Edit: So what EQ do you guys recommend?

I can get the Boss GE-7, MXR 10-band, and MXR Kerry King 10-band for relatively cheap. Are those three any good? Any other suggestions?

I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul Studio with DiMarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone pickups through a Cornford MK50H on a Cornford 4x12 cab (which I believe have V30's in 'em)

For some odd reason... I'm getting some pretty high frequencies out of this setup, but it's not fizz. I still get them with treble and presence on 0. I've cranked it up to 4 or 5 (50 watts) and I'm still hearing them. Should an EQ pedal fix this? I've read on here that a good 10-band EQ pedal should be able to weed out high frequencies that even dogs can hear. I've tried a Boss OS-2 in the front (Level - anywhere from 5 - 10, everything else 0) which tightens the bass pretty well and adds a bit more mids, but I can still hear them.

I'm not completely sure about the history of the head, but it might still have the original tubes (~2002?) Should a retube help with anything?

Don't get me wrong - the amp is extremely incredible. It took me a month and a half of having it to nitpick this out.

Thanks.
Last edited by jnukes2 at Sep 6, 2010,
I think you answered your own questions in saying that an EQ pedal would definitely help cut out some of the higher frequencies immediately so you could try that.

However, 8 year old tubes that have been used frequently throughout that entire span eventually wear out and may need replaced eventually.

Also - I envy you and your amp choice. Good god I don't think I want to know the price, but that is an amazing amp from what I've heard/experienced.

EDIT: I just realized you were pretty big on Guitar Hero and whatnot a couple years ago. Seems like we both shifted interests quite a bit
Last edited by polishedbullet at Sep 4, 2010,
Cool, great replies so far.

What are some good EQ pedals? I was looking at MXR's 10-band EQ. Is there a difference between that one and the Kerry King one they make? I can get them pretty cheap. But are there any other good ones? Assume no budget for now.

I'll get an EQ pedal first before swapping out tubes... I'd like to have one as it is, anyway.

Yeah, the amp is really amazing. One channel, but it does it really well! And if you want to know.... I paid $5500 for the head and cab.... not! I got really lucky.

EDIT: Hahaha! Yep, that's me. I never got around to FC'ing TTFAF on GH3 though.
Last edited by jnukes2 at Sep 4, 2010,
The KK isn't worth it over the regular 10band unless you have a use for the two outputs.

You can get a used rack EQ for less than any of the pedals you've looked at brand new, which is what I'd do if you don't want or need footswitchability (I think some rack EQs do have footswitch capabilities though) I myself got a used 15 band rack EQ for $30. The only thing is though, the more bands you have is the more time you spend tweaking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Anything to look for and avoid as far as features and quality? Or are all EQ's pretty much the same quality - differences only being the amount of bands?

Also, I have no idea about rackmounted gear. Do they just have in and out like pedals? Are there guitar-specific units?
Yes, they just have ins and outs like pedals. Some EQs have two inputs and two outputs to use two different EQs at once.

You don't need a guitar specific unit because a graphic equalizer is meant to accomodate a wide range of frequencies.

As for quality, some EQs will be better than others, that's all I can say. You just have to keep your eyes open and avoid ones that look chintzy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by polishedbullet

However, 8 year old tubes that have been used frequently throughout that entire span eventually wear out and may need replaced eventually.

Tell that to my 33 year old tubes
They have been used everyday for an average of 1 hour, for the last 2 years.
I don't know how much my dad played though.

I don't think a 10 band EQ would stop the stuff only dogs can hear. a 31 band EQ, now that's more like it.
I got my DOD 31 band EQ for 40 dollars. Look around for used ones.
I need to mod it to have a footswitch though. It's normally meant for PAs.
..I was watching my death.
Damn, that's a hell lot of tweaking.

Thanks guys. I'll look into that DOD EQ.
Quote by jnukes2
Damn, that's a hell lot of tweaking.

