I need help tuning my bass is there a tuning thread...oh and I am not talking about standard tuning I'm looking for drop a drop c or anyothers for heavy metal bass playing
actually drop C is CADG but people misinterpret the definition of drop tunings much in the same way your Guitar has a tremolo bar so we all call CGCF drop C
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Sep 5, 2010,
Im pretty sure thats inaccurate.

Drop D is DADG, for barring a G5 chord with one finger. Much the same for Drop C tuning where you can play a F5 chord with one finger (which is why the 2nd and 4th string are an octave apart from each other.)

Standard tunings are a 5th away from each other, meaning that even C 'standard' would be CFA#D#, much like D standard is DGCF and normal E is EADG.

CADG doesnt make any sense to me. Why would I tune the 3rd string so far from C?
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Sep 5, 2010,
I believe the general consensus is that drop C is drop D transposed down a step.

Also, basses are tuned in perfect fourths, not fifths.

You tune to a drop tuning to give you that low note as a drone, exactly the same reason you tune to drop D.

C, F, Bb, Eb is C standard.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Sep 5, 2010,
Sorry, the whole fourth/fifth thing gets me everytime, ive always been bad at that.

Exactly, but even then the whole CADG tuning is just off. Point is, when I say "Drop C" im sure that at the very least 99% of the community would think CGCF.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Sorry, the whole fourth/fifth thing gets me everytime, ive always been bad at that.

Exactly, but even then the whole CADG tuning is just off. Point is, when I say "Drop C" im sure that at the very least 99% of the community would think CGCF.

Ah sorry, I misread what you wrote. I can't see much point to using CADG tuning when it makes powerchords difficult to use again. However, I suppose if you wrote a piece in it, you'd play the song like that.

Still, seems a redundant tuning in my opinion. Unless you want natural harmonics.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

from a technical point of view, drop C would be CADG, but it is so often interpreted as CGCF that it is now standard to call Drop C CGCF.

Its like if someone said when tuning to Eb Std. "okay, lets all tune to open Ebm11", while its technically correct, you just wouldnt hear someone say that.

thats how i see it, when someone says drop C i think D tuning with the D string dropped a tone to a C.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Not only would it make powerchords easy to play again, but everything in general. With CADG you would struggle playing lower end because C,D,E,F,G and all the halfs in between are played with only one string as opposed to a standard or drop tuning where you can switch over without having to go so far down the fretboard.

Atleast that how I think of it.

On a side note: I love natural harmonics <333333333333333333333333333333
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Not only would it make powerchords easy to play again, but everything in general. With CADG you would struggle playing lower end because C,D,E,F,G and all the halfs in between are played with only one string as opposed to a standard or drop tuning where you can switch over without having to go so far down the fretboard.

Atleast that how I think of it.

On a side note: I love natural harmonics <333333333333333333333333333333

a few songs and musicians use it: paul collier and one of muse's songs (i forget which one) use it, but thats pretty much it. it can be useful as the range is better, and you can play some interesting walking basslines using it, but overall, its no really worth it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Well, technically dropped tuning means the lowest string is a tone lower than usual.

Hence the common decision that CADG is not dropped, but rather twice-dropped. It's not double dropped, which is when the first and last string is dropped a tone (only really applies on electric guitar).

In every drop tuning, the last and 3rd string are the same note.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Drop the E to match the D. (Drop D)
Tune to standard using 5th and 7th fret harmonics from the E. (2 steps down.)
Drop the E (D) to match the D (C) again.

Congratulations, you are now in drop C. Play some br00t4lz.
i was reading through this thread again and spazs post confused me. then I remembered the original topic of the thread. we totally de-railed this one guys.

anyway from what I understand the true definition of a drop tuning is where the lowest note is dropped and all others stay the same, nutter may be right in that it can only be dropped one whole tone or else it becomes a "twice dropped." I was saying that the popular definition of drop C is drop D a whole tone lower.

in short if you walk into a room and say Whats drop C everyone will say CGCF and they will all be wrong, or they will be right and the dictionary will be wrong depending on your philosophical stand point.
no sir away a papaya war is on