Page 1 of 2
Who wants to write a song a day with me for a month? I dont mean collab, but just take part in it together. Can be any kind of music any length, any recording quality.

cheers, let me know, I'm posting it here because I have the most faith in the MT squad.

Step up, no excuses.

The Realest

Food1010
Nightwind
Oddhawk

If you want to be on the list of real people, let me know if you want to participate, if not this will just be the tale of one mans journey. We start monday.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Last edited by nightwind at Sep 5, 2010,
Hmm, I like this idea, and might have to participate. Tis be a good way to get myself to create more...
Quote by MRoby
Hmm, I like this idea, and might have to participate. Tis be a good way to get myself to create more...

Glad to see you aboard! We will get a close start date agreed upon in a day or two. There won't be any judging in this or comparing, just put out what you want to, and in 30 days you will have a whole new perspective as you will have to force yourself free from your same old ideas.

My songs will most likely end up being all jazz and progressive rock/metal instrumentals lol.
songs! Music!

In some sort of format that people could listen to is ideal, but if you just want to do lyrics then go for it. 30 pieces of a work basically. Each day you will wake knowing that by the end of the day you will be a better version of yourself then when you started.

would we be expected to post these songs or collaborate somewhere to listen to them? it sounds fun as i've done this before for a week and it was great but after about 10 days i needed a break. im assuming any length is ok?

would using loops and samples n whatnot be ok for quick song creation?
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 4, 2010,
We could do it in private or public, whichever everyone is more comfortable with.

There are no rules our outlawed ideas to this, the big thing is that we push ourselves, confront our old ideas and grind out new ones. Put the egos away and just see what happens.

You down my bro?

Why not a good one or two? 30 songs in a months does seem like a good exercise but everyone is going to get stale real fast like Z said. I'm down but I cant guarantee a song a day every day either.

And frankly to be honest, in all of the recent challenges in the last 5 months the number of actual entries was extremely low (like less than 10 if it was GP songs, and less than 5 if it was recorded) despite all the promises.

EDIT:
It's not because I'm lazy or afraid of staleness, I've just been woodshedding real hard whenever I have the time to play the bass.
Last edited by Pillo114 at Sep 4, 2010,
^ i can do a song a day, but to keep from getting burned out i'd probably end up posting little tiny songs that are fun and kinda ridiculous or whatever so i don't feel like "oh i didnt get a 4 minute song done today, im screwed"

when do ya wanna start?
Quote by Pillo114
Why not a good one or two? 30 songs in a months does seem like a good exercise but everyone is going to get stale real fast like Z said. I'm down but I cant guarantee a song a day every day either.

And frankly to be honest, in all of the recent challenges in the last 5 months the number of actual entries was extremely low (like less than 10 if it was GP songs, and less than 5 if it was recorded) despite all the promises.

EDIT:
It's not because I'm lazy or afraid of staleness, I've just been woodshedding real hard whenever I have the time to play the bass.
I agree. I can only guarantee a few well-inspired songs in the course of a month.

Come to think of it, some days I don't even have an hour of free time, definitely not enough to whip out a song. Maybe a quick blues improv or something, but definitely not a structured song.

Let me make it clear: I do like the idea a lot. I participated in the 30 days 1 song challenge, and enjoyed it a lot. The thing is that I even struggled to bang out that one song in a month. Of course, I forced myself to come up with structured vocal melodies and somewhat varied chord progressions. If I were to do a challenge with more than one song I might have to limit myself to more simple compositions, such as a few simple progressions with a solo over it.

Quote by z4twenny
^ i can do a song a day, but to keep from getting burned out i'd probably end up posting little tiny songs that are fun and kinda ridiculous or whatever so i don't feel like "oh i didnt get a 4 minute song done today, im screwed"
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

You know what, just write me down as a tentative and I'll see how things turn out. I can guarantee you I won't get one every day, but I'll do what I can.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 4, 2010,
Listen guys.

DONT WORRY

This isnt a test or a show case or anything like that. It's for YOU to challenge yourself. Don't go in with the mindset "oh yea I cant do this because I havent done it before or it sounds really hard" , that guarantees failure.

Think

"I'm going to do a new song a day, even if it's just a little bit, I'm going to apply myself to composition like it's something I have to work at, like anything else in life, I will generate results each day!" Then, if you happen to not be able to the goal to it's fullest, dont stress , dont worry, there's no marks or anything here.

This isn't supposed to be something everyone is going to want to do, it will thin out the herd, it doesn't apply to the lowest common denominator

Anyone know any good hosting sites for this?

Let's start on monday.

Last edited by nightwind at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by z4twenny

when do ya wanna start?

I'll start whenever actually, and now that you mention little tiny ridiculous songs I've got a bunch of samples and stuff I've recorded that could use some nice mangling.

Since the number 30 seems too tentative, lets all agree on something realistic and take it from there. I'd rather see it more manageable so more people can do it instead of just a couple of people. That said, it's pretty much impossible to get most people out of this board to play or write something for a challenge but I'm hopeful some nice agreement will turn up.
don't you guys have jobs? Where would you have the time for this?

If it were still summer I'd totally do this but I have school and lots of other kinds of writing to do
i don't know why i feel so dry
It's 30 songs a day. No reason to change this.

Yes I have jobs and school but time is a matter of priority.

Quote by Eastwinn
don't you guys have jobs? Where would you have the time for this?

If it were still summer I'd totally do this but I have school and lots of other kinds of writing to do

That's part of the reason I'm doubtful.

If it was up to me I'd rather see a smaller challenge where more people could share their ideas and wankery.

