Im just a beginner at the guitar and have only been playing about a month. Im trying to learn a cover to a song and i just cant seem to figure out the strum pattern. I have managed to figure out the chords but the strum pattern is too fast for me to keep up. If you can help i would appreciate it greatly. The link to the video is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5GlzxquFfc
Thanks!
Sounds like alot of down strokes. That higher pitched strum is an up stroke. Just fiddle around with it a bit and you'll get it.
Quote by nightwindelf88
Sounds like alot of down strokes. That higher pitched strum is an up stroke. Just fiddle around with it a bit and you'll get it.

nightwindelf88 is right, it´s almost al down strokes, actually you can hear that he´s playing the downstrokes muted at the beginning, the strokes that do ring are up´s.

i know getting strums going is hard in the beginning, wat i did was tap the rythym first, without guitar at al, onece i had the rythym it seemd alil more easyer on guitar.

A hard song though for beginners i think, but it´s good to challenge yourself.

Good luck!
he's definitely influenced by jack johnson
check out like flake, or rodeo clowns

if u dig that strumming style, you'll like him
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
I still personally cannot grasp some strum patterns (but i'm working on it ), so like acousticpl@yer said, tap the rhythm first. Count to the beat so like:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

That's a simple rhythm, but you'll find that in most cases the downstrums tend to be on the numbers, and the up strums on the +'s. It goes more complex sometimes with mutings and stuff, but once you grasp a simple rhythm you'll be fine