Page 1 of 3
hey i have a few questions about tube amps

1. how often do you have to replace the tubes in the amp if you use it more as a bedroom amp vs a gig amp

2. how does it sound with an acoustic electric vs what it would sound like on a solid state?

thats it until i think of more
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Jackson Kelly Proffesional KE2
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps
Peavey ValveKing 100 Watt halfstack
Marshal MG 50 FX :p

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
tubes can fail at any time that`s why they have a short manufacturers warranty, you will find that the more you play a tube amp at gig volumes the likelyhood of failure will increase.

it`s more likely that a power tube will fail more than a preamp tube.

in terms of tone the general consensus is a tube amp pisses over of a solid state amp and i agree (i`ll expect a 13 y.o to quote the last statement and mention dimebag...imo he didn`t have good tone-expect a stack if you do)
Dime's tone sucked ass. Plain and simple. Except I'm twenty and have been playing for 8 years, so I should know better than to like Dime's tone
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
You only need to replace the tubes every few years. Some have said that for "optimal performance" you should replace them every 2-3 years, but tubes can last much longer than that.

When the time comes to replace tubes, there will be some pretty obvious symptoms. Often there will be random popping and banging noises, as well as fading power. Then you don't really have any choice but to replace them, but it takes a long time for it to reach that condition.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
tubes can fail at any time that`s why they have a short manufacturers warranty, you will find that the more you play a tube amp at gig volumes the likelyhood of failure will increase.

it`s more likely that a power tube will fail more than a preamp tube.

in terms of tone the general consensus is a tube amp pisses over of a solid state amp
and i agree (i`ll expect a 13 y.o to quote the last statement and mention dimebag...imo he didn`t have good tone-expect a stack if you do)

This is true, but there are good SS amps out there. There are just a lot more good tube amps.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
so a average consensus of when does a tube fail? and a little clearer on tone? i didnt quite under stand you
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
1) If you just use the amp in your bedroom, you won't need to worry about tubes for a very long time. There's always the possibility of a tube just failing - happens. But when we're talking about just wearing them out over time, that'll take many years with just bedroom use.

2) Depends completely on what tube amp and what solid state we're talking about. There's good ones and there's bad ones on each side.
Quote by TheQuailman
1) If you just use the amp in your bedroom, you won't need to worry about tubes for a very long time. There's always the possibility of a tube just failing - happens. But when we're talking about just wearing them out over time, that'll take many years with just bedroom use.

2) Depends completely on what tube amp and what solid state we're talking about. There's good ones and there's bad ones on each side.

i have a marshall mg 50 fx for my solid state as far as tube goes im still looking hence the questions my price range is from 300-400 and um i like a clean sound but gains nice too
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
The only decent solid state amp I've ever played was a Marshall Mode Four, and for whatever reason, I didn't buy it
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by mr ginger
i have a marshall mg 50 fx for my solid state as far as tube goes im still looking hence the questions my price range is from 300-400 and um i like a clean sound but gains nice too

Well, pretty much anything is better than an MG... :/

You need to be a lot more specific about the tones you want. What music do you play?
Do you need this for use with a band, or bedroom use only?
Also, 400 of what currency?
sorry i had a diff thread for that but its long gone so i didn tthink of adding it to this i guess i will

400$ USD
i play alot of genres but not (heavy rock, not alot of metel, no country)
i want it to have a really nice warm clean sound but also i fairly nice sound with gain
and mabey even sounds nice with an acoustic?
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
^That is still not specific enough. If everything else fails, just tell me some bands/songs you like the tone of.

At the moment I think a Fender Blues Junior might work for you.

I should mention that for acoustic, you usually use something more neutral sounding than an electric guitar amp - there's acoustic guitar amps and there's keyboard amps, for example. Electric guitar amps will usually cut off some of your top-end, which may be nice for electrics, but acoustics can sound kinda boxy that way. Some people even like that, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 4, 2010,
A Vk112 might not be a bad idea, or if you're lucky a JCM800 combo will pop up in that range.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
A Vk112 might not be a bad idea, or if you're lucky a JCM800 combo will pop up in that range.

I wouldn't recommend either if cleans are the priority (which they seem to be).
is replacing tubes on a hybrid different from a solid state?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

firstly i wanna say thanx to TheQuailman you seem to care and definently seem to know what your talking about i really appreciate it =)

here are some songs i love the tone of
* = like alot
joe satriani - always with me, always with you

december - collective soul**

one last breath - Creed**

_distortion_____________________

step right up - red jumpsuit apparatus

basically everything by rise against ---- SAVIOR *

hearts burst into flames, tears dont fall - bullet for my valentine

if you still want more ill work on more
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
^You're probably better off with a more modern amp... 400 isn't that much for high-gain amps, but looking at the Bugera 333 (and 333XL) can't hurt. Maybe a used Line6 Flextone (solid state modelling amp, and a good one) is worth a look, they can be bought for 300 on ebay and craigslist.

