamp Ash.
..I was watching my death.
Tyrone, it does splinter if you're impatient, but I'm going to presume you're a good workman and know better than to chisel sideways towards an edge etc I'm using English oak for my build as well, but mine's extremely dense, so I'm hesitating as to what it's gonna sound like.
Not sure about splintering, you might try it in combination with other tone-woods on the body,
Oak sounds, very rich, clear, and bell like, very beautiful sounding wood.
Many people, it seems, do not know there are more than 1 type of Oak. The kind most people recognise is American or European White Oak. This is very hard the drier it is and can splinter. but with very sharp tools, a fantastic smooth finish can be achieved.
But please concider Red Oak.......a beautiful timber....not quite as dense as the white but an excellent tone wood and easier to work. An excellent alternative to swamp ash or ash because of it's already rich red colour.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Hurr? Sorry, but I think you're late for the party, man...

11'ers... Such noobs.
..I was watching my death.
I use real Oak and even custom made blockboard to build my guitars.
Oak fretboards just like the old girl herself

Titanium hardware is a gimmick. Titanium has a better strength to weight ratio than steel but steel is still stronger, even though it's heavier. Brass blocks can get you an insane amount of sustain if that is your concern.