I'm thinking of buying the Line 6 spider IV 320w cab and a spider iv 150w head (both used). I play a lot of hard rock and metal, and I use a lot of palm muting and power chords, but I do lead too. I saw some bad reviews for the cab, so what should I do?
not buy it would probably be the thing...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In my opinion, its not a good amp for anything. Do not waste your money on either the head or the cab. Ive played through a few spiders, from the 15 watt to the 75 watt to the head and cab, and i hated them all. Dont bother with the Spider series.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Everyone here will tell you not to buy either of those things, including me, because they're shit.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
what's your budget? what do you mean by hard rock and metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, just get a 6505+ 112 used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah the Spider Valve is pretty nifty. Mine was a spider 3, but the tubes went out like every 3 months.... It was cool until that happened.
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Quote by SilverRock113
the Spider Valves are awesome. Anything below the Spider Valves suck... I'm not joking

They're certainly not awsome. They're slightly better sounding than the regular Spiders, but they're still very low level amps in terms of sound in anyone's opinion who really knows what they're talking about.. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with owning one, but if you're serious about getting good tone, then you're looking in the wrong place entirely.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I got suckered into the whole Spider thing and I regret it. They seem like cool amps and in some ways they are, but the distortion sucks. The presets are terrible and sound NOTHING like the real thing. It has good FX, though...

I'm headed towards a 6505+, too.
i play black sabbath, metallica, pink floyd, kiss, anthrax, the clash, alice in chains, nirvana, led zeppelin, etc. I'm looking to spend between five-six hundred. i'm willing to get it used if it's cheaper. Oh yeah, and i want a half stack
Last edited by satinsoven at Sep 4, 2010,
i haven't tried it, but jet city, maybe?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A 6505+ 112 should be able to do all of those.

Believe me, in that range there are no good half stacks. You have:
  • MG half stack
  • Spider half stack
  • craptastic Randall halfstacks*

*Randall DOES make good SS amps but they're rather expensive.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i'm thinking of getting the marshall mg 100, I haven't heard anything bad about it really. right now I have an ibanez combo amp the size of a cereal box so I think anything will be better.
Quote by satinsoven
i'm thinking of getting the marshall mg 100, I haven't heard anything bad about it really. right now I have an ibanez combo amp the size of a cereal box so I think anything will be better.

NONONONONONONO DON'T DO IT

1. It sounds like crap.
2. there are better amps for the price.
3. they're not what you'd call reliable.

So... please. Don't get the MG.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by satinsoven

In the end we can just give you our opinions and guide you with past experience but what you buy is your decision. I can tell you that the Marshall MG series especially the MG100 would be a big mistake. I know because my mate bought one a few years back and it really is a fizzy mess.

Not only is the sound terrible, you will be a bit of a running joke to people with gear knowledge because for the same price you can get infinitely better amps that honestly will destroy the MG in terms of power, tone and even volume. You might look cool to kids that don't know anything about gear with a Marshall logo and half stack on stage but all the people who count will be chuckling.

Not trying to tear you down mate it's just the way it is. Go for a 6505 combo as suggested. A really fantastic amp, Peavey could sell them for more than they do because they really are that good.

Just go out and play the amps and let your ears decide. You will notice the difference in sound between an MG and a 6505 like night and day
BUY THE DAMN 6505!

Reason to buy a half stack as a first real amp:

HALF STACK IS TEH BR00T4LZ!

Reasons NOT to buy a half stack as a first real amp:
-Expensive
-Hard to lug around (a good cab weighs about 95 pounds)
-Takes up space
-Will overpower everything else
-Complete overkill

Reasons not to buy the MG:
-The second-worst amp I've ever used (behind the Spider)
-Awful distortion in particular
-Unreliable
-Waste of money
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
yeah, avoid the mg100
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as far as 6505 is concerned, the half stack is way too much. I guess i have to settle for the combo. but for reference, I play live sometimes too
Why is it that you want a half-stack? To look cool?
Quote by satinsoven

That thing is worse than a Spider.

600 for a half stack will be difficult, not to say impossible. What you need is a relatively high-gain amp, which are usually big and expensive, that leaves little room for a good 4x12" cab. A good 4x12" alone can cost you 600.

You might be able to pick up a good used 2x12" and a nice head for 600. Failing that, a combo is advisable. Think of it this way: You can either afford a small amp that sounds good or a big one that sounds like bees in a tin can. The former is preferable. Volume will not be an issue with either solution.

Please tell us your closest major city so we can look for nice stuff on craigslist. I think a Traynor YVC series amp with a boost/OD pedal would be a nice solution for you.
Quote by satinsoven
as far as 6505 is concerned, the half stack is way too much. I guess i have to settle for the combo. but for reference, I play live sometimes too

Look, you don't need a half stack to play live. My 6505+ 112 literally shakes the floor of my house at 2.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by britishsligean
just get a used peavey 6505+ 112

That amp has been out for less than a year, probably not easy to find a used one.

I took my little spider 30w practice amp to a jam the other day instead of one of my real amps..haha what a piece of shite, its ok for bedroom as long as the master is less than 1.