Quote by OliOsbourne
is replacing tubes on a hybrid different from a solid state?

There are no tubes in solid state amps. Did you mean if replacing tubes is different on a habrid compared to a tube amp? If so, it all depends on the amps we're talking about.
If it's a hybrid that uses tubes in the power section, they'll be accesible relatively easy, but you'll possibly have to adjust the bias on the amp. Which isn't a big deal if you know how to do it, but if you're inexperienced it can take some time and is dangerous, because you'll end up poking around in the guts of a device that works with several hundred volts.
If the hybrid in question has it's tubes in the preamp, they may be hiddend pretty well and not be accessible unless you take half the thing apart. But you don't need to worry about biasing with preamp tubes (in 99.99% of all cases).
any other suggestions? i youtubed the fneder blue jr but couldnt find any good vids on it
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
^I edited my above post. Sorry, I'm a bit slow today. Blues Jr probably isn't for you.

EDIT: Bugera V22 might be worth a shot and it's cheaper than the 333.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, pretty much anything is better than an MG... :/

You need to be a lot more specific about the tones you want. What music do you play?
Do you need this for use with a band, or bedroom use only?
Also, 400 of what currency?

I'm sure you formed that opinion all on your own

Get off the bandwagon. There are many amps far worse than an mg.

Not to say the MG is good by any means, but unless you have heard and played through nothing but nice tube amps your whole life, then the mg isn't that terrible.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I'm sure you formed that opinion all on your own

Yes. Kindly go screw yourself.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Get off the bandwagon. There are many amps far worse than an mg.

And there's many foods worse than broccoli, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Not to say the MG is good by any means, but unless you have heard and played through nothing but nice tube amps your whole life, then the mg isn't that terrible.

Wonderful, that's settled then. You can now remove yourself. Hush hush.
Quote by patriotplayer90

The MG is bad and you should feel bad for defending it. A shit amp is a shit amp, man, there's no way around it.

Besides that, the OP is looking for an upgrade, and you just made an entirely irrelevant out-of-context post about a tiny tidbit in Quailman's post that wasn't even particularly inflammatory. Goddamn.

Anyway, OP, I would second the Bugera V22 with an OD pedal to boost it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by TheQuailman
I wouldn't recommend either if cleans are the priority (which they seem to be).

I dunno, the VK's cleans weren't bad to me by any means
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by TheQuailman
^You're probably better off with a more modern amp... 400 isn't that much for high-gain amps, but looking at the Bugera 333 (and 333XL) can't hurt. Maybe a used Line6 Flextone (solid state modelling amp, and a good one) is worth a look, they can be bought for 300 on ebay and craigslist.

There are no tubes in solid state amps. Did you mean if replacing tubes is different on a habrid compared to a tube amp? If so, it all depends on the amps we're talking about.
If it's a hybrid that uses tubes in the power section, they'll be accesible relatively easy, but you'll possibly have to adjust the bias on the amp. Which isn't a big deal if you know how to do it, but if you're inexperienced it can take some time and is dangerous, because you'll end up poking around in the guts of a device that works with several hundred volts.
If the hybrid in question has it's tubes in the preamp, they may be hiddend pretty well and not be accessible unless you take half the thing apart. But you don't need to worry about biasing with preamp tubes (in 99.99% of all cases).

My bad I meant tube amp (don't know what i was thinking )

I was thinking of getting a Vox VT amp
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Bugera V22 sadly we dont have anyone around me that sells that =(
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
Guitar Center. There's gotta be at least relatively close to you.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The English in this thread is absolutely incredible

I wonder if TS doesn't mind buying used?
Quote by OliOsbourne
My bad I meant tube amp (don't know what i was thinking )

I was thinking of getting a Vox VT amp

That one's just got a preamp tube. I haven't tried replacing it, but I wouldn't worry about it. If I'm not mistaken, the tube in it is run with very low voltages, so it takes ages until it wears out. Or so I've been told. I know a couple of people who have been using these amps for years now and never needed to change the tube.
Quote by Raijouta
The MG is bad and you should feel bad for defending it. A shit amp is a shit amp, man, there's no way around it.

Besides that, the OP is looking for an upgrade, and you just made an entirely irrelevant out-of-context post about a tiny tidbit in Quailman's post that wasn't even particularly inflammatory. Goddamn.

Anyway, OP, I would second the Bugera V22 with an OD pedal to boost it.

It is a bad amp. But ravens and crates are worse and I haven't seen them get nearly the hate that an mg does. People on this forum are basically called idiots and laughed at for buying MG's when they made the purchase with little to no idea of what there is to look for in an amp besides the logo on the front.

Not the Quailman was acting condescendingly towards the TC, I just thought that people were over the overblown MG hate by now.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 4, 2010,
^Ravens and (cheap) Crates get as much mockery as the MG... when somebody asks about them. Which rarely happens. Now, questions about MGs is something we get a lot, comparatively.

