So one day I was pondering about pickups (this connects to the topic, just bear with me) and how the output works

I've always been a high output guy, but I see the advantages of lower output pups, like better cleans, and such, but to me pups like the dimarzio x2n are perfect output for distortion, but too high output for clean

the rub is that I feel that a pup like the tone zone would not drive the amp enough, and so i would have to turn the gain on my amp up, which adds fizz, as we all know

so, can a boost pedal or an OD take low to mid output pups and increase the output without changing the pickups base tone

Also, what exactly are the differences between running an OD and a boost in front of the amp, I mean besides pushing the tubes harder for more distortion, what do they do to the sound

Thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Can an OD be completely transparent? If you're Paul Cochrane it can.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Essentially yes, what you want is a transparent OD which basically boosts the signal with minimal change in tone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
The Tone Zone is pretty high output. There are boost pedals that can increase your signal without changing tone like the EXH LPB-1. Overdrive pedals like the tube screamer will color your tone.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Well as far the tone zone, I was just saying that if I found it to be too low ouput for my tastes, would a boost increase output without affecting the clarity, tone, character etc

but are there any truthfully transparent boosts, that don't affect tone AT ALL?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
i believe seymour duncan an mxr make a pedal that does that. The duncan one is called "Pickup Booster" and MXR makes the mirco amp and the boost/line driver.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Paul Cochrane. The Tim/Timmy are the most transparent OD's you'll find. I wasn't just spouting random shit, ya know...

Quote by bogg808

Quote by justinb904
The Tone Zone is pretty high output. There are boost pedals that can increase your signal without changing tone like the EXH LPB-1. Overdrive pedals like the tube screamer will color your tone.

Who thinks the LPB-1 sounds transparent? If you want transparent, look at an Xotic RC Booster, Paul Cochrane Tim/Timmy, Creation Audio Labs Mk 4.23, Lizard Legs Flying Dragon and the MXR/CAE boost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
hahaha the LPB-1 is very non-transparent. VERY.

i'll second the Tim/Timmy. Paul Cochrane worked some magic there...
TS, get on the list for a Timmy, or if you don't feel like waiting, get the CAE boost. I'm rather against the ridiculous rates that used Tim's and Timmy's go for, but if you're dead set on one, go for it.

Quote by bogg808

The Tone Zone is mid-high output and sounds good for cleans, but an OD is always nice.

You could look at the Danelectro Transparent OD on the cheap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ Danelectro Transparent OD, compares VERY WELL to the Timmy. And you need like a day to save up for it :p
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
I don't suppose any of you guys with a Timmy have drawn up the schematic for it have you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I don't suppose any of you guys with a Timmy have drawn up the schematic for it have you?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y4AYtND8Hz8/SDNMRfHYKEI/AAAAAAAAALI/LjTrmxycb4c/s1600-h/tream2ed5.png
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mcraddict81592
TS, get on the list for a Timmy, or if you don't feel like waiting, get the CAE boost. I'm rather against the ridiculous rates that used Tim's and Timmy's go for, but if you're dead set on one, go for it.

I love my Timmy, and got on the waiting list by clicking buy here:
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/pacopatipe.html

It took about 1 month.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 5, 2010,
For an application like this, I'd maybe consider one of EMG's preamp offerings over a pedal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
For an application like this, I'd maybe consider one of EMG's preamp offerings over a pedal.

the pedal will be more versatile i think...
A timmy is not going to do what you are looking for if you want to increase the output with no color. If you want the base tone to stay the same, you need a boost that has a flat frequency response and no clipping what so ever. That would keep the tone of your pickup the same, just increase the output. A MXR Micro Amp might work for this, but it may clip a bit with higher gains. The power supply inside is only a 9 volt battery, so it will clip around 3.5-4V. If you can build your own or know a friend who can, the best clean would be an op-amp with a high voltage.

I found the sound of both a booster and a od to be acceptable when pushing athe front end of a tube amp. The od I used was a tube screamer with the gain turned down all the way. This leaves some of the picking dynamics there.
Last edited by dacole at Sep 5, 2010,
a timmy will do what he wants, it sounds like you havn't used one before.

If you set the gain, treble and bass controls to 0 and the level ontrol to about 3 o clock it will work as a clean boost. very transparent to my ears.

EDIT: BTW, the MXR Micro amp will work the same way an electro harmonix lpb-1 will, it will boost, but it will also colour the tone. A transparent boost pedal wouldbe the MXR CAE version.

EDIT 2: The Xotic RC Booster is also a good option.
Last edited by bogg808 at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by bogg808
the pedal will be more versatile i think...

Depends on what he needs. An colourless active preamp might be better suited if he only has one guitar with mid/low output pickups and no need for an OD pedal overall.

For that matter he can always do both, but the preamp will do exactly what he wants and is designed for that exact purpose.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Cathbard
Thanks, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

Say, old owl, would you mind posting your layout if you decide to build a clone? For those of us who suck at these kinds of things.
bogg808,

I said the timmy wouldn't work because I have seen the schematic for it. It has diodes in the feedback for clipping the signal so its bound to do some coloring of the signal. I am not saying it doesn't work for boosting the frontend of a tube amp, but I believe the orignal post says he doesn't want anything coloring the pickups, so a clean boost is what it looks like he needs. I would say trying a clean boost and an od pedal like the timmy might be his best bet because he may enjoy the timmy more than a clean boost.
hey dacole,

I can understand that, but I am going off experience, having owned two timmys, and playing them through multiple different amps, I can hear that they don't colour the signal when set properly (see one of my above posts).
I re-read your settings for the timmy and I see what you are saying. You are right, I haven't used a Timmy, but maybe some day I will be able to. I have heard lots of good things about them.

I don't agree with the assessment of the MXR Micro Amp though. It would give more of a boost with out coloring the signal then the LPB1. They are built entirely different. These ones I have used.
fair enough about the micro amp, i havent tried that one, but ones ive heard seemed to add clipping, maybe that was just pushing the tubes or bad audio quality...
That could be. I think a pickup with hotter pickups would easily clip it to. They have a bit of gain to them. So many toys, so many options.
Try a Lizard Leg Effects flying dragon boost. best clean boost out there bar none.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.