Thanks guys. I'll look into that DOD EQ.

Check into any EQ. The DOD is jsut what I found.
There's actually one on the local used listings, for 50 bucks. It's a Peavey. There's a Alesis Quadroverb on there for 50 bucks as well.
Quote by timbit2006
Tell that to my 33 year old tubes

Thats because they're old. Modern day tubes don't last as long as NOS ones will.
8 year old tubes could be microphonic, I'd change them rather than buying an EQ to cover the problem up.
Quote by littlephil
Thats because they're old. Modern day tubes don't last as long as NOS ones will.

You have a good point there.
Things aren't made like they used to be.

The tubes are all Magnavox.
I was surprised to find that Magnavox used to own Ampeg.
Also, Mitsubishi making TVs. I have one. Old, and is all blurry.
Quote by timbit2006
Check into any EQ. The DOD is jsut what I found.
There's actually one on the local used listings, for 50 bucks. It's a Peavey. There's a Alesis Quadroverb on there for 50 bucks as well.

Local used listings?

Quote by forsaknazrael
Geez, silly question, but have you tried using your guitar's tone knob?

Yes, that is a silly question to me. Yes I have, but not for the purpose of rolling down the high frequencies from the EQ itself. I'm looking to shape/fix my EQ, not to shape my tone (grr, I know EQ plays a part in that, but I think that makes sense ). But yeah, like I said, I think I'm really nitpicking when it comes to this. It's not hiss or fizz, though. The treble and presence controls are very sensitive, but there's just this one thing I'd like to tweak...
An EQ pedal should help but really, you should sort out the amp first. An EQ pedal should be used to get different colouring more than to fix an inherent problem with the amp.
JJ 12AX7s should tame the top end, definitely worth a try.
Also, perhaps you just don't like the sound of V30s? Try running it through a different cabinet if you can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jnukes2
Local used listings?

www.castanet.net
The Okanagan Valleys used listings.
If only I didn't have to soundproof and acoustically treat my studio... That's 300 bucks there. With that 300 dollars, I could by a whole effects rack!
But, if it stops the neighbors(and by that I mean Neighborhood) from complaining...
Cathbard: I've been planning to get an EQ pedal anyway, so I think that'll be my first step.

Hmmm... new preamp tubes? I play with relatively mid to high gain (but not "brutal", as they say here). I've also been thinking about getting a different overdrive pedal. I don't want to rely on too much preamp gain.

I kind of want to say with the matching head and cab (for now at least). In the past, I've had a 5150 on a Mesa 4x12 (V30's), Mesa DC-5 combo (C90), and a Carvin V3 combo (V30's). I'm fond of mids, so I guess I'm used to the V30's sound. What speakers are in between the C90 and V30's? I'm about to try an half-open Orange 2x12 pretty soon.

Quote by forsaknazrael
The tone control doesn't "shape your tone". It just rolls off treble. That's how it works.

Yeah but there's a huge tonal difference between the treble rolled off the amp vs the tone knob rolled off on the guitar.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The tone control doesn't "shape your tone". It just rolls off treble. That's how it works.
Well, I guess it depends on your semantics, but I'd say rolling off treble in front of the preamp definitely shapes your tone.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
You'd actually be Wiping off treble.
Pots have a wiper in them. I don't think they have a roller.
^

Quote by Kanthras
Well, I guess it depends on your semantics, but I'd say rolling off treble in front of the preamp definitely shapes your tone.

Well, I said it like that because there are different kinds of tone controls, whereas the guitar tone control is a very simple low pass filter. Changing the capacitor size changes which treble frequencies are rolled off.

If high frequencies are a problem, adjusting a low pass filter can help. That's why I suggested it.
And actually, an amp's EQ is a series of passive bandpass filters as well.
Quote by timbit2006
You'd actually be Wiping off treble.
Pots have a wiper in them. I don't think they have a roller.
Fair enough.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^

It's what Beavisaudio says, it's what I'm going by.