Page 1 of 5
- Tony Blair

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has described radical Islam as the greatest threat facing the world today.

He made the remark in a BBC interview marking the publication of his memoirs.

Mr Blair said radical Islamists believed that whatever was done in the name of their cause was justified - including the use of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons.

Mr Blair, who led Britain into war in Afghanistan and Iraq, denied that his own policies had fuelled radicalism.

Asked about the argument that Chechens, Kashmiris, Palestinians, Iraqis and Afghans were resisting foreign occupation, he said Western polices were designed to confront radical Islamists because they were "regressive, wicked and backward-looking".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11182225

Thoughts? Is he right? Can the same be applied to anything else? I can imagine bigger threats in the world than that.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Nuclear war as a result of paranoia and self fulfilling prophecy related to Islamic nations is the world's greatest threat.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Greatest threat to public transport but that's about it.... anyone want to show me the door?

There are greater threats in the world, but everyone has different opinions yadda yadda
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Eh, I don't know about the greatest threat, but it's definitely up there. The others I can think of are resource depletion, global warming and North Korea triggering a new world war.

In any case, I think that Tony Blair, with his years of experience in foreign affairs would know better than any of us.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Sep 4, 2010,
I thought swine flu was the world's greatest threat.
Quote by vagelier
Nothing is more arousing for girls than a man who claims that he doesn't have worms - and can prove it with conclusive evidence.

Black
Then
White are
All I see
In my infancy
Red and yellow then came to be
Reaching out to me.
Lets me see.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Western polices were designed to confront radical Islamists because they were "regressive, wicked and backward-looking".

But yeah, we know there were always extremists and terrorists. There always have been.
Surely though, invading their country didn't help?
Western culture is the biggest threat to itself at the minute, all the invading and oppressing its doing.
I think it's the sun. When your home circles a huge burning ball of fire radical islam ain't so bad XD
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
"Religion is the world's greatest threat"
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Conformist
I think it's the sun. When your home circles a huge burning ball of fire radical islam ain't so bad XD

Nice

I think that invading countries which contain radical Muslims without having firm evidence of there being a threat from those countries is pretty sure to make more radical Muslims.

And I want Blair to go away now.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
"Abrahamic religions are the worlds greatest threat"
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Quote by pag_slash_2
He be saying this because he ****ed up by going to war in the middle east

Mr Blair didn't exactly help anyone when it came to Radicals.
Although the same could be said for Bush and Reagen
YNWA
I think Religion is general is the greatest threat.

Then of course the minor problems such as conservatives who support the pro-life euphemism and other similar regressive view points, overpopulation etc.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I may be wrong but I think that the UK being involved in Afghanistan and Iraq helped fuel radical islam. I may be more wrong, but I dont think the 7/7 attacks would have happened if the UK hadnt gone to war with the US in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I dont think radical is the biggest threat. Aggressive foriegn policies, dwindling resources and monetary greed are the biggest threats. They all lead to bad things.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
He's saying that because he ****ed up the whole going to war thing. He's got to say something like that just to try and save face.

I'd say Sarah Palin becoming President of the USA is a big threat, because she's so dim, omg she's so dim. And you know, religion, nuclear war, North Korea, conflicts in the East, dwindling resources, the threat of double-dip recessions, over-aggresive spending cuts by governments...and so on.
Last edited by Matt_Malmsteen at Sep 4, 2010,
I agree with The Kush and TheBurningFish and say nuclear anything is the worlds greatest threat. Not these guys.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Radicals of any religion is a problem. Accept that some people have different beliefs.

That being said, I have nothing against religion itself; I consider myself Christian.

Quote by bogeaqyt
Ignorance in general is the greatest threat to humanity.

This man is loaded with truth.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Sep 4, 2010,
silly people are the greatest threat to the world.

Tony Blair seems to be one of them.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Religious fundamentalism is dangerous, Islamic or otherwise. I don't know whether it's the biggest threat to the world, but it's a pretty big threat to progress and an enlightened society as far as I can tell.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
Religious fundamentalism is dangerous, Islamic or otherwise. I don't know whether it's the biggest threat to the world, but it's a pretty big threat to progress and an enlightened society as far as I can tell.

Agreed. Christian fundamentalists have probably killed just as many people as Islamic fundamentalists. Jews? I dunno, Judaism is a pretty damn small minority.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by offthewall91
I agree with The Kush and TheBurningFish and say nuclear anything is the worlds greatest threat. Not these guys.

I disagree. Nuclear power is safe until a human gets involved. Wait...
People give 'radical Islam' to much credit in concern for its danger to the world. Especially considering less than 1% of Muslims are considered "extremists" or "radicals". This "Islamaphobia" that is running rampant in America's beloved and usual ignorant, unintelligent conservative bigots is more of a propellor to radical Islam than anything else.

Bigger threats to the world are everywhere, and are obviously effecting a lot more people, such as world hunger which kills 17000 kids daily, and climate change which kills 150,000 people a year.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Madagascar is safe, though.

Unless, of course, the pandemic stems from there.

^ True dat.
Islamic terrorism is the result of centuries of destructive interference from other cultures, they don't have the means or the desire to destroy the world. The world is in far more danger from the superpowers who brand these people as radicals
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Not sure.

