Hi.
I'm going to be moving from Germany to Scotland in a few weeks and, obviously, I will be wanting to take my gear. I'm a bit worried about my amp though. (Marshall Valvestate 8080) On the rear, where the powerchord goes in it says: 230V, which is about voltage of German power plugs (officially 220V, but often more like 230V).
In the UK, I believe it is 240V though. Will I (as soon as I have bought the UK plug chord) stil be able to use my amp without worries, or should I consider replasin it straight off?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

PS: I'm not interested in whether you think the amp is good or not, the question of replacing is purely a technical one. - I like my amp =)
i think it's fine. the uk is supposedly 230v, though far as i'm aware it can be anwhere between about 220 and 240. I mean, I've bought a couple of amps from german shops and used them here in northern ireland and they were fine. You just need a UK kettle lead.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_2_3640.html

there's some info about it on thomann.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 4, 2010,
Electriciy is electricity.
If that wasn't the case, band who are on tour would have to invest in a new amp every time
they went to another country. So yes, it should work.
yeah, if you're an idiot you probably shouldn't post. pro tip.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Typical electronics allow for a 10% voltage fluctuation... about 20v in your case....so you should be good between 210-240 so long as the plug is right.
Ya, it'll be fine, you just need to put a plug from here on it. I import stuff from Europe all the time, and that's all that needs done.
220v to 240v its all well within tolerance. no problem at all other than preferably changing the cable/plug, or using a plug adapter.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by realmccoy69
Typical electronics allow for a 10% voltage fluctuation... about 20v in your case....so you should be good between 210-240 so long as the plug is right.

yeah, that's what i thought... there's a range within which you should be ok, and even if the part of the uk he's going to is still 240v, it should be ok...

only problem is if you're in an area which is supposedly 240 but which is actually putting out 250 or 260...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by blazing riff
If that wasn't the case, band who are on tour would have to invest in a new amp every time
they went to another country.

I dunno if I should laugh my ass off or massively facepalm. How old are you?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by blazing riff

No sure if serious
If you are...go learn about voltages and why pumping a higher voltage than what the amp is rated for will never end well.
Quote by blazing riff

Just when you think you've read the stupidest post possible somebody comes and proves you wrong.

You sir are not only stupid, you are dangerously stupid. Amps can cope with a 10% variation or so but not 100%. The US is 110V and the UK is 230V. Plug a US amp into a UK outlet and smoke will ensue.
In future please refrain from giving advice regarding anything to do with well, anything.

TS: going from 220 to 230 should be fine. That's less than 5% change. The tolerances of the components will add up to far more than that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 4, 2010,
yeah, that's what i thought too, I've definitely read magazine article where US artists were having to hire amps for use here . Not only was he wrong on the electricity thing, he was wrong on how international tours work too. Nice going.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, sure. But I was going on the spirit of the post, where he was suggesting that they use the same amp for everywhere- which clearly is unlikely to be true. Renting... buying... close enough, for the purposes of this argument, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey, thanks for all the replies! =)
Great. I was worried, that I would have to replace the amp. Now I'm not anymore.
J