Page 1 of 3
Hey UG,
In the US lite beer has becomed the most popular beer type which has inspired some brewers here in Denmark but they never managed to make us drink lite beer. We just didn't get the point. I did my own little research but I hope that some lite beer drinkers might tell what exactly the point is.

I have narrowed it down a bit.

Argument 1: I can drink more beer without getting drunk!
Because of the reduced alcohol content you can drink about 7 lite beers and have the same amount of alcohol of 6 normal beers. Is it worth it? Not in my opnion.

Argument 2 Healt reason.
There are about 40 less calories in lite beer. It makes some sense but the remaining 100 calories should be enough to give you that beer gut - especialy if get drunk on the stuff. Futhermore I can't imagen the following conversation in a college dorm room:
"You wan't a bud?"
"Sure, but only if it's lite - I have to watch my weight".

Argument 3. The taste.
Come on! Some of it taste like water with added beer flavor. A full strength budweiser has more taste than the lite version but of course if you don't like the taste of beer, it might be the stuff for you.

Argument 4. Drinkability.
You got to be kidding me. Can you say chugability?

Argument 5. The price.
I don't if it's cheaper but if it was, it would make some sense. I only found one price list for beer and the price was the same, but maybe it's different other places.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
It's like low-fat milk. It's made for pussies.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
It's beer for girls. I buy it for my girlfriend and it makes her happy.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Lite beer is cheaper.
A 30 of bud lite is a few bucks cheaper than Budweiser.
And the only time I've seen people drinking lite beer is at parties to get wasted. Most high school and college students can't handle real beer, which sucks so that's what's at parties. Plus, the cheaper price makes a huge difference when you end up buying a ton of beer.
Quote by Kensai

This

where i work most people stick to pints simple as
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Most likely because they chug it.

I actually enjoy beer for the taste, not the fact that it gets me drunk.
i've never actually seen a lite beer as far as i can recall. what brands do lite versions?

i've seen adverts for coors lite, but i don't think i've been in a bar that sold coors.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Cuz sometimes you don't feel like a heavier beer, like before you're gonna eat or something, idk. I much prefer real beer but lite beer has it's place
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I am a Dane too, and I do not understand why we want lite beer. Drink less normal beer and it is the same, right?
for eating while drinking i understand but...

i would drink a cider while eating if anything
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Cheepness? naw PBR is cheap!
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by meh!
i've never actually seen a lite beer as far as i can recall. what brands do lite versions?

i've seen adverts for coors lite, but i don't think i've been in a bar that sold coors.

Basically the party beers.
Personally I bring heineken or guiness when I hit a party because I know it's just gonna be keystone all over the place. Keystone is basically like drinking water.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
it was made so people who don't drink lite feel like they have bigger dicks

This.
Slappa tha bass
Because America is obsessed with weight problems and it lets us think "Well that beer was more healthy then regular beer.. I guess I can balance it out with 12 bacon cheeseburgers."
la de da.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
it was made so people who don't drink lite feel like they have bigger dicks

Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Light beer is perfect for beer pong. If your going to drink an entire case of beer it would go down easier and you'd be a little less hung over if it was Coors light as oposed to Becks, Newcastle, or Smithwicks. (my 3 fav european beers)
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
I like it

It's harder for me to get drunk from which is a good thing since I get drunk way too easily otherwise, even though I've been drinking for a while now

Plus it's cheaper. Pretty much what everyone else said already.
cat
real men drink straight vodka
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
I think its for people who cant handle real beer or they want to chug it easier. It tastes like water imo
Quote by Fender Dane.
Argument 3. The taste.
Come on! Some of it taste like water with added beer flavor. A full strength budweiser has more taste than the lite version but of course if you don't like the taste of beer, it might be the stuff for you.

A full strength American 'beer' tastes like piss (as do most lagers, with the exception of Australian lager and Stella 4), so they probably drink the lite version because they prefer a watery taste to a piss taste.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by shmikeyboy
Lite beer?

Bitter, stout or nothing.

fix'd
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
I guess light beer is a way to refine a certain flavor you put in during your brew while watering the other flavors down.

