And it was pretty freakin awesome. He was very helpful and down to earth, answered all my questions, and showed me some cool legato stuff afterwards at my request. I haven't taken a guitar lesson since I started about 15 years ago so I didn't know what it would be like, but everything about it met or exceeded my expectations. If you're in the Houston area I highly recommend you check him out!
that's wicked. Im not a big fan of his style, but he' definitely knows his shit. I'm way up in Canada, but i'm curious on how much he charged?
100 bucks per... i honestly hope it was worth it.
slightly unrelated but
chris broderick does lessons too
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Its 160 for 4 half hour lessons, and yeah it was/will be totally worth it. I think the online ones are $100 an hour.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm honestly not sure that lessons from these "celebrity guitar teachers" are really good...

Considering they're only celebrities to a handful of people makes them less of celebrities and more like idols. They know their shit, they are succesful with their playing, and possibly acquired teaching skills if he was taught.
That's awesome.

I hate his style, he's far to fast and mechanical sounding to my ears, but it's still well cool you got to have a lesson with him.

Also to the person who said celebrity guitar lessons aren't good - you've obviously never seen Satch or Gilbert lessons on youtube - those guys would improve your playing for sure. 'Celebrity' status has absolutely nothing to do with teaching ability.
I think he's a terrible teacher. I have two of his former students, one of which grew up with him, and knows him personally. I think you'd actually learn something from Ron Jarzombek though, he seems to have a good handle on teaching, and he'd positively smoke Cooley.

I also have a Greg Howe and two Marshall Harrison former students.

But what matters is what you think of the experience, and value for the money, and if works for you, kudos.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 5, 2010,
Good to hear that you had a good lesson.
And 160 for 4 half hour lessons doesn't seem too bad considering the price of some people's lessons.

Personally I'd love to have lessons from Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan and Dave Weiner. But I have no cash or means to get taught by them!
Quote by greg3456
And it was pretty freakin awesome. He was very helpful and down to earth, answered all my questions, and showed me some cool legato stuff afterwards at my request. I haven't taken a guitar lesson since I started about 15 years ago so I didn't know what it would be like, but everything about it met or exceeded my expectations. If you're in the Houston area I highly recommend you check him out!

So what did you learn?
shred is gaudy music
A lot of ways to make my practice time more efficient and kind of a new approach to some of the exercises i was already doing, which i think is going to help a lot. Then he asked if there was one thing we could do that when i left i would be like "man that was badass" what would it be, and I feel like i have pretty poor legato technique, so he showed me how to do it a lot better and gave me some exercises. And it was badass
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm honestly not sure that lessons from these "celebrity guitar teachers" are really good...

This.. You could be the greatest mathematician in the world and still be a shitty math teacher.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
This.. You could be the greatest mathematician in the world and still be a shitty math teacher.

Lol I have to say this was a terrible analogy
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
Lol I have to say this was a terrible analogy

Nah, it was perfect, just a tad estranged!

Edit: I make no assumptions about Rusty Cooley's teaching skills, however. My whole point is that you can't judge teaching skills based on playing skills.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by greg3456
A lot of ways to make my practice time more efficient and kind of a new approach to some of the exercises i was already doing, which i think is going to help a lot. Then he asked if there was one thing we could do that when i left i would be like "man that was badass" what would it be, and I feel like i have pretty poor legato technique, so he showed me how to do it a lot better and gave me some exercises. And it was badass

Sounds like you enjoyed it and learned something (and know what you learned). Plus meeting someone that you personally look up to is inspiring.

Thats pretty cool man, If I could take a lesson with one of my favorite guitarists I'd do it as well.

Quote by Eastwinn
You could be the greatest mathematician in the world and still be a shitty math teacher.

This is certainly true, but the TS obviously got something out of the lessons, and can afford it, so I don't see a problem.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Eastwinn
Nah, it was perfect, just a tad estranged!

