Hey i have a squire strat and i wanted to make it sound more exspensive =D
I mainly play red hot chili peppers stuff and i wanted to start playing metal.
Does this seem like a good setup?
I was thinking of putting a SD cool rail as a neck pickup for RHCP's and a EMG-SA in the neck for playing metal.

If you can suggust some better pickups please say so and if this idea is stupid please say so.Im not really a fan of having the power the EMG's with batteries but i had the sound of them and i almost died.
To be honest, I had a squire, and I would just save up for a new guitar.
What's your current amp?

If it isn't a high-end SS, or a fully tube-driven amp, a pickup change will do nothing for your tone.
Quote by Tanaboon
To be honest, I had a squire, and I would just save up for a new guitar.

why? my squire is built great i just wish i could have better tone
Quote by TheAbsentOne
What's your current amp?

If it isn't a high-end SS, or a fully tube-driven amp, a pickup change will do nothing for your tone.
I have a squire sp-10 22 watts.I also have a pod x3 which i might craigst list and get a peavy amp
It's damn hard to mix actives and passives. One will sound good, the other awful. Go with a set of passives or set of actives.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
It's damn hard to mix actives and passives. One will sound good, the other awful. Go with a set of passives or set of actives.

This. And get a tube amp first, cuz an amp affects the sound more, if you still don't like it, change the pups, but stick to either active or passive, not a mix.
Quote by Dio10101
This. And get a tube amp first, cuz an amp affects the sound more, if you still don't like it, change the pups, but stick to either active or passive, not a mix.

wells what are the pros and cons of active or passive?And what pick ups would you recommend?remeber thought i want to be able to keep a RHCPs tones in the neck and the ability to get a good metal tone outta my bridge
Actives have much weaker magnets and built-in preamps. Originally designed for jazz, they caught on with heavier styles since they make it much easier to push a tube amp into overdrive.

Passives have stronger magnets, and send a signal directly out.

Pros and cons? Actives have batteries that can die, and uh... I guess with passives, the stronger magnets will reduce string life, but it's probably not by enough to make a difference.

There are passives with more output than probably any active- don't make a fuss over active/passive since even audiophiles can barely tell the difference based on that alone. Find pickups you like and go with that.

For RHCP? Go with a '59 CS neck pickup. Then at the bridge, get a stacked humbucker or full size and a new pickguard.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
Actives have much weaker magnets and built-in preamps. Originally designed for jazz, they caught on with heavier styles since they make it much easier to push a tube amp into overdrive.

Passives have stronger magnets, and send a signal directly out.

Pros and cons? Actives have batteries that can die, and uh... I guess with passives, the stronger magnets will reduce string life, but it's probably not by enough to make a difference.

There are passives with more output than probably any active- don't make a fuss over active/passive since even audiophiles can barely tell the difference based on that alone. Find pickups you like and go with that.

For RHCP? Go with a '59 CS neck pickup. Then at the bridge, get a stacked humbucker or full size and a new pickguard.

replacing my pick guard is more work and money.I plan to go to guitar center to get my pups replaced
I really think you should reconsider.

Take the money you're going to throw into the pups and save up for a better amp.

It's hell to hear right now, I know. Been there done that.

You'll be happier in the long run with a new amp.

Also, what happens when you tire of your Squier and want a new better guitar? Just food for thought.

Think about the future of your playing.
would this be a good choise then cool rails in my neck pickup and a hot rail in my bridge pickup?i have no idea what to do with my middle pickup but leave it blank
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I really think you should reconsider.

Take the money you're going to throw into the pups and save up for a better amp.

It's hell to hear right now, I know. Been there done that.

You'll be happier in the long run with a new amp.

Also, what happens when you tire of your Squier and want a new better guitar? Just food for thought.

Think about the future of your playing.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

how is this amp better than my amp thats 22 watts?Besides the effects.
okay well im going to be getting a peavey vypyr 15 amp used for 70 bucks and i was looking up some pups.From what i've heard the Hotrails from SD are good for metal.
would this be a good combo of pups?

neck:cool rails
middle:stock idk what to do please suggest some ideas
bridge:hot rails
How often do you use your middle pickup?

I liked the sound of the stock one on mine, and if you don't even use it a whole lot, don't change it. Put the money towards a nice pedal or something.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
How often do you use your middle pickup?

I liked the sound of the stock one on mine, and if you don't even use it a whole lot, don't change it. Put the money towards a nice pedal or something.

i almost never use the middle pickup.It's not that it's a bad tone i just like the other better -D

well anyways it would harm anything if i left it alone right?
Quote by thatguy512
i almost never use the middle pickup.It's not that it's a bad tone i just like the other better -D

well anyways it would harm anything if i left it alone right?

Not if you're keeping them passives. Even if you change to actives you could bypass it, but I love the middle pup too much to consider that.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
Not if you're keeping them passives. Even if you change to actives you could bypass it, but I love the middle pup too much to consider that.

yeah im keeping them passive
Man the squier is just awful. Save up for a new guitar or amp
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
For the love of god, listen to everyone. A pickup change is just going to be a complete waste of money until you have a really solid amp. I know it seems like it'll be cheaper and eaiser to just change pickups, but in the long run it isn't. If you spend money on pickups now - which won't improve your tone at all - then that means you'll have to wait even longer before you can buy a proper amp. It is quicker and also far cheaper in the long run to just save up once and buy a really nice amp right out of the gate. Pickups do not effect your tone anywhere near as much as you think they do. Pickup changes are for tweaking an already good tone once you have a great amp and a good guitar. Changing pickups in a weak guitar into a sub-par amp still leaves you with crap tone.

In addition to that, if you did end up with the Vyper then there's really no point you changing to any kind of high-output pickup as an amp like a Vyper doesn't make any real use of the output of your guitar, it reacts to high output just the same as it reacts to low output. High output pickups are for people who want to drive a naturally high-gain valve amp (which the Vyper isn't) harder without using boost pedals or excessive preamp gain (which you're not doing).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
For the love of god, listen to everyone. A pickup change is just going to be a complete waste of money until you have a really solid amp. I know it seems like it'll be cheaper and eaiser to just change pickups, but in the long run it isn't. If you spend money on pickups now - which won't improve your tone at all - then that means you'll have to wait even longer before you can buy a proper amp. It is quicker and also far cheaper in the long run to just save up once and buy a really nice amp right out of the gate. Pickups do not effect your tone anywhere near as much as you think they do. Pickup changes are for tweaking an already good tone once you have a great amp and a good guitar. Changing pickups in a weak guitar into a sub-par amp still leaves you with crap tone.

In addition to that, if you did end up with the Vyper then there's really no point you changing to any kind of high-output pickup as an amp like a Vyper doesn't make any real use of the output of your guitar, it reacts to high output just the same as it reacts to low output. High output pickups are for people who want to drive a naturally high-gain valve amp (which the Vyper isn't) harder without using boost pedals or excessive preamp gain (which you're not doing).

okay your point is made but the thing is i really don't need a sweet amp for my room and no one has answered my question yet.thats also the reason i don't get a tube amp is because of noise issues.I still should i even change my stock pickups in my strat if i even wanted to play some metal?