Poll: What would have happened?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would have happened?
As portrayed in the book
32 67%
Differently. Please specify
16 33%
Voters: 48.
Just finished reading the book (a bit late, I realise). Thought it was alright but I didn't feel emotionally involved really

Anyway, it got me wondering, as was probably intended

Do you think that the boys would act how they did? I.e. divided, barbaric, ultimately blood-thirsty

Or would they act differently?
They would all die in a couple days in real life.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Yes, I do believe that's how children would act if stuck on an island with no hope of survival
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
I refuse to help you with your summer reading homework

that being said, yes I think they would have gone crazy
It's all just a joke

Quote by Momentosis

this. I think that they would act similar to how the book portrayed. They're only kids after all.
Quote by Momentosis

Exactly what I came in here to say.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
You can go 3 days without water 3 weeks without food and three months without compony with such a desperate need for resources they would not realise the importance of structure and simply murder each other.
It terrified the shit out of me (I hate the thought of being alone and chased) and that pig was freaky.

But meh, not convinced. It's a bit Hobbes and stuff, and I'm not convinced.
they'd probably all die, or one of them would eat all of them unless he was so scrupled from his pansy ass societal upringing that he would die from starvation, which is probably the case.

kids suck at working together, as you may have gathered.
Do kids really lust after blood though? Even without constraints from adults?

I doubt they would initially be so organised either.
Quote by fender_696

Haven't you ever gotten into a fight in elementary school?

those fights were fought to do some damage man. Kids are savage as hell.
Quote by fender_696

Wasn't there an element of organisation already in those weird-**** choirboys?

But yeah, I'm not convinced. Some kids are nasty little feckers, but I never tortured stuff, for example.
Quote by btones
Haven't you ever gotten into a fight in elementary school?

those fights were fought to do some damage man. Kids are savage as hell.
Of course

But I would never have actively and *rationally* (term used very loosely here with regards to the book), sought out to kill.

Fights arose out of an angry situation. When the fight ended, it was over.

Just looking back at my old Primary school, I doubt any of them kids were even capable of killing a pig, or child for that matter, yet alone lust after killing one (like Jack. He was nutty)

I don't think the book dealt enough with the circumstances that lead to them becoming barbaric
If they didn't act that way the book would have been The Blue Lagoon.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
If they didn't act that way the book would have been The Blue Lagoon.

What was the reaction like when it came out?
Quote by fender_696
Of course

But I would never have actively and *rationally* (term used very loosely here with regards to the book), sought out to kill.

Fights arose out of an angry situation. When the fight ended, it was over.

Just looking back at my old Primary school, I doubt any of them kids were even capable of killing a pig, or child for that matter, yet alone lust after killing one (like Jack. He was nutty)

I don't think the book dealt enough with the circumstances that lead to them becoming barbaric

thats true. the book is more an allusion to how messed up people in general are/can be with the removal of rules, more than children though. It could have been a book with all little girls and it would probably end the same way.
Quote by gabcd86
What was the reaction like when it came out?

It was a non event.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Weird. I just got assigned to start reading this the other day from my English teacher
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
You do realize that, being malnourished like the kids were after a bit, makes people not think anything but irrationally, right? Your body constantly going, "Feed me right, you piss ass jerk!" does tend to ruin your thought processes. The kids really would end up snapping, at least a few of them. It's not that far of a stretch to say that a kid, who in normal life, would torture and kill with impunity. It's also true that, once someone acquires a taste for blood, they would lust for it more and more.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 4, 2010,
The book was an extended metaphor; I don't exactly think it was intended as a realistic portrayal of how stranded children would act.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
The book was an extended metaphor; I don't exactly think it was intended as a realistic portrayal of how stranded children would act.
Depends on your own interpretation

Whether you take it at face value, such as what is being discussed in the thread (a legitimate approach)

Or whether you see any overarching themes; life without rules, how would people react in a state of nature (it's pretty Hobbes), are people fundamentally rational or barbaric etc etc.......
Quote by CheesePopcorn
they acted a bit barbaric for their time

For their time? Golding wrote the novel in the wake of the Second World War.

To give a bit of defence to Golding, the man was a schoolmaster at a boarding school, he knew what he was writing about. Children do form hierachies themselves, I'm sure they'd manage to find some sort of food for a while.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too