i was considering getting some new humbuckers soon because my friend had these 496R and 500T pickups in his guitar and they sounded great. Are these good for 80s rock like def leppard, aerosmith, poison, and so on?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
No experience with Gibson pickups, but the majority of 80's players used Super Distortions.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Not going to make a massive difference to your sound through the Valvetronix, certainly won't reflect the amount of money a set of pickups will set you back.

To be honest the stock pickups should be more than suited for the tones you're aiming for. If you do buy pickups then don't bother with Gibsons, they're fine stock but way overpriced as an aftermarket part.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 4, 2010,
If it's your explorer you're talking about, that's got the same set of pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yes i know it has those already in my explorer i wrote opening post wrong guys i meant my friend heard me and he wants a pair of the 496R 500T pickups and i wanted to run it by you guys first sorry for the typo but i play the same kinda stuff to so iits good to know they can handle what im doing anyways i guess
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
i'm guessing there are pickups which would be better-aimed at the 80s stuff. the ones you have would probably work if they came stock in the guitar, but as for buying them as retrofits? I'd personally pass and get something else, apart from anything else, gibson pickups are pretty dear as retrofits, you can normally get far nicer pickups for less money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also does anyone know what pickups c.c. deville from poison used? i know alota people hate on him alot but a really dug his tone i mean hes not my favortie guitarist but i really did like his tone
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Dimarzio SD's and check out the VEH pickups from guitar fetish...HOT HOT HOT
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
thanks and ill check them both out
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by BrokenDstring
Dimarzio SD's and check out the VEH pickups from guitar fetish...HOT HOT HOT

Not really, they're more of an overwound PAF with some tonal mods.

Anyway, CC deville used SD JB's (SH-4), but keep in mind (from what I've heard) they sounded a lot better in the 80s than the modern ones do.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 4, 2010,
well i gotta check them out hopefully they still do sound as good today but now i have an idea of what type of pickups he used to get his sound so even if they dont sound as good today now i know what to shop around fro in specifics
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Dimarzio Super Distortion

EMG 81

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i have always liked EMG's but i didnt think anyone was going to reccomend those lol
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
why not?

the sound of 80s thrash.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
well im more after a poison tone alone with def leppard and things like that not as much thrash but im into some of that but i just didnt expect EMG's to be reccommended now im kinda hapy that i was already considering them
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dimarzio Super Distortion

+ a million. the seymour duncan JB is a little too thin for me, but i've had a super distortion in a few different guitars and loved it every time!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
these are all great pickup ideas i think i realoly favor the dimarzio super distortion but its still up in the air and @waycoolJR. we like alot of the samebands so im definatly going to look into the crunchy rails any other suggestins guys?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
another vote for DiMarzio super Distortions. you may also want to consider their PAF+ pups as they will get you a good 80s hair metal sound.
Another vote for a Super Distortion. Its pretty much THE defining hair metal tone. However, if you REALLY want to go all out, get a Bare Knuckles Holy Diver. 80's voiced but infinitely more clarity while still giving more output. I love mine.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
the super distortions seem to be the vote of just about everyone and from what ive heard out of them you can add me to that list now i just gotta save up for a while but the wait is worth it for these well i guess thats pretty much it thanks for all the help everyone
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Others not yet mentioned:

Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon
DiMarzio ToneZone
EMG 85
Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
The vast majority of metal bands in the 80s were using DiMarzio SDs. If you want that sound, use those and a Marshall JCM 800. I remember seeing a lot of Carvin amps back then too.
Yup, JB and DiMarzio Super Distortion were the standards back then pretty much + plus JCM 800's and Tubescreamers. Towards the end of the decade a lot became ADA MP-1 users as well.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i wont be able to afford a JCM 800 with a decent cab for about another 2-3years probably but i actualy know thats the amp i am going to get next and im just about positive im going to put the Dimarzio SD's in my explorer and sell the 496R and 500T pickups to my friend maybe?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by guitarguyz61
i wont be able to afford a JCM 800 with a decent cab for about another 2-3years probably but i actualy know thats the amp i am going to get next and im just about positive im going to put the Dimarzio SD's in my explorer and sell the 496R and 500T pickups to my friend maybe?

If you want that JCM 800 tone, but can't afford one atm, then get a Peavey VTM. It's a very affordable clone. They pop up on E-Bay for under $300 every now and again.
well ive never been a big fan of peavy but ill check it out i think im going to end up saving for the real thing but thanks for the suggestion and it might take me more on a 1-2years depending on when i get a job then i can blow all my money on gear
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby