Page 1 of 2
Are you of Skeptical Nature?

Basically I want to know if there are any Skeptics in the Ultimate Guitar Community and what are you sceptical about.

These are the Podcasts of skeptical nature I listen to on a regular basis to help the posts ideas and topics

The Skeptics Guide To The Universe
Irreligiosophy (Highly recommended for Atheists…and Mormons)
Geologic Podcast
Skeptics with a K
The Skeptic Zone
Skeptoid
Righteous Indignation
Rationally Speaking
I think I am, but I'm kind of skeptical about it.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
I'm a hardcore skeptic about everything.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I'm skeptical of this thread.

BAM.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I am of sceptical nature, and thinks a lot of "alternative treatment" is bs. However, I swear that my house was haunted until the summer of '08. Furthermore, I am a Christian, though not a conservative one.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by sfaune92
I am of sceptical nature, and thinks a lot of "alternative treatment" is bs. However, I swear that my house was haunted until the summer of '08. Furthermore, I am a Christian, though not a conservative one.

Interesting...were you converted or did you have Christian parents who brought you up as one?
I try to be sceptical against everything. I always demand evidence before I accept any proposition as true.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
I am atheist so naturally yes I am. If you dont have evidence and a damned good logical argument to back up your case, I wont even entertain your case for more than 5 minutes.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
**** yea dude i listen to irreligiosophy in particular since my whole family is mormon.
I love skepticism
I am an athiest studying chemistry...what more can i say?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
I always want evidence of stuff before I believe in it, but at the same time, I accept really dodgy, dubious evidence.
XIAOXI
If you're a christian/theist you can't be a skeptic. It's just how it is. It's like saying you're simultaneously completely green and blue.
Quote by Mudmen190
If you're a christian/theist you can't be a skeptic. It's just how it is. It's like saying you're simultaneously completely green and blue.

That's not true, a true skeptic wouldn't believe there ISN'T a God without irrevocable proof. So the only way to be a skeptic is to be a hardcore agnostic.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by Brendan1
**** yea dude i listen to irreligiosophy in particular since my whole family is mormon.
I love skepticism

So are you deconverting?
Probably
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by jeffmetalhead
Interesting...were you converted or did you have Christian parents who brought you up as one?

I have always been, I think. Furthermore, my parents didn't bring me up as one; I am only "forced" into church once a year, and that's Christmas. (Well, as well as confirmations too..)

And: @!-twisty-!: I am a Christian wanting to study Computer Science. Beat that.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Sep 5, 2010,
aside from the usual skepticism regarding religion, i'm also very skeptic of people's actions and motives.

i don't trust most people and believe that you can almost always find underlying selfish motives for certain seemingly harmless actions. it's not an awesome way to make friends i assure you, but it's good to be able to spot when someone, even a friend, tries to take advantage of you for whatever reason.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
@sfaune92, i think chemistry is more skeptical than computer science :P
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by Waterboy799
aside from the usual skepticism regarding religion, i'm also very skeptic of people's actions and motives.

i don't trust most people and believe that you can almost always find underlying selfish motives for certain seemingly harmless actions. it's not an awesome way to make friends i assure you, but it's good to be able to spot when someone, even a friend, tries to take advantage of you for whatever reason.

Yeah people who pedal alternative treatment/medicine are a good example.
As for the friendship subject Brian Dunning of Skeptoid Episode 116 would be a good listen on this subject
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I'm a very rational person, so by definition I'm sceptical (wtf is this sketpical shit, crazy yanks :P) of any mumbo-jumbo non-evidence based crap, I'm not religious, am really anti quackery and alternative medicine shit, aliens building pyramids, ghosts, crazy conspiracy theories, etc.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
That's not true, a true skeptic wouldn't believe there ISN'T a God without irrevocable proof. So the only way to be a skeptic is to be a hardcore agnostic.

That's false. A sceptic only believes in something with empirical evidence, and seeing as how there is no empirical evidence for the existence of God, a 'true' sceptic wouldn't believe in God in the first place.
Quote by Waterboy799

I like to think that a good friend, whenever he/she is selfish, just admits truly that he wants to do something selfish. If they explain it that way, I atleast can relate to it, because in the end, dont most people need other people for stuff?
Cheers for those podcasts. I have a 2 hour bus journey to and from school everyday, so those are much appreciated
Sure. As far as religion goes, no, I'm not skeptical at all. I'm already convinced that every major religion is wrong XD
i don't know why i feel so dry
Scepticism is lovely, with the exception of climate change scepticism.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
yes im the only atheist blacksheep in my family and have been for a couple years
I strongly doubt everyone in this thread is as skeptical as they claim to be.

I'll show myself out..
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I used to be very superstitious when I played pokemon. I would close my eyes whenever it said "STARMIE is confused" or if I threw a pokeball as if it would help.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
I'm generally very skeptical, especially since I started reading philosophers like Hume and Popper. Mostly I guess towards: religion, aliens, alternative medicine and crazy environmentalist claims(I don't mean global warming).
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by Mudmen190

False, you can also be a Christian Freethinker.

If you questioned the existence and then somehow found magical evidence that the Christian God exists, you would still fall under the category. A lot of typical 'intellectual atheists' would think that you are unsound, but they cannot deny you of your validity.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
False, you can also be a Christian Freethinker.

If you questioned the existence and then somehow found magical evidence that the Christian God exists, you would still fall under the category. A lot of typical 'intellectual atheists' would think that you are unsound, but they cannot deny you of your validity.

I disagree. Any person who claims to be a skeptic and yet is a theist because of personal revelation is admitting they're not a skeptic - The simplest explanation for you hearing a gods words is not that a god exists, but that your mistaken in your experience or even insane. We have evidence of people going insane, it's a documented fact that it happens.
User name says yes.

Im skeptical of all things relating to a deity or 'higher power' that governs any laws of nature. Anything transcendent of our a priori knowledge.
Apart from that I'd say I'm just more of a bitter, twisted cynic and a rational thinker. I refuse to believe in anything supernatural and that everything has an explanation relating to what can be empirically verified.
Page 1 of 2