what triad chords could I substitute for an A major chord that don't have a root note of A? I could use F#minor, C#minor, C#diminished, what else can I use?
I'm no theory buff but i would hazard a guess that it would depend on the context and which number chord the A was in any particular progression.
Quote by WalrusNutFart
what triad chords could I substitute for an A major chord that don't have a root note of A? I could use F#minor, C#minor, C#diminished, what else can I use?

in what context??
shred is gaudy music
Quote by WalrusNutFart

Could I have the before and after chords ? Maybe even a key?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
in no context or chord progression. Just in theory I would like to know what chords can be switched for the A.
Bbb?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Your question doesn't make much sense then.

I don't see how you can 'substitute' for F#minor as F# isn't contained in an A Major chord =S
Quote by WalrusNutFart
in no context or chord progression. Just in theory I would like to know what chords can be switched for the A.

It's not an answerable question without context.
shred is gaudy music
I mean like A major has the notes A ,C#,E. F# minor has F#,A and C#. It has two notes in common with A major. C# diminished has C#, E and G which also has two notes in common. It might be called diatonic substitution if that helps.
Quote by WalrusNutFart
I mean like A major has the notes A ,C#,E. F# minor has F#,A and C#. It has two notes in common with A major. C# diminished has C#, E and G which also has two notes in common. It might be called diatonic substitution if that helps.

Well, I iii and vi are in the tonic family. Is that what you're after?
shred is gaudy music
You can't really do it without context. That is to say you CANT do it without context. Chords with common tones do not equate to a substitution really, since subs have to do with function, and functions only exist in context.

What are you trying to get at with this ?

He's already said chords with common tones, but the possiblities are pretty big. Stupid thread in my opinion.

TS, work them out for yourself.
If it's just chords with common tones then well...

It's basically every single harmony ever. Like, really.

Just have the A note as every degree. as 1, as b2, as 2, as b3 etc etc. Then after that just start doing chromatic clusters, then chords based off of 4ths, then chords based off of 7ths.

There's not MUCH value in this.

Quote by GilbertsPinky
He's already said chords with common tones, but the possiblities are pretty big. Stupid thread in my opinion.

TS, work them out for yourself.
This. Take chords that have notes in common. That's all there is to it. There are a lot of chords that contain one or more of those notes.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
with no context, tonal center or chord progression you could use substitute any chord you want.
Quote by WalrusNutFart
holy crap, sorry for posting a question.

Sorry for answering one?

Quote by nightwind
Sorry for answering one?

well thank you for answering one, and like one or two other people
Quote by WalrusNutFart
holy crap, sorry for posting a question.

Yeah, well, you are basicaly asking.. what soup can I make by replacing tomatoes?
And you'll get responses like.. what soup are you starting with in the first place?
I guess the problem is that if you are asking for "what chords have one of these notes" the answers can be endless, especially so when you consider extended chords. There's literally thousands of chords which could fit your question.

Instead, consider the key, and which chords are usually associated with it. That will give you a good place to start, and give you something that you can use in creating songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud