As the title says,

Any tips anyone can throw my way from your own personal experiences? Also if anyone has any youtube vids they found helpful on this subject it'd be appreciated.
Thanks.
The minor pentatonic scale is 5 notes.
Those notes appear all over the fretboard.
You choose your next note based on the sound you want.
You choose where to play that note based on what's convenient, what else you're wanting to play around that note, what's comfortable and also the timbre of the note you're wanting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jesus3000
what's the problem here?
you shift between patterns by moving your hand

Yeah, I'll be sure to try that...........
Quote by schwinginbatman
Seriously, instead of going up on one string, just move up a full step or so into the next pattern, and then piddle around in that one instead. It isn't difficult.

I've been practicing shifting boxes whilst improvising to backing tracks for a few weeks and have been working on memorising the fretboard to find my root notes quicker. I've noticed these both to have greatly helped.

I'm looking for lessons/ exercises that tackle the min. pent in linear patterns or will above with time and practice be sufficient to get adept at it.
Last edited by MechMike at Sep 4, 2010,
You're missing the point.

You don't "move through patterns" or "shift boxes". Patterns are just there - you choose what you want to play first, then figure out where to play it. You simply play the notes where you want/need to play them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MechMike
I've been practicing shifting boxes whilst improvising to backing tracks for a few weeks and have been working on memorising the fretboard to find my root notes quicker. I've noticed these both to have greatly helped.

I'm looking for lessons/ exercises that tackle the min. pent in linear patterns or will above with time and practice be sufficient to get adept at it.

You don't need special lessons. Just practice the same scales linearly (one string at a time is a good way to start).
yes memorizing the fret board will help you with this. staying only in boxes... not so much. Put some thought into what your goal is, and then just go do it.