That said, it does sound pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxAerqnwrs

Does any one have any experience with these amps? I do have some money to blow on a low wattage amp, is this worth it or is it a better investment of my money to spend it one something way cheaper.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
If that feels insulting, you'll explode when you see the price of the Xits Sadie X15.

No experience related to the thread though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The Mesa TransAtlantic is a similar price, although granted it's 25w and more like $800 IIRC.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
.. Okay, forget about the price
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
.. Okay, forget about the price

No matter what, the Marshall clones always win.
Everyone is throwing a fit that it's a hybrid, but it sounds damn good. Does anyone know the tube compliment?
$900 sounds ridiculous.

I would LOVE to see a schematic for this thing...

EDIT: Found it. One 12ax7 and two EL84's. The single 12ax7 is probably used as a phase inverter, which would mean the preamp is all solid state. The price tag is crazy, but atleast they're not marketing it as "all tube" like Blackstar did with the HT-5.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Sep 5, 2010,
thank you my good sir for showing this to me. 750 for the head version, a bit pricey, but definitely something i might be interested in. i must find one of these around here.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Fargen amps should make an amp called the "ice hole"
they should also do the "cork sucker", and the "somana bastitch"
Last edited by sethp at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by sethp
Fargen amps should make an amp called the "ice hole"
they should also do the "cork sucker", and the "somana bastitch"

k.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dont flame me but it sounds a tad like an Orange
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
ENGL is just one of those awesome companies making awesome amps
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
How do we know the 12AX7 is used for the phase inverter? The PI could easily be SS.

Either way, I think if you had to have one tube in an amp, it would be in the power section. You can get a pretty good SS preamp, but a good SS poweramp is harder (if you're going for tube tone, that is).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras

Either way, I think if you had to have one tube in an amp, it would be in the power section. You can get a pretty good SS preamp, but a good SS poweramp is harder (if you're going for tube tone, that is).

+1

The hybrids with tube-power-sections I have tried were very nice and could compete with all-tube designs in their respective price ranges.

Dunno how much that has to do with an ss power-amp being hard to build for guitar purposes, might be just an issue with quality in certain price ranges (I wouldn't expect the best ss power-amp in a 200€ hybrid). There are ss amps that sound great, after all.

I don't care what technology it uses as long as it sounds good.

As to the Engl: Haven't tried it, but the clips I heard were nice. Dunno if I'd take it over a Night Train/Tweaker/Lionheart L20T, but it bears consideration at least.
Quote by TheQuailman
Dunno how much that has to do with an ss power-amp being hard to build for guitar purposes, might be just an issue with quality in certain price ranges (I wouldn't expect the best ss power-amp in a 200€ hybrid). There are ss amps that sound great, after all.
It's just very hard to recreate the interaction between power tubes, output transformers and the speakers with SS tech.

Getting close to preamp tube clipping and distortion is much easier.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Raijouta
The Mesa TransAtlantic is a similar price, although granted it's 25w and more like $800 IIRC.

LOL here the mesa is like 2.5 times the price of the engl.

Or more like
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kanthras
It's just very hard to recreate the interaction between power tubes, output transformers and the speakers with SS tech.

Getting close to preamp tube clipping and distortion is much easier.

That might be true, but who said you need to recreate all that to sound good? It all depends on an amp's purpose and what tones it is supposed to produce.
Quote by TheQuailman
That might be true, but who said you need to recreate all that to sound good?
I didn't.
It all depends on an amp's purpose and what tones it is supposed to produce.
Yes, but most people want tube tone, so that's what companies tend to go for.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
I didn't.

Then why mention it in the first place?

Quote by Kanthras

Yes, but most people want tube tone, so that's what companies tend to go for.

I thought we were talking about what sounds good, not what someone wanted to sell people.

Look man, I know I'll get flamed for this, but I actually like you. Yer a nice chap and you want to help others out. But you pick arguments where the is no need for them. Or sometimes you act like there is an argument even though there is nothing to argue about, like in this case. It is seriously annoying and you'd get a lot less flames if you stopped it.
Quote by Kanthras
How do we know the 12AX7 is used for the phase inverter? The PI could easily be SS.

I totally agree about the power amp, which is exactly why I suggested the 12ax7 is used for the PI.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by TheQuailman
Then why mention it in the first place?
Because it was relevant to the subject at hand.
I thought we were talking about what sounds good, not what someone wanted to sell people.
I was just stating some facts about SS tech.
Look man, I know I'll get flamed for this, but I actually like you. Yer a nice chap and you want to help others out. But you pick arguments where the is no need for them. Or sometimes you act like there is an argument even though there is nothing to argue about, like in this case. It is seriously annoying and you'd get a lot less flames if you stopped it.
I wasn't arguing at all, just stating some facts. I was trying to inform you.

I know I tend to argue a lot, because I like discussing/arguing things. But this was no argument, I assure you.
Quote by Checker
I totally agree about the power amp, which is exactly why I suggested the 12ax7 is used for the PI.
I guess the PI is part of the power section but what I meant there is power tubes+tranny. I think a PI can very easily be replaced with SS parts without much tonal difference. Unless you OD the PI maybe. Not sure how often that happens. Most likely, that would be properly nasty if it happened to a plain SS PI.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras

I guess the PI is part of the power section but what I meant there is power tubes+tranny. I think a PI can very easily be replaced with SS parts without much tonal difference. Unless you OD the PI maybe. Not sure how often that happens. Most likely, that would be properly nasty if it happened to a plain SS PI.

A cathodyne or paraphase PI will distort a lot. If the 12ax7 is used as the PI in the Gigmaster it would most likely be a long tailed pair though. A long tailed pair is a lot cleaner, but will clip a little when driven hard. I think the clipping threshold is like twice that of a normal gain stage.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Checker
The price tag is crazy, but atleast they're not marketing it as "all tube" like Blackstar did with the HT-5.
Blackstar never did that with the HT-5. How would you know, all you've apparently read is the garbage that gets spewed on UG.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Blackstar never did that with the HT-5. How would you know, all you've apparently read is the garbage that gets spewed on UG.

Yep. That's exactly it. I'm just going off of what UG tells me.

I just came back to UG after six months of not being here. Go see for yourself. My last post before coming back was, ironically, about the HT venue series, asking if they were hybrid or all tube. Whatever garbage you're referring to must have shown up during that time, because I've never read it before.

What I HAVE read is the Blackstar website. All over the website the HT series is referred to as a valve amp. "5 watt valve combo," "5 watt valve head," "5 watt valve mini stack." What I struggle to find is the word "hybrid" or "solid state" anywhere on the site. Have a look for yourself: http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/index.html

You're telling me that is not coming across as an all tube amp?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Sep 5, 2010,
^ agreed. While I agree that sometimes UG goes over the top, and that there are bandwagons (but show me a forum which doesn't have bandwagons), the fanboyism mystifies me too. Do you all have shared in Blackstar? Are you one of the venture capitalists who lent them the money to get started up in the first place?

I mean, jeez. Even if you're right, you're right on a technicality. And I'd personally suggest you aren't right, even on a technicality.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?