Review: I love this thing, so far. The distortion is articulate and the bass is tight, though I suppose that was to be expected from a 6505. The cleans are surprisingly good. Bright cleans, not fender bright but still bright. That's what I was looking for. The reverb is kinda splashy but still sounds good on cleans. There's very little clean preamp headroom though - would changing V1 to a 12AT7 or 12AY7 help that? The crunch channel is very touch sensitive, and works well for blues (surprisingly enough) with the preamp gain down.

The amp came with Ruby 6L6GC's. The preamp tubes are shielded, so I can't see what brand they are. They're all in working order, though, so it's all good.

The construction quality of it is very sturdy; the power/standby switches are heavy duty and the pots feel smooth. The channel/crunch switches are a little sketchy though. The cab is really sturdy and the tolex has no bubbles or anything. I haven't even thought about turning it up yet, I'm kinda afraid of doing so.

My only Gripe?
The thing is absolutely ****ing massive - as in, it makes my (ex) Vypyr 75 look small. And it also weighs 60 pounds. I need to get casters for this monster in the near future, or I'm gonna end up hurting myself
All in all? 8/10.

I'll have clips up by next weekend, when I can borrow an XLR cable from school.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 4, 2010,
Nice, I've been considering selling my Randall half stack and getting one of those for Uni.

So with the clean channel, what sort of volume can you go up to without it getting a bit dirty?
Quote by mishax92
Nice, I've been considering selling my Randall half stack and getting one of those for Uni.

So with the clean channel, what sort of volume can you go up to without it getting a bit dirty?

Pretty high, so long as I keep the pre gain control at about 2. The thing is absolutely ****ing huge, keep that in mind when you're thinking about buying one. I'd say it's nearly big enough to be a 212.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 4, 2010,
nice!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?