Why doesn't a manufacturer create an all tube amplifier with like 6 or 7 12ax7's for the preamp section, and two 6L6's and two EL84's in the power section.

Then using a microprocessor to open/close relays of some sort to "build" different amplifier tones based on settings you pick. I can imagine you would need a ton of different resistor/capacitor combinations, but it seems like it would be doable for a $2000+ amplifier.

For example, if you wanted an old class A SET amp, it would dynamically configure itself to use a single 12ax7 preamp feeding one of the 6L6's. Or, a high gain metal sound, it would use 5 or so 12ax7 gain stages, with two of the EL84's in the output.

Has any amp company tried something like this? Mesa sort of comes close, I know with some of their amps you can pick between 6L6's and EL84's in differing combinations.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Microprocessor to control tubes? BLASPHEMY!

I think Egnater's new amps let you blend the notes of 6L6's and EL84's. The thing is, with a whole bunch of tubes that aren't in use, it would be kind of inefficient. It's an interesting idea, but it would need some refinement to be put into practice.
LOL, well I meant use the microprocessor to control switching relays to enable/disable components such as valves, capacitors and resistors.

So none of the audio signal even touches digital (or solid state transistor).

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
hmmm... that's actually not a bad idea ) a modelling amp that sounds real... why don't they do that ? i mean, you could have a Mesa Boogie, a Marshall, a Randall, a Fender and whatever you'd want, without digital modelling of the sound.
The Mackie Hotwire actually does something like this. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works, but it seems pretty nifty.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
It seems like a product with a niche market, and because part of that niche is recording studios that already have plenty of amps, not a market likely to generate big revenue. Especially when the same money will buy an Axe-FX.
Take all of your funds for collage, retirement etc. and spend 5 to 10 years on a design, submit it to the discovery show "the pitchmen" and hope to hell that they do an ad for it.

But there is one problem. Think about how many tubes would be needed to replicate all of the different types of amps.
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
It'd be super expensive and hard to do.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It would cost a good $6k if not more and look something like this:

which is why Bruce Egnater decided to make modular amps.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 4, 2010,
You sure you don't mean EL34s? EL84s are low wattage and therefore lower headroom, so you wouldn't quite get an accurate br00tz tone out of them.

And anyway what you're talking about would require shit tons of different preamps, too much even, for one amp and for it not to be ungodly expensive.

As becky said, it's kind of been done with the Randall RM100 and the Egnater stuff, which use modular preamps based on lots of different circuits. It's very different to your idea because for one thing you can mix and match modules rather than choosing from a database of built-in sounds, so it's pretty inexpensive for what it is.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah my brother and this amp tech in houston talked about making something somewhat like this, but instead, it was:

a preamp that could hold about 4 other amps preamp sections' wiring, capicitors etc, so, put like 8 preamp tubes in a box with 4 modules that can have another amp's wiring so the preamp would BE that preamp

a power amp with 2-3 of like, every type of power amp tube, kt88, el34, 6l6, 6v6, and i think even kt66

But there were 3 problems
1: it was expensive as hell to make either, since the modules would have to be hand made, and even the "cheaper" the power amp, since it was "fairly straight foreward" was in excess of 2000 US dollars just to make

2: they would be HUGE

3: getting them to even work would take so much time, they might not even be viable

This is why the axe fx, while not perfect is better for the cost, plus, as time goes on modeling will just get better and who knows, maybe it will get perfect
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
You want to make an amp head that weighs 200 pounds, go for it.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10