I've got a lump of wood here, but both faces are uneven. (dodgy planing)

Is my best bet to take it down to a local joiner and get them to run it thru a jointer? I would use the thicknesser at work, but with both sides being all over the place it wouldn't really help.

Any other suggestions?
Quote by ridder
I've got a lump of wood here, but both faces are uneven. (dodgy planing)

Is my best bet to take it down to a local joiner and get them to run it thru a jointer? I would use the thicknesser at work, but with both sides being all over the place it wouldn't really help.

Any other suggestions?

You say both sides are all over the place, and dont want to use a thicknesser... ? that makes no sense to me... that is what a thicknesser is for, to make them flat and even...
A thicknesser will only make the wood an equal thickness, it will not make it flat. You need a jointer to make the wood flat and then run it through the thicknesser to make it an even thickness. Or, you could use a sled with shims to keep the board from rocking and then run it through the thicknesser to make it flat.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Yeah dude... A planer makes it flat and smooth. It will square itself up when you feed it through.

That's what I thought too.
..I was watching my death.
A thicknesser according to wiki - If the lower face is not flat, the feed roller pressure pressing the board against the table will deform the board, which will then spring back as it leaves the machine, resulting in a non-flat upper surface.
Alrighty, ill wait for the boss to go on holiday then i'll give it a go.
I have built furniture for a living before I went to law school. A thicknesser will not get it flat. IT is not designed to get it flat. It will only get it parallel to the other side.
You may be able to get away with it is the wood was already rough milled but if the wood has any uneveness or curvature, it will not make it flat. Run a 2 x 4 from home peot through your thicknesser and tell me if that straightens it. There is a reason that jointers were designed.
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
I have built furniture for a living before I went to law school. A thicknesser will not get it flat. IT is not designed to get it flat. It will only get it parallel to the other side.
You may be able to get away with it is the wood was already rough milled but if the wood has any uneveness or curvature, it will not make it flat. Run a 2 x 4 from home peot through your thicknesser and tell me if that straightens it. There is a reason that jointers were designed.

He didn't say it's curved, he said it's uneven due to poor planing. When you're thicknessing a block of hardwood that's thick enough for a body blank then the feed roller won't push hard enough to that small and semi-large gouges the width of a planer blade will make a difference. A 2x4 is pretty soft, so any unevenness will get marked by the feed roller.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Sep 7, 2010,