how should i work this out? im the bassist and the lead singer. im not gonna get rid of the celloist so dont even suggest that, i feel the need for a cello in several songs. what my problem here is, do i need to have both the bass and the cello for every song? could there be songs where we make extensive use of the cello and dont have my bass and i can just sing and go nuts? does my bass playing seem almost unneccessary when there's already a cello? thanks for any help!

oh and also, i compose all the music so i just need to know, does the cello ever play full chords, or just single notes?
The cello will mostly be used for melody lines I presume. There's not much point for you to play lines other than pumping the roots (which if you're singing too, would be fine) if there's a cello bringing out the color of the chords and playing melodic lines.

And yeah it'd be cool for the cello to pump a bass line and you just go nuts w/o playing XD
And on the contrary, there could be a few songs where the cello player steps back and you have a feature on the low end.
Ying and Yang, man.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
The cello will mostly be used for melody lines I presume. There's not much point for you to play lines other than pumping the roots (which if you're singing too, would be fine) if there's a cello bringing out the color of the chords and playing melodic lines.

And yeah it'd be cool for the cello to pump a bass line and you just go nuts w/o playing XD
And on the contrary, there could be a few songs where the cello player steps back and you have a feature on the low end.
Ying and Yang, man.

sweet, i like to just go crazy and dance and stuff when i sing and sometimes its hard to when i have to carry a bass around haha
I would let the cello take bass duties in songs that don't require both. How I would work this out for most of the time is to play the low octave give the cello the guitarists low octave and keep the guitar in its higher two octaves.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Well, it worked for the band 10,000 Maniacs. Listen to the album Our Time in Eden to see how the cello fits in with a typical band with a bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
nirvanna did it a couple of times too. dumb, i think is the name of the song that they do it on. "i think im dumb, or maybe just happy" (cello desending line)
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
nirvanna did it a couple of times too. dumb, i think is the name of the song that they do it on. "i think im dumb, or maybe just happy" (cello desending line)

oh yeah they did it on the mtv unplugged thing too, and that 1 song where kurt was hella quiett i dont remember the name...
Quote by the_perdestrian

The song is "Dumb" and yes, the cello sounds rather sweet in that.

I've seen a few people do bass / cello combos, esp at the Bridge Concert series, which requires acoustic performances.
Cello's are tuned C2, G2, E3, A3. Basses are tuned E1, A1, D2, G2. Its is reasonable to say that the cello may be better suited to the melodic sections, and the bass to either pumping out a steady groove, or roots. Either way, I think It'd work fine.
From a strictly classical composition standpoint, the cello and bass often used to play the exact same part. This is why the upright bass is called the Double Bass, because it doubled the bass part being played on the Cello, one octave below. It doesn't sound muddy and horrible because of the different timbres of the two instruments.

As for your questions, it's your band dude, do whatever you think is right. You could definitely have songs without bass and just cello, it's just not going to have as much low end (which could work, depending on whatever genre you play).

Keep in mind that the cello is well suited to melodic lines, and can't really play straight chords because of the curved action (don't know what the proper classical term for this is, but think about the curved bridge and neck, and trying to play more than 2 strings at the same time...). However, breaking the chord into arpeggios works really well.

Hope i was of some help, keep us posted! this sounds pretty interesting.
The cello is much more of a melodic instrument than the bass guitar. I know, because i play both. I dont think there should be much problem at all with regards to their role in a song. Although it does depend on the song slightly i suppose.
Quote by DPinky
Keep in mind that the cello is well suited to melodic lines, and can't really play straight chords because of the curved action (don't know what the proper classical term for this is, but think about the curved bridge and neck, and trying to play more than 2 strings at the same time...). However, breaking the chord into arpeggios works really well.

Actually, all instruments in that family can play chords. Double stopping (two notes at once) is the most common form of this, but triple stopping is also possible. Felix Mendelssohn also used quadruple stopping in a violin concerto, however this is physically impossible without breaking it up - so basically two lots of double stopping in a VERY short space of time. You may be able to incorporate some sort of power chord on cello, using double stopping.
Besides... ask your cellist what they are capable of!
It seems like it would be best used for short little fills, depending on what style of music you play of course. I just don't see a cello blending well with drums for some reason The first example that comes to mind when I think of cello in rock is Silversun Pickups Kissing Families http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euRuxOAcrs&ob=av2e somewhere towards the endish. might be a more minor role than what you want though. Also my little sister has been blaring unceasingly Secrets by One Republic? I think? Anyways, check that out, its pretty much pop, but its got a sweet cello intro that the whole song is really based around