ive recently purchased a second hand (but in very good nick) epiphone les paul custom from my local store, i beleive its a older model for it has gibson written on the truss cover rather than lp custom.

i today compared it to my dads LP standard which is only 2 years old and found my custom to be so much lighter, which was a shock for me for i thaught they would be the same being both mahogany guitars.

Could someone please shed light on why this might be?

Im hoping i havnt been conned and what lies under the customs finish is a shoddy peice of wood.
Quote by Randomnez
ive recently purchased a second hand (but in very good nick) epiphone les paul custom from my local store, i beleive its a older model for it has gibson written on the truss cover rather than lp custom.

i today compared it to my dads LP standard which is only 2 years old and found my custom to be so much lighter, which was a shock for me for i thaught they would be the same being both mahogany guitars.

Could someone please shed light on why this might be?

Im hoping i havnt been conned and what lies under the customs finish is a shoddy peice of wood.

my custom and standard are similar weight, i think my custom is slightly heavier?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
thats the way i think it should be, seems strange that mines complete oposite
different pieces of wood are different weights. I played a super light LP (non chambered) at guitar center the other day. Mine weighs 10 pounds.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 4, 2010,
My Epiphone Custom is an older one, I think around 1997, has the Gibson Truss Rod cover, and it is fairly heavy. Haven't really compared to others, but I think its about the same. I wish mine was lighter though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
ok cheers for all the replies, but what im thinking is checking around for the possibility of it being a fake. i know there are alot out there and when i rang gibson yesterday they did not recognise the serial number
You forgot to eat your Wheaties?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.