Quote by oneblackened
Guitar Center. There's gotta be at least relatively close to you.

+1

Any of the bigger stores will stock one.

That's just the problem with gear... no store has everything (especially when talking about smaller ones). Sometimes you have to drive for an hour or two. :/
Quote by patriotplayer90
It is a bad amp. But ravens and crates are worse and I haven't seen them get nearly the hate that an mg does. People on this forum are basically called idiots and laughed at for buying MG's when they made the purchase with little to no idea of what there is to look for in an amp besides the logo on the front.

Not the Quailman was acting condescendingly towards the TC, I just thought by now people were over the overblown MG hate.

Ravens and Crates aren't nearly as visible as the MG, nor do they have the sheer juggernaut-type of power that the Marshall brand does. I mean, with those two brands, you expect low quality. It's an honest mistake to buy an MG, but the reasoning behind the hate is that Marshall is a legendary amp company with 40+ years of making absolutely amazing amps that all the greats from the '60s, '70s and '80s used, and then they shit out the MG series and try to claim that it gets 'the famous Marshall tone heard on all those records', and even get people like Zakk Wylde to bullshit about it.

I dunno about you but that's pretty disgusting, and I would expect better from them.

Anyway, we're both making off-topic posts, so I'm outta here.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 4, 2010,
im in nd there isnt one close....
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
Quote by Raijouta
Ravens and Crates aren't nearly as visible as the MG, nor do they have the sheer juggernaut-type of power that the Marshall brand does. I mean, with those two brands, you expect low quality. It's an honest mistake to buy an MG, but the reasoning behind the hate is that Marshall is a legendary amp company with 40+ years of making absolutely amazing amps that all the greats from the '60s, '70s and '80s used, and then they shit out the MG series and try to claim that it gets 'the famous Marshall tone heard on all those records', and even get people like Zakk Wylde to bullshit about it.

I dunno about you but that's pretty disgusting, and I would expect better from them.

Anyway, we're both making off-topic posts, so I'm outta here.

Except for the fact that they have been making crappy SS amps for years, even back when they were making great ones. And every single company does PR bs. It has been accepted by now that if you want a good marshall, you will be paying for it.

I realize this has all been off topic, and I apologize.

But yeah TC it looks like you are actually into higher-gain. Minus the Collective soul tone and other bands I'm not to familiar with, a mid to higher gain amp would be necessary. Creed uses Mesa Triple Rec, though I'm not sure that would do you well for Bullet for my valentine. If you could stretch out the budget a bit more I'd suggest Peavey JSX
Quote by Avedas
I'm pretty sure a Triple Rec would be nearly perfect for BFMV.

I apologize, I was thinking of someone else. You're right.

But that is definitely out of that price range
ok thanx for the suggestions possible tomorow or tuesday i will go to some of the guitar stores here and ill write a few amps i like down and see what you guys think thanx!
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
Quote by mr ginger

funny thing is, i was looking for one but i couldn't find one for like a month then I saw it in the hollobody room where it was all along

Does the vt tubes suddenly break when you use it?

Which is worse Line 6 or MG?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I second the Bugera 333/Peavey XXX/Peavey JSX. Especially for the satch tones. The cleans are alright too, much better then the MG but it's also no Roland JC or Fender Twin reverber.
Some of those modelling amps are freaking awesome for bedroom practice, cheap amp to leave at your girlfriends, etc, but won't have shit on a nice tube overdrive, especially for the bands you listen too.

The only experience I have with Line 6 modelling amps is the spider () and Vetta. The Vetta freaking rocks, spider blows caulk, and I hear the flextone is pretty decent as well.

@patriot um... Which crate amplifier are you referring to? The GX-130 and Blue Voodoo rock.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I second the Bugera 333/Peavey XXX/Peavey JSX. Especially for the satch tones. The cleans are alright too, much better then the MG but it's also no Roland JC or Fender Twin reverber.
Some of those modelling amps are freaking awesome for bedroom practice, cheap amp to leave at your girlfriends, etc, but won't have shit on a nice tube overdrive, especially for the bands you listen too.

The only experience I have with Line 6 modelling amps is the spider () and Vetta. The Vetta freaking rocks, spider blows caulk, and I hear the flextone is pretty decent as well.

@patriot um... Which crate amplifier are you referring to? The GX-130 and Blue Voodoo rock.

A couple old SS ones I had, the MG is boutique compared to those.

A bugera v22 won't get you the gain you're looking for except for collective soul, but that's attainable on any lower budget amp.

Peavey Ultra's go used cheaply, they are the same as the XXX, which are quite a bit like Triple REc's.
Quote by mr ginger

V22 won't have the gain you want. At least not without an OD pedal. I've played it and I own the V5. Good little amp but it's more for cleans and lower gain overdrive type stuff. It's pretty comparable to the Fender Hot Rod or Peavey Classic Series.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Page 1 of 3