Lets see what happens.

Anyone know any good hosting sites for this?

Here?

P.S. I dont want to be such a sourpuss, I just have a feeling where this could end up and I'd rather see it work than fail miserably after day 2 or 3
Last edited by Pillo114 at Sep 4, 2010,
Ok here.

One challenge 30 songs in a month, 1 song a day

another challenge, write shit whenever you feel like it and say you werent inspired the rest of the time , then wait so long before writing something else by the time you are 'inspired' again you wrote the same tune as last month.

Being a dick? A little, but it seems you guys only want to take on stuff you know you can do with certainty. There is a reason why Terry Fox was going to run across ****ING CANADA and not just around the block.

Test yourself. You don't have to go the distance but we should all try if we care about ourselves.

^ personally I feel that I couldn't write that many good songs in that amount of time. Id be forcing it for the deadline. I'd rather take time and make something thats worth the effort.

I mean for money Id do that sort of thing..... cause I would see it as work.

Anyway, thats my perspective.... don't mean to shoot down your idea.
shred is gaudy music
It's ok, it's just something I'm going to do and I thought this would be the kind of place where people want to explore and stretch and learn and I thought we'd take the trip together.

Look both ways kids, 10 times over.

Quote by Oddhawk
I'm still up for it. How would we exchange recordings?

We could upload to our profiles here , or just do a D music or purevolume or whatever. If you want to do it private we could do it over MSN or something.

Thanks for joining : )

Alright I'm in. If anything it'll simply get me to practice more often.
-Chick Corea
for the people who don't think they could do 30 songs in 30 days, i think the idea isnt to write a masterpiece a day. its just to write a little song, stick some chords together that sound good and put it up here.
Quote by z4twenny
for the people who don't think they could do 30 songs in 30 days, i think the idea isnt to write a masterpiece a day. its just to write a little song, stick some chords together that sound good and put it up here.

Exactly. The point is to work. It forces you to face yourself and come up with new ideas.

Like, this is your craft. This in no way can hurt you and will only benefit you. I just am surprised how quick people were to come up with excuses or deflections on an idea that is made to HELP THEM!!

I don't want to get pwnt this semester, so I'll see how my workload is before I say anything. I tend to get too ambitious whenever I write something, and it often ends up interfering with other things I need to do.
add me on msn, if you can find a way to record on your computer from direct input on mine ill lay down some guitar for you
Once We Were Anarchists
Quote by nightwind
Exactly. The point is to work. It forces you to face yourself and come up with new ideas.

Like, this is your craft. This in no way can hurt you and will only benefit you. I just am surprised how quick people were to come up with excuses or deflections on an idea that is made to HELP THEM!!

I know it helps, I'm just at a point in my playing where I need to build up technique, learn tunes, transcribe, practice stuff for my lessons, play out and shed, on top of having to practice intonation because I only play fretless, and the little time I have to play goes to that.

I'll start with you guys tomorrow but like I said I cant guarantee something everyday.

By the way, there's no problem with keeping it public. The original reason I wanted a simpler challenge with more people was for the critiques. What's the point of composing something that no one will hear? So I'd say the UG profile and make a group for it or something.
^ im working on an album this week... well all weeks really until its done. but i know i've got 10 minutes to hit record and see what happens. no promise anythings gonna sound awesome but i'll give it a shot. the process of songwriting is one that you have to work at to get better. hell i'll probably just improv the vast majority of it.

in fact the only issue i have is that it will assuredly take longer for me to mix and master whatever i do record than it will for me to write it.
Quote by z4twenny
^ im working on an album this week... well all weeks really until its done. but i know i've got 10 minutes to hit record and see what happens. no promise anythings gonna sound awesome but i'll give it a shot. the process of songwriting is one that you have to work at to get better. hell i'll probably just improv the vast majority of it.

in fact the only issue i have is that it will assuredly take longer for me to mix and master whatever i do record than it will for me to write it.

You seem to be the one guy who gets this. It's ok to write music no one will hear, we play scales no one will hear. "Oh but that transfers into my playing!" Well guess what, so does the composing.

Don't worry about a high quality, at least I wouldn't there's no sense it's all about the composing. At least, I'm not really going to.

^ im gonna do 48k/24 bit but im not gonna spend 3 hours positioning mics for that perfect guitar tone

if nothing else i'll get a chance to test out my combinations of gear and see what sounds good.
^ sweet

sounds pretty good, i was humming along the whole time. i'll see if i can throw something together real quick... im assuming we're starting now?
I would of 100% been down with you.
If you posted this a month earlier..
Schools out now :/

If you need me as a part-time.
I'll be down the road!
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by z4twenny
^ sweet

sounds pretty good, i was humming along the whole time. i'll see if i can throw something together real quick... im assuming we're starting now?
I think so. I remember nightwind saying we'd start today.
-Chick Corea
Nightwind, this is a very cool idea! And although I am nowhere near being able to do something this complicated, I hope you have great ideas and show us some neat stuff.

Also, I think you should have everyone post their songs in this thread right here. That way, it's all sort of compiled in one place and everyone, authors and audience alike, have a single common place to listen and enjoy. Good luck!
its about 7 pm here so gimme 4 hours ish.... i got an idea in my head.

edit - its about 90 seconds long, should be done in a little while.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 6, 2010,
not a bad idea,
might help me finish songs, and not edit something every weeek.

i might do it if it was another month cause right now im having family/money problems
so if you do it for october im sooo in

edit: ill join but i might not be able to crack out a song a day, ill just try for one/two a week

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Page 1 of 2