So I've decided to apply for some universities in the USA for a next Autumn start. After looking around and sending some emails to some of the universities I've discovered that I need to take a GRE test. I've been on their website and tried their practice stuff and it wasn't too bad, but I imagine the real one is harder.

So I've come to The Pit to ask if anyone here is planning on taking/has taken the GRE before and has any tips or advice for preparing for the test? Or if you've taken it, was it hard? What should I expect? And what kind of score do the better universities in the USA consider "good"?
According to Wikipedia the schools don't decide which scores are "good," but rather the person in charge of admissions, so I would call the Admissions department at the schools in question and ask.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Im giving it Oct 22nd.

BAH!
SO CLOSE BY!
Must study

**** you americans and your stupid exams! Im smart! Let me in goddamit!

Srsly though, the math is ridiculously easy (for the most part). The vocabulary they expect you to know is ridiculous though. Above 1400 with a good GPA in college will get you a good university for engineering.
I'll be applying for a MS in Digital Signal Processing.

How about you?
GRE? That's weird, I have no idea what it is, I'm planning to apply to US Unis and all they ask is the SAT or ACT. Maybe it depends on which country you are from? If said exams aren't given?
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I'm applying for a PhD at the top universities, Stanford for one. I contacted admissions and they said that there is no standard GRE or good GRE, it's about the whole application - but obviously, if they're going to make you take a test then they want a decent score at least.

Actually to the guy who said maths is easy and vocabularly hard, I find it to be the other way around for the most part. Strangely.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
I'm applying for a PhD at the top universities, Stanford for one. I contacted admissions and they said that there is no standard GRE or good GRE, it's about the whole application - but obviously, if they're going to make you take a test then they want a decent score at least.

Actually to the guy who said maths is easy and vocabularly hard, I find it to be the other way around for the most part. Strangely.

I don't agree...I'd tend to be able to find a number's factors and add them, more easily than figure out what obsequious means.

Some of the math is a little harder but it's pretty much all high school/early college level math. I'm just glad there's no calculus.

Um...ive got a bunch of resources, including gigantic word/formulae lists and practice tests. Let me know if you want any.
Last edited by unet at Sep 4, 2010,