I don't think nuclear war is the greatest threat because of MAD, mutually assured destruction, unless the nation that fires first doesn't care if they get blow the **** up. That's who we have to look out for.

Iran and North Korea
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
No it isn't at all. Radical Islam was only encouraged in the 20th century by the US to counter the spread of communism in the middle east (since to these fundamentalists the only thing worse than the christian west is an athiest)

This is pure scaremongering, it's all Tony is good at. Lying and manipulation.
The biggest threat to the world as civilization is the destructive economic model that has been pushed since the 1980s.

EDIT: and ofcourse these movements are resisting foreign occupation, that is the very ideal they rose from. Whether it was in Iran, Afghan or the Sudan. Radical islam was legitimized to the local populace as being freedom fighters against western powers
Last edited by imthehitcher at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Highway60Bob
People give 'radical Islam' to much credit in concern for its danger to the world. Especially considering less than 1% of Muslims are considered "extremists" or "radicals". This "Islamaphobia" that is running rampant in America's beloved and usual ignorant, unintelligent conservative bigots is more of a propellor to radical Islam than anything else.

Bigger threats to the world are everywhere, and are obviously effecting a lot more people, such as world hunger which kills 17000 kids daily, and climate change which kills 150,000 people a year.

How the **** does climate change kill 150 000 per year?

Better give me a source because a ****in .2 degree change in temp isn't going to kill anybody until the ice caps start melting.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
How the **** does climate change kill 150 000 per year?

Better give me a source because a ****in .2 degree change in temp isn't going to kill anybody until the ice caps start melting.

probably something to do with droughts, poor harvests caused by bad weather, floods etc
you must be pretty simple if you believe climate change ONLY causes the polar ice caps to melt.
Quote by Highway60Bob

Actually the figure is reported to be closer to 300,000
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
The world's greatest threat is the energy crisis.

I will agree that Radicalism IN GENERAL is a much more volatile issue. This applies as much to Christianity or radical anything as it does Islam, though.

Frankly, though (and people have literally been found bloated in the East River for saying stuff like this...) our entire civilization has malignant, stage III cancer, and our chances of survival are questionable.

Let's look at the economic crisis. What's causing it? Foreclosure. Okay, that's a HUGE oversimplification, but we'll work with it.

So what causes Joe the Plumber to lose his house?

No money.

So why does Joe the Plumber have no money?

Because Sally the Housewife has no money.

Why does Sally the Housewife have no money?

Because Ted, her husband have no money...

Following the chain all the way back to the top: Where does "the money" come from in the first place?

If you guess OIL you're right! What have we won?

...that is if you again simplify the energy industry as "oil," and frankly that will work. It's like the drug cartels in Mexico. One's dealing in meth, another pot, some in heroin, cocaine, okay, whatever. Same shit, different drug.

Severed heads are showing up on the border regardless of the product.

So comparing these two industries, which is very, very easy to do, by the way:

How does a drug cartel work? It's a pyramid scheme. People bash and slash and bodies float up in rivers until some apparent "peace" is established. And what is this peace?

It's basically an agreement between the biggest, baddest drug guys to stay out of each other's turf and even work together as their common enemy is government.

And whose common enemy is government besides Mexican drug lords?

If you guessed the Tea Party you're absolutely right!!

What have we won?

And what is the Tea Party? It's the public face of a bunch of slimy, viscious, soul-less white people who have all the money.

Where did your money go?

It went to a handful of white people. And it's not meth or heroin or crack they're selling us - it's gasoline, coal and methane. AND WE'RE ALL HOOKED!!!

So back to "Radical Islam" - why is Islam the bad wolf in this scenario? Hmm... interesting question.

What tends to be the dominant religious culture in the places which happen to be sitting on the biggest stashes of oil on the planet.

Anybody? Oh... sorry, it's not Animism. Yes? Ooh, no, Paganism is way off.

Drumroll please... ISLAM!!

Hey, what a surprise. So why are Islamic radicals such a "threat," exactly? Well, if you look at the handful of white people who have all the money and have the concentration of power in most of the world who are they shaking hands with?

The Saudis.

Well, the Saudis (at least the Princes and Kings and whatever you call them) are not what you call "good Muslims." Like their white counterparts they basically lust after money and live lush and decadent lives in whirlpools being fellated by hordes of women they can legally marry and from whom blow jobs are okay according to their distorted views of the religion they supposedly follow (for appearances.)

So bottom line: "radical Islam" is a rather entertaining, but largely ineffectual response to the global corruption circuit that is killing everything and everyone, slowly strangling not only our species, but every conceivable species except those which thrive on acid and waste.

It's a cover. "Radical Islam" is a bunch of kids who have been convinced they can "make a difference" in the "revolution" by selling out and suicide bombing lunch counters in Pakistan. The US/European media loves it because it's a helluva story, and it draws attention away from the REAL STORY, which the media is not obliged to tell you...

And why is the media not obliged to tell you the real story?

Hmmm... could it be that the 5-ish media companies that exist in the world are OWNED BY THE SAME PEOPLE?!

DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUH!!!!!

Aint hard to put this shit together. Most of you will ignore this post, or PLEASE GOD, some may read it and think, "Well, duh, we already knew that!"

Nobody in the history of the known Universe has every accumulated more wealth amongst a smaller group of people than the Fossil Fuels Industry has accumulated since the beginning Industrial Revolution.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Page 1 of 5