I searched, and I didn't find anything relevant. Basically, I know what compression is, but I need to know more about it.

1) What compression VST's are recommended?
2) What tracks should/shouldn't I compress (Clean guitar, Distorted, Bass, Drums, etc.)
3) Are there any recommended compression settings? (Obviously settings can change)

Thanks in advance for the help!
1) universal audio is probably one of the best for pc compression, i personally use waves and love it.

2) compression isn't a hard and fast rule (ie use it on this and this and this and nothing else) you basically use it on whatever needs compression.

3) compression settings are independent of what you want compressed and how you want it to sound

the best compression is pretty transparent and requires relatively little effect. i personally try to use as little as possible to keep the dynamics of the song alive. i recommend just getting some compressor vst's and playing with them, they all work, sound and color the signal a little differently so its something you need to tweak with for a little while to get used to it.
compression in essence limits the dynamic range of an instrument so that you can turn it up louder without clipping
anything with loud transients and lower sustaining sounds can benefit from compression such as bass and drum hits but an easy way to look at comp is imagine putting the sound in a box and the waves cant go out of it and now make the box smaller it would bring up the lower volume levels and limit the higher volume
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Thanks!

One last question, I've heard mixed statements on this, is compressing the song as a whole a good idea?
Quote by Kevin19
I searched, and I didn't find anything relevant. Basically, I know what compression is, but I need to know more about it.

1) What compression VST's are recommended?
2) What tracks should/shouldn't I compress (Clean guitar, Distorted, Bass, Drums, etc.)
3) Are there any recommended compression settings? (Obviously settings can change)

Thanks in advance for the help!

1) The one included with your DAW should work just fine, as in more advanced ones tend to just add a certain tone or color that some people like.

2) You can compress nearly everything, and in a lot of modern music near everything is compressed. It also depends on what genre your talking about, as in jazz or classical you wouldnt want much compression on (especially in classical because dynamics are such a huge part of the songs) In rock and metal,electronica,hip-hop, etc.... things tend to be more compressed. common things compressed are bass guitars,snare drums, kick drums, and vocals. guitars can be compressed, but i believe distortion actually adds compression as well. You probably wouldnt want to compress a piano, unless its in a really bright pop song.

3) i would just have to say experiment! I honestly dont use compression that much, I tend to use a limiter (which is a type of compression, it just means it wont let the sound wave get louder then a certain decibel, good for the master track)
Quote by Kevin19
Thanks!

One last question, I've heard mixed statements on this, is compressing the song as a whole a good idea?

thats a mastering question, i recommend getting a really good mix first then come back to this question. chances are if you start using compression in your mixes and get your mixes sounding good using compression "properly" then you'll be able to answer your own question.