Alright. So I just sold my ESP EX-400. I looooved that guitar, but I bought a Jackson Rhoads with a floyd a couple months ago and i never played the esp because it didn't have the floyd rose bridge. I was going to use it as my backup guitar but I started to use the floyd in alot of my solos and such so i sold it. And I've been looking for a similar guitar to my ESP but with a floyd for a few weeks and I've found a couple guitars on Kijiji. Both are listed for 600, I've gotten the Ibanez down to 500 and got the ESP to 550. But this is my comparison between the guitars

ESP LTD MH-400, Blue quilt finish
This would be exactly the same as my Explorer but with a floyd and a nice blue quilt finish. Also my ESP had 2 EMG 81's. So the 85 will be pretty sweet as well. Not to mention the EMG's totally rip it up in genreal. And if I'm correct, the 400 series is made in Korea, not Indonesia which is a plus.

Ibanez S540 Custom, Green/Teal Flame Finish
Straight from the start, I know this is a great guitar, but I'm not too much a fan of this colour. But I've bought things from the guy who is selling this guitar before and he seems to really know his shit. And he says this is a 90's model, made in Japan. He says this guitar compares to the Prestige series of Ibanez S today. Also the pickups in this guitar wouln`t be as good as having EMG`s in my opinion. Cause i plan to have one guitar with EMGs and one with Passives (probably upgrading to seymours in my Jackson soon.)

So to sum it up, I'm honestly leaning a bit more towards the ESP. I prefer the pickups and the finish of it better. But the physical build of the Ibanez seems to be more quality.

So I guess I have a couple questions about the comparison.
What are the differences between the Ibanez Edge Zero and ESP Licensed, in regards to smoothness and durability?
And are both of these trems at least decent?
Is there anything I'm missing in the comparison?
And finally... Which do you think I should get? Keep in mind, I'm in a metalcore band and also like to play older metal on my own time.
The edge is better than a licensed FR in every way.It's not uncommon to find old Ibanez models with twenty year old edge trems that still work flawlessly (My 540R for example).

Pickups can be replaced,and finish is a meh thing IMO,so I'd go for the MIJ quality over the LTD.I owned an MH-400 for a while and I honestly wasn't that impressed with it.The trem was sketchy as hell,and it ended up having electronics issues like 2 weeks in,so I sold it and bought a Jackson.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I second the Ibanez suggestion. Its just an overall better guitar. And for 50 bucks cheaper.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Edge Zero on a 90's Ibanez..wut? I agree with the previous poster, go for the Ibanez. And yes, it does compare to the Prestige line, as it is MIJ.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Sep 4, 2010,
LTD imo
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
The LTD MH is probably the best superstrat body shape its the same as the Horizon i believe. I own 1 of each and they are so comfortable with amazing cutaways. So if that is one of the deciding factors go with the LTD.

edit: I own an MH and a Horizon not the ibanez if my wording is confusing
Last edited by joel-lesperance at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Levi79
It might not be, I'm just going out on a limb saying that but it's a 97 J custom.
Also what is a J custom?

If it's a J Custom then I will hunt you down and bludgeon you to death with a hammer if you don't buy it.

J Customs are the highest quality guitars that Ibanez makes.The newer models run about $2500+,and there's limited availability.You'd be a fool to take the MH over a J Custom.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
If it's a J Custom then I will hunt you down and bludgeon you to death with a hammer if you don't buy it.

J Customs are the highest quality guitars that Ibanez makes.The newer models run about $2500+,and there's limited availability.You'd be a fool to take the MH over a J Custom.

LOL really? what are J customs? Like what makes them so special?

I'll give you some links to the ads

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Ibanez-S540-Custom-RT650GFR-More-Everything-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ217684064#

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-ESP-LTD-MH400-W0QQAdIdZ227762910
Quote by Levi79
Also, if the ESP had a better trem there would be no competition for me, just due to the finish and pickups.

No. For this reason.
Quote by Pr0gNut

The two really aren't comparable if it is indeed a J custom.

edit: Looking at the ads, I actually prefer the green flame top to the blue quilt.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by Levi79

The guy is a douche for calling it a "J Custom before J Customs existed"

It's a regular S540,but it's still much better than the LTD in terms of quality,durability,and workmanship.If it really is in flawless condition like he say then I'd get that and replace the pups.The original edge trem is so much better than the esp licensed trems,some even prefer it to OFR's.

