Hey guys im currently looking for a good amp.To be mor specific im looking for a amp that can do balls to the wall metal. as u can tell im a big metal metal player but i really like having diversity in tone.For example i want to be able to play jazz and blues to. My main guitar is the jon donias esp ltd with an emg 85 at the bridge and a emg 81 in the neck. my price range is 900 and i would preffer a combo but im open to suggestions. Im currently looking at line 6 bogner 212 combo with 2 celestion vintage speakers which i played and it sounded really good but i want to know if there are any other good amps out there and i also want to hear your opinions about the line 6 bogner.Thanks guys
our moral compass only shows us the way it doesnt push us towars it
Engl Savage
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The Line 6 Spider Valve (w/ Bogner designed power section) is an ok amp. It's very diverse and is best for hard rock/metal. That being said the tone does not stand up as well to regular tube amps or other modelling amps in general because Line 6 is using their lower-end modelling in that amp. However, you also have to remember that tone is subjective AND that some people like the more processed/digital sound. In my opinion the line 6 amp models in the spider valve really suite some styles of music really well. My suggestion is to play some other amps and see how you like them in comparison. A good competitor to the Spider Valve is the Peavey Vypyr 60 or 120 (Tube versions). To many the vypyr is a better quality modeler and is cheaper.

peavey 6505+ 1x12 is a great all-tube combo that works really well for rock/metal. it can also do jazz and blues too if you turn the gain down :-)

EDIT: some other options for you--

Blackstar Venue Series HT Stage HT-60
Randall RT50C
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 4, 2010,
budget?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
The Line 6 Spider Valve (w/ Bogner designed power section) is an ok amp. It's very diverse and is best for hard rock/metal. That being said the tone does not stand up as well to regular tube amps or other modelling amps in general because Line 6 is using their lower-end modelling in that amp. However, you also have to remember that tone is subjective AND that some people like the more processed/digital sound. In my opinion the line 6 amp models in the spider valve really suite some styles of music really well. My suggestion is to play some other amps and see how you like them in comparison. A good competitor to the Spider Valve is the Peavey Vypyr 60 or 120 (Tube versions). To many the vypyr is a better quality modeler and is cheaper.

peavey 6505+ 1x12 is a great all-tube combo that works really well for rock/metal. it can also do jazz and blues too if you turn the gain down :-)

i owned a 6505+ and i returned cuz the gain was so disgusting on the clean im on a 900 dollar budget and i dont like the peavey vyper
Quote by Carrot
Engl Savage

$900 budget? I don't think so, bro.

OP, check out a 2-channel Dual Rectifier, you can sometimes find them on your budget. I'd also look at the Peavey XXX, 3120 and JSX.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
$900 budget? I don't think so, bro.

OP, check out a 2-channel Dual Rectifier, you can sometimes find them on your budget. I'd also look at the Peavey XXX, 3120 and JSX.

yea dude i typed engl savage and wen i saw the price i was like wtf by the way i have a valveking and it doesnt have any scoop at all
Quote by Longcat919
i owned a 6505+ and i returned cuz the gain was so disgusting on the clean im on a 900 dollar budget and i dont like the peavey vyper

not that it really matters because you say you don't like it but what do you mean the gain was disgusting on the clean? are you saying that the cleans weren't clean? I've played one with active EMG's and I can get a great clean sound out of the rhythm channel. The trick is to turn the pregain down around 1-2 and turn the postgain up.

perhaps the 6505+ you had had bad tubes in it and that's why the sound was crappy? i played one at a local store a few months back and the powertubes were dead.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
not that it really matters because you say you don't like it but what do you mean the gain was disgusting on the clean? are you saying that the cleans weren't clean? I've played one with active EMG's and I can get a great clean sound out of the rhythm channel. The trick is to turn the pregain down around 1-2 and turn the postgain up.

perhaps the 6505+ you had had bad tubes in it and that's why the sound was crappy? i played one at a local store a few months back and the powertubes were dead.

what i mean that the way i had to get clean on that amp was stupid .
Quote by Longcat919
what i mean that the way i had to get clean on that amp was stupid .

why was it stupid?
by the way what im really stuck up against is whether i should get the spider bogner 212 or the bugera 333xl 212
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
why was it stupid?

i had to turn the gain all the way down i shouldnt have to do that on a amp
skin read the OP haha i read the 900 as a JCM 900
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Longcat919
i had to turn the gain all the way down i shouldnt have to do that on a amp

why shouldn't you have to do that? there are no 'rules' when it comes to amps.

anyways, the bugera 333xl is a good amp and might be a good choice for you. it's very similar to the peavey xxx (jsx too basically) which has already been suggested.

its really too hard to say which is better for you unless you play both amps. technically you'll probably get a better tone out of the bugera but you wont get the extreme versatility of the spider valve.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
why shouldn't you have to do that? there are no 'rules' when it comes to amps.

anyways, the bugera 333xl is a good amp and might be a good choice for you. it's very similar to the peavey xxx (jsx too basically) which has already been suggested.

its really too hard to say which is better for you unless you play both amps. technically you'll probably get a better tone out of the bugera but you wont get the extreme versatility of the spider valve.

i dont kno i guess im going to have to play both
i love all these what amp threads that are like i need sick metal tone, and great cleans along with good blues and classic rock crunch. Utopia amps are win.

For 900 bucks that doesn't exist. You mentioned metal as the main component, so i would look to a used 6505 plus a 1x12 or 2x12. The metal tone is A+, the crunch is around B, the cleans are probably B-/C.
Guitars
Amps