I hope this is the right place for this thread, but anyways im looking for a laptop.
Just so you know, i am going to school for audio engineering/recording. I plan to become a recording engineer/music producer. With this in mind, i need suggestions for a laptop. I want a laptop that will not only have enough speed but has alot of memory and that such. Im not really very good with computer stuff yet, but im sure as i go to school that will change. I will be using this computer for recording music/editing/mastering all that stuff as well as schoolwork. I do know i want it to have Pro Tools. I know these are expensive, but Price is not really an issue as i will likely be getting this laptop as gift. (not to sound snobby or spoiled cuz im not) I want this to be a TOP OF THE LINE laptop as far as music production type stuff goes.
Any suggestions?

Edit, sorry for being so general, i just really dont know anything about computers. Anything that you think would help me is greatly appreciated.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Ya know, you could get a laptop but you'll still be limited to a slow Hard drive as well as a smaller screen. Anything made for gaming is a good start IMO but the battery won't last any more than a few hours.

I suggest the Dell XPS line and customize it to have 6-8GB of DDR3 RAM, an Intel i5 processor, and at least a 500GB drive in it......if you can find one that spins at 7200rpm that would be best as the slower standard speed drives in laptops spin at 5400rpm and limit the amount of tracks you can use.

You'll rarely see a studio work on laptops because you can't upgrade them and they are very limited........not to mention get quite hot!

A good desktop is the best way to go if you can lock it down in a room and keep it safe.

http://www.pcper.com/ has a HW Learderboard which suggest a few parts for a different price range of systems you may want to build.
On the other hand, most off the shelf computers should work just fine as they are just as fast as custom builds. Building a computer was something best to do a few years ago but I don't see much advantage of doing that these days.
Battery life doesnt really mean anything to me, it will most always be on the charger anyways. I figured that a desktop would be better, but i would really enjoy having the portability of a laptop. Even the more expensive top of the line Mac's would still limit me with a slow hard drive?

Also, ive seen this laptop on tv. Its a pc (cant remember the brand) but it has a commercial with fr. dre in it and the commercial says its "the first laptop built for music" it comes with beats audio installed as well. any thoughts on this?
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
The 15" + Macbook Pros do offer the ability to upgrade your HDD to a 7200RPM version.

Don't fall for one of those "built for music recording and video editing" laptop offers....they are just hyped up in price for what you get.

In the end a laptop PC may work but overall I personally would go for a mac as ProTools runs better on OSX and you have less issues with security so you don't need any bulky AV programs running in the background.

I would get the following:
- 15" Macbook Pro
- 2.53GHz Intel Core i5
- 4GB Memory (RAM) - If you want more, buy two sticks of 4GB DDR3 from any online sore, Apple hypes the prices for RAM like crazy.
- 500GB 7200RPM drive

That setup should run ya around $2,000 from the apple store.
If price really isn't an issue, take a look at:

ADK Audio

Rain

Both these brands make systems intended to be used as a DAW. You cannot beat them when it comes to recording on a laptop. They are pricey however, and you could get one hell of a Desktop with the kind of money they're asking for which would outperform any laptop, very very easily.

But baring in mind this is what you are actually going to be studying, i would definitely be looking around this price range.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Darkpagey
If price really isn't an issue, take a look at:

ADK Audio

Rain

Both these brands make systems intended to be used as a DAW. You cannot beat them when it comes to recording on a laptop. They are pricey however, and you could get one hell of a Desktop with the kind of money they're asking for which would outperform any laptop, very very easily.

But baring in mind this is what you are actually going to be studying, i would definitely be looking around this price range.

Can ayone else reccomend these? Thanks for all your guys' help and suggestions.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I would say that they're expensive for what they are in comparison, but they're the best at what they do. Again, if price is of no concern for TS, then these will get the job done better than many, if not all other laptops on the market.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic