So I just bought a brand new Fender Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, but still need to upgrade my amp. I'm looking for a good tube amp that will be good with my strat for blues and rock tones. My price range is 500-1000 dollars. Any ideas?
fender blues deluxe ? combo, 1x12, sounds good, saw some go for 600-700$CAN used.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Marshall JCM2000 DSL or Class 5 combo
Mesa Caliber or F Series
Egnater Tweaker
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Just a small list of readily available amps.
Quote by Ibzman
fender blues deluxe ? combo, 1x12, sounds good, saw some go for 600-700$CAN used.
Yeah I got one for $350 (USD). Awesome deal.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Blues and rock tones like what? Name some bands/artists. John Mayer's tone, for example, is very different from Rory Gallagher's.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Blues and rock tones like what? Name some bands/artists. John Mayer's tone, for example, is very different from Rory Gallagher's.

He speaks the truth. The Fender HRD is a good choice. The Blues Deluxe as well. They both have some of the best cleans I've ever heard for a sub $1,000 amp.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I play a lot of bluesy stuff like Clapton, Mayer, Stevie Ray, Hendrix, etc. and the rock music I mostly play is Incubus, Tool, RHCP, Zepp, Modest Mouse (if you consider this rock), etc. I don't really play any super heavy metal.
a used fender 65 twin reverb reissue.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by AndrewB24
I play a lot of bluesy stuff like Clapton, Mayer, Stevie Ray, Hendrix, etc. and the rock music I mostly play is Incubus, Tool, RHCP, Zepp, Modest Mouse (if you consider this rock), etc. I don't really play any super heavy metal.

In that case, both the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe sound like they'd be right up your alley.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
For your bluesy stuff, yes a Fender amp is an ideal match, especially a Twin Reverb. Fantastic tone if for your new strat. You can pull off some great sounding stuff. However, Fender amps really suck at hard rock. They are just not built for Tool or Incubus. Yes You can pull off some rock with a Fender amp, but think Tom Petty, not Tom Morello. The best amp for both the blues world and rock world is simply a Marshall. And don't go cheap on it. Search eBay and Craigslist for a decent used one. Well worth the money. Do some research to decide which model is best for you.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Fender Blues or Pro Jr. Power amp distortion is a staple of the blues rock sound. turn it up to 10 and throw an OD in thurr.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
if you haven't gotten an amp already i thought it would be a very big thing to point out that your not gonna get a very good tool sound with a strat no matter what.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by grungebaby
if you haven't gotten an amp already i thought it would be a very big thing to point out that your not gonna get a very good tool sound with a strat no matter what.

No matter what? I'm in a death metal band and own a stock single coil 06 American Standard Strat running through a Peavey 6505 Head and Mesa Recto 2x12 cab... I gig regularly with it, and let me tell you, it can actually keep up with my passive pickuped HH guitars. I even recorded a few riffs for a single my band was recording not too long ago with it, so I'm sure TS can manage to get some Tool tone if he chooses an appropriate amp. Amps play a huge role when it comes to tone, and strats are versatile guitars.

Now back on topic. Personally, although it might be hard, I would try and find a used Mesa F series. It produces great tone and sounds great overdriven as well as clean.
Quote by soul_power
In that case, both the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe sound like they'd be right up your alley.

They're mostly not Fender tones, except SRV, Mayer (to some extend) and maybe Modest Mouse, never heard of them.
No matter what? I'm in a death metal band and own a stock single coil 06 American Standard Strat running through a Peavey 6505 Head and Mesa Recto 2x12 cab... I gig regularly with it, and let me tell you, it can actually keep up with my passive pickuped HH guitars. I even recorded a few riffs for a single my band was recording not too long ago with it, so I'm sure TS can manage to get some Tool tone if he chooses an appropriate amp. Amps play a huge role when it comes to tone, and strats are versatile guitars.

Ok that was kind of hastely put, I'm saying if he wants a Tool sound along with a good blues sound he really shouldn't be looking for 1 amp, I really doubt that theres gonna be an amp that will push a strat to Tool and still be able to do John Mayer. Sorry about that, I should've worded that differently.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by WtrPlyr
They're mostly not Fender tones, except SRV, Mayer (to some extend) and maybe Modest Mouse, never heard of them.

Well unless he buys a Fender and a Marshall he's not going to nail everything he's looking for perfectly. That being said, a Fender will cover SRV, Clapton, Mayer, Hendrix, Modest Mouse, and RHCP pretty well. It may not be what THEY used but it will work. And you've never heard of Modest Mouse
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Last edited by soul_power at Sep 6, 2010,
traynor ycv40, maybe? it's still pretty fendery on the clean channel (granted, the fender has the edge there), but the overdrive channel is a lot nicer than the fender hot rods'. Would be worth considering, at any rate, considering the range of tones you need.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
traynor ycv40, maybe? it's still pretty fendery on the clean channel (granted, the fender has the edge there), but the overdrive channel is a lot nicer than the fender hot rods'. Would be worth considering, at any rate, considering the range of tones you need.

These are indeed very good amps. A bit hard to come by though. At least in the states.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
The fenders are good for nearly everything... but Tool kinda throws a wrench in there. Too much gain for a fender. I second the YCV40.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I wouldn't reccomend a Mesa F series for blues personally.

If I played that sort of music, I'd get a used Fender Twin with a good dist pedal.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by oneblackened
The fenders are good for nearly everything... but Tool kinda throws a wrench in there. Too much gain for a fender. I second the YCV40.

Tool is pretty hard to duplicate with any amp. Adam Jones plays through a Mesa, a Diezel, and some sort of Marshall Bass head. Not exactly a simple rig.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by soul_power
These are indeed very good amps. A bit hard to come by though. At least in the states.

i thought they were fairly common in the states, but i could be wrong. worth a try if one can be found, kind of thing.

Quote by oneblackened
I second the YCV40.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?