Say you have a particular guitar amp, that you dont use. and a bass that has no amp.
If you change the speakers out to accomadate the bass, like a subwoofer style speaker, can you play bass through a guitar amp without destorying it?

P.S. I will be cranking it up too
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

yes you can, nothing will get destroyed. the EQ on the guitar amp will be unsuited to bass and it will sound weak. guitar amps are also made to distort so good luck getting clean bass tones. If you're trying to be cliff burton then go for it, if you wanna do anything else get a bass amp.

unless your guitar amp is retartedly clean and you can bypass the EQ by putting an eq pedal through the FX loop
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
yes you can, nothing will get destroyed. the EQ on the guitar amp will be unsuited to bass and it will sound weak. guitar amps are also made to distort so good luck getting clean bass tones. If you're trying to be cliff burton then go for it, if you wanna do anything else get a bass amp.

unless your guitar amp is retartedly clean and you can bypass the EQ by putting an eq pedal through the FX loop

are you friggin serious? ive played bass through a guitar amp and it sounded fine. it lacked a tiny bit of lows but bfd. it sounded fine.
^What Jim said.
Some guitar amps are made to distort in the preamp, which is why most amps have separate clean/dirty channels.
Ever played clean with a guitar amp? Of course you have. The only difference is if the amp is tube, you'll start to get some poweramp distortion when you turn it up over about half, which you've said you will. And you'll need to run it louder than with a guitar so you'll have less headroom, because we dont hear bass as well as midrange and high frequencies.
So if the amp is a 15w 1x8, just replace the speaker with a 8in woofer?
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

In my opinion, Modelling amps sound good with bass. Especially when the cab is 2 15" speakers and 2 tweeters with 4 ports.

I don't think there are any specific Bass speakers meant for just bass. Haven't heard of any.
My understanding is the Cabinet Construction determines if it's suitable for bass or not. Generally, bass amps usually have ports. Guitar amps usually dont. Unless you're me and want the most low-end possible.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by NickGiovanni
So if the amp is a 15w 1x8, just replace the speaker with a 8in woofer?

Yes but before you go buying a woofer, make sure it has the correct impedance. Your old speaker will probably somewhere on it sat 4,8, or 16 ohms on it. Make sure the new speaker has a similar ohmage and you're golden.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Make sure the new speaker has a similar The same ohmage and you're golden.

fixed.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by sk8freakrt
fixed.

Similar and Same are pretty much the same thing, albeit some little things.
..I was watching my death.
There is an incredible amount of misinformation mixed in with the few truths in this thread. Go ask this question in the Bass forum and you should get some better informed answers, as this question gets asked at least twice a week.
good idea. in that case i'll just close the thread to keep it from getting bumped.

TS, just go ahead to the bass forum. if anyone gives you any crap over it, tell them to PM me, where their messages will be quickly ignored and deleted.