Edit: I make no assumptions about Rusty Cooley's teaching skills, however. My whole point is that you can't judge teaching skills based on playing skills.

You seconded someone who said that guitar lessons from celebrities are no good.

How else did you think it was going to look. And if you're not making an assumption about the 'celebrity' in question why'd you agree with it?

Regardless of who or what Cooley is, if he taught the TS something then noone else should make any judgements until they have PERSONAL experience with his lessons themselves.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
You seconded someone who said that guitar lessons from celebrities are no good.

How else did you think it was going to look. And if you're not making an assumption about the 'celebrity' in question why'd you agree with it?

Regardless of who or what Cooley is, if he taught the TS something then noone else should make any judgements until they have PERSONAL experience with his lessons themselves.

I interpreted his post as "I am skeptical of celebrity lessons" which I agree with. We are actually in complete agreement.
I still don't know about these celebrity lessons. The guy I take lessons from knows his shit (aside from the basics, he's taught me about polytonality, polymodality, satellite tones, voicings, modes based on harmonic minor and melodic minor, chord functions, polychords, time signatures, syncopation, polyrhythms, polymetres, tone clusters, etc.), and he's just some local jazz musician who has a kid now and hasn't played a gig in ages. And his lessons are $25 a half hour. If you can get lessons like that from a non celebrity, then why not? What is the real advantage of taking lessons from someone who's famous as apposed to someone who isn't (not that I'm trying to be a ****, I honestly am curious about what all the fuss is over)?
Well the way I look at it, if I want to be awesome at shredding peoples faces off, and one of the best shredders around lives 40 minutes from me, wouldn't it make sense to learn all I can from him? I'm sure there are plenty of people who could teach me how, probably for a lot cheaper, but there's a lot of real world experience they might not have at their disposal to share with me.
Quote by greg3456
Well the way I look at it, if I want to be awesome at shredding peoples faces off, and one of the best shredders around lives 40 minutes from me, wouldn't it make sense to learn all I can from him? I'm sure there are plenty of people who could teach me how, probably for a lot cheaper, but there's a lot of real world experience they might not have at their disposal to share with me.

Hey dude if you like taking lessons from him then go for it. It doesn't really matter what we think after all, you're the one who takes the lessons, right?
If you could have an hour lesson from ANY guitarist who would it be? (sorry off topic just wondering)

Mine would probably Guthie Govan I love the way he explains stuff and obviously knows loads.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

to answer above: probably Pat Metheny or Mick Goodrick.
as to celebrity lessons: I think with lessons you should study with the best teacher you can afford. if you can afford to study with Rusty Cooley and he is an adequate teacher, I don't see why not and 160 for four half hour lessons ($40 a half hour, not bad at all as far as study with professionals go). There are celebritys who are terrible teachers and great players who are terrible teachers, but there are also great players who are great teachers and prominant educators (george garzone, bob moses, reggie workman, pat martino for example) . Moreover, an aspiring shredder studying with Rusty Cooley seems like an apt analogy to a young violinist studying with someone in the New York Philharmonic, which is something many serious musicians do either in college (depending on the school they attend) or before or after.
Quote by brandon2784
If you could have an hour lesson from ANY guitarist who would it be? (sorry off topic just wondering)

Mine would probably Guthie Govan I love the way he explains stuff and obviously knows loads.

Tommy Emmanuel - the greatest living guitarist - I wouldn't even care if I learned from him, he's freaking amazing and I have been blown away from him from the first time I saw him. It was awesome to be there in person when he was Inducted into Guitar Player Hall of Fame Legendary Guitarist a couple years ago - at the Muriel Anderson All Star Guitar Night! I totally destroyed all my SD Cards in my camera videoing him

Mike - T Mac is my favorite of all the NeoClassical Shred Guitarists (Another favorite is Vinnie Moore). I had his Varney stuff back on cassette in the 80s I met him a couple years ago, that hair is gone and he has a shaved dome now! No longer playing BC Rich either, he's with Carvin

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 7, 2010,