MIJ Ibanez = GOOD

Edge Zero is a good trem, Although it's not an edge pro or an edge, you can find some quality passive pickups, Dimarzio D-Activators are basiclly replicas of EMGs. Cheaper, and no routing!
And they almost sound the same! More of a hybrid.
I'm not an ESP/LTD guy so I can't comment on that, but from seeing descriptions of it, it looks nice!

But I would say Ibanez.
Ya licensed floyds arent the greatest but lolcat is right d activators are what you need. I have the dimarzioo d activator in the neck position of several guitars paired with the x2n and it sounds amazing.
Quote by Levi79
Alright, so you guys have swayed my opinion quite a bit, so how much would a similar model to this ibanez cost today new?

And the guy is selling 2 Deactivator X's bridge and neck but they are camo, so i think they would look pretty gay in the ibby

An all MIJ Ibby S series would run about $1400 new today,and that particular model would be the Prestige S5470.

Quote by Pr0gNut
An all MIJ Ibby S series would run about $1400 new today,and that particular model would be the Prestige S5470.

LOL, that's exactly what the guy selling it told me. But that sound like a pretty wicked deal, and I've heard the old Ibanez guitars beat the shit out any new one in general.
Quote by Levi79
LOL, that's exactly what the guy selling it told me. But that sound like a pretty wicked deal, and I've heard the old Ibanez guitars beat the shit out any new one in general.

Yeah,the old MIJ Ibanez models are absolutely wonderful metal and shred guitars,and they're really durable,which is why you still find them on the used market for like $600+ even though they're more than 10 years old.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Yeah,the old MIJ Ibanez models are absolutely wonderful metal and shred guitars,and they're really durable,which is why you still find them on the used market for like $600+ even though they're more than 10 years old.

Alright, well I'm thinking I'm going to get the Ibanez and even if I don't like it (fat chance) it's probably going to hold its resale value pretty well. Thanks for all the help everyone, especially you man. Thanks
Quote by Levi79
Alright, well I'm thinking I'm going to get the Ibanez and even if I don't like it (fat chance) it's probably going to hold its resale value pretty well. Thanks for all the help everyone, especially you man. Thanks

No problem,and it'll hold value since it's already used and another owner wont decrease the value .

Well, The D-Activators and D-Activator X's are very powerful. Basically the X's are more of a Chuga Chuga heavy pickup, while the normal D-Activators are more EMG 81 and 60ish sounds. Very very clean yet kinda trebely, But no mud when you play, Clean is alright, good with the neck pickup but thats why you have a middle single coil, for good clean sounds in there. Overdriven is decent, not too good. They are tight sounds if that's what your looking for. Very transparent of technique, they will force you to clean up sloppy playing.

The X's are for more loose Teh Br00tz, but still tight and clean. I know alot less about these, but reviews say they don't disappoint.
Overall they'd go well with your amp.
Both pickups would.
It's really your choice, if you were to get the pickups. The Camo is the same price you'd pay if you went to Guitar Center, maybe cheaper, and I realize your in Edmonton, so GC is not an option...
Camo wouldn't look too bad in there, kinda green and dark brown could work there...
Your choice on a good deal...
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Well, The D-Activators and D-Activator X's are very powerful. Basically the X's are more of a Chuga Chuga heavy pickup, while the normal D-Activators are more EMG 81 and 60ish sounds. Very very clean yet kinda trebely, But no mud when you play, Clean is alright, good with the neck pickup but thats why you have a middle single coil, for good clean sounds in there. Overdriven is decent, not too good. They are tight sounds if that's what your looking for. Very transparent of technique, they will force you to clean up sloppy playing.

The X's are for more loose Teh Br00tz, but still tight and clean. I know alot less about these, but reviews say they don't disappoint.
Overall they'd go well with your amp.
Both pickups would.
It's really your choice, if you were to get the pickups. The Camo is the same price you'd pay if you went to Guitar Center, maybe cheaper, and I realize your in Edmonton, so GC is not an option...
Camo wouldn't look too bad in there, kinda green and dark brown could work there...
Your choice on a good deal...