But I think mostly it's just to lower the caloric content.
Because it's America.

If you put slightly less beer into beer, then tell everyone they'll lose weight if they drink it, you're going to make a bigger profit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I'm with the TS on this one.

The only reason for drinking light "beer" is to fool yourself into thinking that you'll be wearing the same-sized panties fifteen years from now. That's right, I said panties. If you have a dick and you're drinking light beer, you'd better have flowers on your underwear.

To the Europeans, I understand why you think popular American beer is swill. I don't drink our domestic stuff unless it's the only thing around. Miller is the worst, and that's coming from a Wisconsinite. I hope you guys know that there's a thriving "craft" beer industry over here. Some of my favorite types of beer are IPA's, Trippels, and Stouts.

EDIT: Keystone and Coors Light are beers in the loosest sense of the word.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Sep 4, 2010,
Cause americans are teh pussies when it comes to booze.

nah, but based only on my knowledge of college parties in US film and tv, I think it's because the kids like to chug beer. In Europe we drink beer for the taste as much as to get pissed, and when we play drinking games we usually use spirits.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Jazz Funeral
I hope you guys know that there's a thriving "craft" beer industry over here. Some of my favorite types of beer are IPA's, Trippels, and Stouts.

+1000, This cannot be stated enough. There are literally thousands of great beers made in the US, you just gotta look past the wall of Miller, Coors, and AB to find them.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
same reason for the Americano type of coffee.
Americans can't handle anything strong, strong beer, strong coffee
Often Lite beer is all that's available ¬_¬

Like, for example, when buying beers for a party and me and my friend, both being from Burton where they brew Coors in the UK were like "Let's get some Coors" could not find anything that wasn't "lite".
And other times it's been like "Budweiser's fairly versatile, we'll go for one crate of that", only lite available.

After that you can only really find UK lagers like Carlsberg and Carling which frankly aren't great (especially when not from the tap).

Though frankly if the taste is fine it's alright. Miller lite is pretty standable, the few times I drink it, as it's not around in the UK ¬_¬
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Often Lite beer is all that's available ¬_¬

Like, for example, when buying beers for a party and me and my friend, both being from Burton where they brew Coors in the UK were like "Let's get some Coors" could not find anything that wasn't "lite".
And other times it's been like "Budweiser's fairly versatile, we'll go for one crate of that", only lite available.

After that you can only really find UK lagers like Carlsberg and Carling which frankly aren't great (especially when not from the tap).

Ehm if your in the UK, if you want large quantities of lager get something halfway decent, like Stella. And Carlsberg is danish, not british AND is, while not great, a lot more drinkable then either Bud or Coors.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Who the **** wants to shotgun a heavy beer? Seriously, lite beer is made for high amounts of consumption at a quick and easy pace. Theres a time and a place for it and thats either college or pretty much ya know, anytime you want a beer thats not as heavy -_-

I can't even tell you the amount of people I've seen in person that talk like half the people in this thread: "Oh ya man lite beer is total shite i only drink teh heavy beer!!! fook yaaaaahh!!!!" Then they take a sip of Sam Adams or something and grimace like a ****ing retard eating its own shit.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
@ Gman400

Shotgunning a heavy beer would just be a waste of good beer. Why waste quality on a flash-in-the-pan? However, even when I do shotgun a beer I don't mess around with light shit. It's not tough, really.

The only time a Sam Adams has bothered me is when I noticed that, no matter the style, they all have the exact same level of malt. Maybe you're young yet and a lot of your friends are poseurs and braggarts. What you described sounded like kid shit to me.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
@ Gman400

Shotgunning a heavy beer would just be a waste of good beer. Why waste quality on a flash-in-the-pan? However, even when I do shotgun a beer I don't mess around with light shit. It's not tough, really.

The only time a Sam Adams has bothered me is when I noticed that, no matter the style, they all have the exact same level of malt. Maybe you're young yet and a lot of your friends are poseurs and braggarts. What you described sounded like kid shit to me.

I'm not really into light beer, but I know some people who are. I met a Dutch guy who was telling me about how he had Hieneken light on his trip to America and wishes that he had it in Holland.
Page 1 of 3