Lately this past year i have had so many problems with my peavey 5150 with post gain at 3.5. It would squeal like a __ENTER VULGARITY HERE__
I couldnt figure it out.

Someone told me that it was preamp tube microphonics. Welp. I changed ALL 12ax7 tubes with rubys, and man it sounds so much tighter.... but the squeal is still there.

Someone else said it may be due to the microphonics in my active emgs. They said that the pickups could be going bad. so i did the tap test on them and didnt really notice anything. My only solution at this point in time was to turn down the volume on my guitar. It killed the squeal, but jacked up my tone. Notes would decay early, or in other words BAD SUSTAIN...

I even tried killing the PRE gain from 5 to 3, and it STILLLL DID NOT KILL THE SQUEAL.
CUT SOME TREBLE, CUT SOME MIDS, CUT SOME PRESENCE...squeal ...still...there.

well, I indeed found my absolute 100% full proof solution to this problem. and this may be helpful to all guitarist out there who have the same problem ( cuz i know you do)...

From amp to cab, make sure your using a speaker cable , speaker cable, SPEAKER CABLE, SPEAKER CABLE!!! . I was using an instrument cable from amp to speakers and i realized what kind of a moron i am. Instrument cables are designed to carry line level. Line level signals are typically around 1-2 volts, but judging from a guitar using actives or modded actives it can be as much as 9, 18, 27 volts. These cables --instrument cables-- are not designed to carry 100-150 watts power load. Speaker cables are meant for the power loads, and can eliminate your squeal (and even minor hiss) from your overall sound.

hope this helps. it sure cleared up my problem
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I began typing out answers to your questions as i read this only to find that you posted the solution for your own problem.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's a good thing you didn't replace the tubes and pickups and everything before figuring that out.
Although

SOME WOULD SAY

you should still get rid of those EMGs ;P
Quote by bbetances

Seriously though, most amps have a sticker on the back that says to use a speaker cable. I'm sure a good 90% of stack owners here know that.

Err? There are still the people who have had this problem. I thought id throw it out there. Just saying =/,

I mean i solved this problem like earlier this year, but im kinda touching base with a thread i made a long time ago... So at any rate.

Someone is bound to find this useful =D
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by ThorVonClemson
I began typing out answers to your questions as i read this only to find that you posted the solution for your own problem.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's a good thing you didn't replace the tubes and pickups and everything before figuring that out.
Although

SOME WOULD SAY

you should still get rid of those EMGs ;P

I only replaced the Preamp tubes with ruby's. Nice tight gain =D
--The GEAR--
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,