Well, I might check out how the pickups look up to the finish of the guitar when I buy it, but thanks for the info man. i was also thinking maybe an X2N do you have any experience with that pickup?

And since when is there GC in Vancouver, or Canada at all?
Last edited by Levi79 at Sep 4, 2010,
The x2n is the best pickup ever. Very high output and goes amazingly clean if you roll down the volume. The bass is rounded kind of and if you put the treble side farther from the strings its perfect for clean sweeps and stuff like that. But my favourite part is the harmonics sound perfect on this pickup probably the best ive ever heard. Pair it with the d activator x so it has the same look and balanced sound.
Quote by joel-lesperance
The x2n is the best pickup ever. Very high output and goes amazingly clean if you roll down the volume. The bass is rounded kind of and if you put the treble side farther from the strings its perfect for clean sweeps and stuff like that. But my favourite part is the harmonics sound perfect on this pickup probably the best ive ever heard. Pair it with the d activator x so it has the same look and balanced sound.

Alright, well the guy who is selling the ibanez, I bought a lawrence L500XL from. It was alright while I had it wired wrong through my valveking (LOL) but I fixed it, wired it up right and put it through my 6505. Not a fan. I was going to buy the same guys X2N but it was black and cream s i bought the lawrence. He said they were very similar is this true?

And I have a guy who wants to trade me a Duncan JB for my Lawrence. I think I'm going to do it, but would this give me a better sound than the duncan design distortion (suprisingly pretty decent) in my Jackson in the bridge?

And I have a chance to buy a EMG 81 85 set off my cousin for 100 bucks. Good deal?

And if i do buy the EMGs do you think i should put them in my jackson or ibanez?
Last edited by Levi79 at Sep 4, 2010,
I would say they are similar sound but ive never owned the Lawrence. I believe the difference is small but the x2n has more output and the Lawrence has less mid and more treble sounding. If you play anything heavy (death metal,metalcore,grind) i would go with the x2n but for more of a thrash sound i would say the Lawrence. Sorry i could not mention other genres i only really play metal and classical.
I would put the emgs in the jackson and put passives in the ibanez. And ya 2 emgs for 100 is like less than half price.
Quote by joel-lesperance
I would put the emgs in the jackson and put passives in the ibanez. And ya 2 emgs for 100 is like less than half price.

Yeah I really don't know why i asked which guitar to put them in lol. They would suit the jackson alot more, funny thing he's taking them out of his Jackson X sereis warrior.

But I liked the Lawrence except for the lack of, or things the X2N does have. I'll definitely have to check out one of those pickups. Is there any guitars that have them stock so i can check one out at a music store?
Thats the thing I hate about buying pikcups, you cant always try em out first.
And I play metalcore probably 90% of the time so I'm sure the X2N will do me well once i have the funds to afford one.
Ibanez since its a MIJ model for SURE.
The LTD is a nice guitar and I believe that model is still from Korea--although now they only make the 1000 series in Korea I believe.

That Ibanez is a sweeeet deal so grab it asap!
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Ibanez since its a MIJ model for SURE.
The LTD is a nice guitar and I believe that model is still from Korea--although now they only make the 1000 series in Korea I believe.

That Ibanez is a sweeeet deal so grab it asap!

Yeah, the ESP would shred, I know that. But after research that ibanez is a hell of a guitar and a hell of a deal
The x2n comes stock in Chuck Shuldiner tribute guitar the Bc Rich Stealth. Thats the only guitar that comes to mind. I think i get mine of ebay for $80 plus free shipping i live in Canada so idc where you are but im sure shipping inst that much. Look at Banjomikez on ebay its a good store for pickups. R.I.P Chuck
Quote by joel-lesperance
The x2n comes stock in Chuck Shuldiner tribute guitar the Bc Rich Stealth. Thats the only guitar that comes to mind. I think i get mine of ebay for $80 plus free shipping i live in Canada so idc where you are but im sure shipping inst that much. Look at Banjomikez on ebay its a good store for pickups. R.I.P Chuck

Yeah I'll probably just get a pickup on ebay, 80 bucks shipped on ebay, 125 at axe.