cause from what i know the original strings on this squeir tele were i think were 9-36, if i use a heavier gauge string (11-48) would it destroy my bridge by making the notches bigger or would it be fine
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
Ever heard of dividing by 0? It would have an effect like that.

Not really.

You may need to adjust the truss rod after to allow more tension to be on your neck without the bend. After, you may want to reintonate, or at least check it. But no, it won't destroy the bridge, and don't go running off adjusting the truss rod all willy-nilly, take it slow and think your way though it.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I play a Fender Strat, so things might be different, but overall, I'd say you're safe. You might need to adjust the truss rod, but I've never heard of strings destroying the bridge at all. I have, however, put heavier strings on a guitar and had the nut break soon after, because I had forced the string into a smaller groove. Perhaps that is what you were referring to?

Really, the best way to know is to try it. If it fits, you'll be fine. Just don't force it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
@black star
yeah i forgot to ask about the nut breaking what kind of strings did you put on what guitar?
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Well, the strings may have a little tough time through the telly's nut, but if the strings don't fit get a filer and file the gap a bit so they would fit c:
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by ronkun
@black star
yeah i forgot to ask about the nut breaking what kind of strings did you put on what guitar?

They were Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom strings (10-52) on a Fender Strat. The low E is the one that I forced in, and the area that ended up breaking. I was in a hurry, so I didn't think about filing the nut to put it in safely. Don't make the same mistake.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
It'll be fine.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
unless you're body's made of bolsa wood or something i wouldn't worry about it, you might want to adjust your truss rod and i hope you have a nice low tuning planned for this
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
@lolometer1
so i should stick to a half step down tuning instead of standard if i do this?
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Why would you tune to standard with 11's? They are meant for drop tunings. You CAN tune to standard with them, but they will be quite tight, so unless you like that I would stick to 1/2 step down.

And like has been said you only really need to adust the intonation and maybe truss rod.
When i used a heavier gauge string on my Mexican stratocaster the low E string saddle got damaged.
Now it doesn't hold the string in place without slipping up the bridge a bit.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
Quote by maggot9779
Why would you tune to standard with 11's? They are meant for drop tunings. You CAN tune to standard with them, but they will be quite tight, so unless you like that I would stick to 1/2 step down.

And like has been said you only really need to adust the intonation and maybe truss rod.

Not specifically, some people just like the feel. I have 11's on my Hamer and it plays amazingly, and bends are still easy as hell to do.
Anyway, didn't SRV play with 14s or something?
Quote by xharass_natox
Not specifically, some people just like the feel. I have 11's on my Hamer and it plays amazingly, and bends are still easy as hell to do.
Anyway, didn't SRV play with 14s or something?

Right, like I said, "You CAN tune to standard with them, but they will be quite tight, so unless you like that I would stick to 1/2 step down."

I have a bass string on my Ibanez (63 I think) and it feels great for dropped C and lower but when I tune it up to D it feels way too tight for me.
didn't mean you should, i just like low tunings and i'm a rhythm player and i've got 11s on 2 guitars 1 in standard, one in drop d and 12s on my drop c/d standard. it's really up to you what tuning you have it in, was just saying i like low tunings, more specifically drop a#
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Quote by maggot9779

Actually, 10 and 11 gauge strings were pretty standard since the 60's as far as I know. Light strings (like 9 and 8 gauge) were brought about with the help of guys like Tony Iommi who couldn't handle such high tensions.

I play 11's in standard all the time because I like that tension and it makes the guitar sound better. I get a fuller tone with a bit more meat to it.

I love heavy strings and I couldn't imagine a 64 in Drop C x_x Maybe 54...

Stevie Ray wanted 14's, but settled for 13's in E Flat. A bit heavy for my tastes (I go up a gauge for every step I go down from standard. I use 11's in standard and E Flat, 12's for D and D flat, 13's for C, so on and so forth).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 4, 2010,